F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW extended warranty - oil leak repair (vcg - N55)
ARMA SPEED

05-22-2023, 07:03 AM   #1
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Question BMW extended warranty - oil leak repair (vcg - N55)

Diagnosed (based on research) before even taking into the dealer as a valve cover leak, a common fault with the N55. I had cleaned the oil pan twice, to after some driving finding oil residue. The dealer cleaned on the third occasion + added some white spray, asking me to return after some driving for a final check, due to it being ‘insured warranty’.

BMW warranty is well reviewed nearly everywhere, but I am unsure about my specific scenario.

The valve cover gasket, and cylinder head gasket (does not seem common unless running high boost/tuned) are being replaced. I did enquire about the valve cover itself as if that has any small cracks or fractures the gasket replacements will not fix the oil weeping out, to which it is causing the oil burning smell.

Anyone had their valve cover including gasket replaced under warranty, or is this the expected procedure? They don’t provide loan cars and it’s difficult with work to be going there repeatedly, especially if it’s the same problem.

Also, if it does arise that the cover was also contributing to the leak, that would be another excess charge later down the line whereas if sorted now the part would be pre assembled for fitting (arrives with the gasket sorted in place).
Appreciate 1
danb19791897.00
      05-22-2023, 07:15 AM   #2
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post
Diagnosed (based on research) before even taking into the dealer as a valve cover leak, a common fault with the N55. I had cleaned the oil pan twice, to after some driving finding oil residue. The dealer cleaned on the third occasion + added some white spray, asking me to return after some driving for a final check, due to it being ‘insured warranty’.

BMW warranty is well reviewed nearly everywhere, but I am unsure about my specific scenario.

The valve cover gasket, and cylinder head gasket (does not seem common unless running high boost/tuned) are being replaced. I did enquire about the valve cover itself as if that has any small cracks or fractures the gasket replacements will not fix the oil weeping out, to which it is causing the oil burning smell.

Anyone had their valve cover including gasket replaced under warranty, or is this the expected procedure? They don’t provide loan cars and it’s difficult with work to be going there repeatedly, especially if it’s the same problem.

Also, if it does arise that the cover was also contributing to the leak, that would be another excess charge later down the line whereas if sorted now the part would be pre assembled for fitting (arrives with the gasket sorted in place).
So I've had a bit of warranty work done to my 325D very recently and it's all been absolutely spot on, and all I've paid for are the £250 excess fees

The most recent work was a full rocker gasket & inlet manifold change and once they'd done that and took it for a test drive; it then had an error stored for the O2 sensors; so they got replaced before the car was released to me...

So all in, c£1400 of parts and god knows how much labour; for the £250 excess!

I also had some other warranty work done earlier this year and one part was an intermittent horn... Typical it didn't play up when they had it in!

The other work was done; zero issues. But the horn issue rose its ugly head again a few weeks later; I took it back to them and they took it in and fixed it, under the other warranty work done a few weeks previously. So I didn't have to pay anything further...

Hope that helps/gives you an insight
      05-23-2023, 02:39 PM   #3
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1979 View Post
So I've had a bit of warranty work done to my 325D very recently and it's all been absolutely spot on, and all I've paid for are the £250 excess fees

The most recent work was a full rocker gasket & inlet manifold change and once they'd done that and took it for a test drive; it then had an error stored for the O2 sensors; so they got replaced before the car was released to me...

So all in, c£1400 of parts and god knows how much labour; for the £250 excess!

I also had some other warranty work done earlier this year and one part was an intermittent horn... Typical it didn't play up when they had it in!

The other work was done; zero issues. But the horn issue rose its ugly head again a few weeks later; I took it back to them and they took it in and fixed it, under the other warranty work done a few weeks previously. So I didn't have to pay anything further...

Hope that helps/gives you an insight
Thanks, that was indeed useful! I was under the impression it’s the excess level chosen per item/part grouping!

They did explain what work was done in the end, and a full parts/labour breakdown is to follow from BMW UK in the next few days. I’m estimating ~£1100, as no valve cover was changed, just a cylinder head gasket and a sump gasket.

I’ll have a look under the bonnet and take a photo for comparison purposes (a few months down the line), to see if any residue has built up.

I did also have it in for a weird issue with my wing mirror rising up rather than dipping, but I told them not to bother as it had only done it once in 2 months, rather than the 8 occasions in 1 month (December). Good to know if it reoccurs it might be part of this excess payment.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 04:21 PM   #4
SimonBMW1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

Had this fixed under good will on my old n20.
Common issue so bmw covered it, no warranty. Was a few years ago though when companies wernt tight
Appreciate 0