F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Manual or Automatic
GetBMWParts

03-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #23
AlexM
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
How many longtime MT drivers getting an F30 are going to switch camps and get the AT?
I am in that same situation - have driven MT since I got my first car in 1980 - but keep waffling between MT and AT.

Previously I could justify MT since it was less money AND more efficient. But, with the big improvement in performance & fuel economy of the new 8AT, and the fact that it is no extra cost in the US, curious to hear opinions from MT drivers.
I drove stick for almost 20 years now and after trying new autos on 335 and 328 i have to say i was too impressed not to have it in my new baby. Also, having 80% of driving in the city, i got fed up a bit with MT, so some change will be good I can always go back to MT with my next car hehe

X6 M50d Tanzanite Blue
F36 440i GC/retired; F30 328i/retired; E92 335i/retired
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #24
CJF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White machine

i'd highly prefer a manual. driver engagement and all. the wife cannot drive a manual- and that is my only hesitation.

my first bmw was an e46 325i, awesome little car. i'd likely still have it if it was a manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #25
Kabz
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGuyadeen View Post
Thats just a matter of mind power!! I never text in my car even at red llight because it can wait. I do answer my phone through bluetooth so i can keep my hand on the whell
I never text either, I made it a personal rule.
Sometimes though, there are time sensitive business situations -- so having to shift -- my chance of touching my phone is like 10%
Driving automatics, that may make it a little bit higher because it's simply "Easier"

I make it a point to leave the mobile alone.

About 90% of the terrible drivers I see on the road (and you should know being in South FL) are using their cell phones, swerving into the opposite lane -- or they are texting, looking DOWN instead of at the road -- then these people swerve once they realize they have been looking away too long.
Unfortunately, 80% of the time I see this it is a woman. Just my personal experience with the matter.

I think it's good that we brought up the whole text and drive thing, because I hope everyone tries to eliminate it from their driving habits!

(Plus using Siri to text and email on the iPhone 4S only makes me have to press one button)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Your post says it all !!! I could not agree more with you!

Thanks. I see you are doing ED for your 335! That sounds great - hope to see it documented when you get there. Driving in Europe is so much fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #26
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Everytime i pull up behind someone and they are driving slow, 90% of the time they are occupied with there phones. It should be illegal in florida to use a cellphone while driving, i would sign off on that in a second
      03-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #27
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabz View Post
I never text either, I made it a personal rule.
Sometimes though, there are time sensitive business situations -- so having to shift -- my chance of touching my phone is like 10%
Driving automatics, that may make it a little bit higher because it's simply "Easier"

I make it a point to leave the mobile alone.

About 90% of the terrible drivers I see on the road (and you should know being in South FL) are using their cell phones, swerving into the opposite lane -- or they are texting, looking DOWN instead of at the road -- then these people swerve once they realize they have been looking away too long.
Unfortunately, 80% of the time I see this it is a woman. Just my personal experience with the matter.

I think it's good that we brought up the whole text and drive thing, because I hope everyone tries to eliminate it from their driving habits!

(Plus using Siri to text and email on the iPhone 4S only makes me have to press one button)

Thanks. I see you are doing ED for your 335! That sounds great - hope to see it documented when you get there. Driving in Europe is so much fun.

Yes i agree my fellow floridian. Like you said certain situations if i absolutely need to when i get to a Stop light i will do it. People in Miami are inconsiderate drivers who only care about themselves i got hit on my E90 because some coke head was texting and didn't see traffic stopped and Hit me right in the back. Plus he had no insurance and when he hit me since it was at a red light i was in neutral i hit the guy in front of me Fellow BMW LOL thank god And we had to go to Court so i took my day of work to go to the Courthouse at cutler ridge. He never showed up the Judge droped it in 20 Seconds.

Sorry for my rant
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #28
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Everytime i pull up behind someone and they are driving slow, 90% of the time they are occupied with there phones. It should be illegal in florida to use a cellphone while driving, i would sign off on that in a second
Yup i will no hesitate to sign on that. I get it you need to talk on the phone because something happend important. But most people just do it for entertainment the Enterment is the road looking at the scenery.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #29
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335is

manual - amen

Thinking of F80
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #30
jon328i
Wheelmaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39, S209, VB-WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I just feel more connected to my car with a manual gearbox.
I Agree!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #31
nexusonemeover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY20 F87 LBB 6mt

i went with the mt. sweet clutch and gate.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #32
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Good to know - is the 6mt smoother than in the E90, and the clutch easier on the leg in heavy traffic?

It's just that I've had 3 BMWs from new now, only one of which I've had beyond 10,000 miles. The gearboxes don't seem to become a real pleasure to use until at least that point as they're so damn stiff. I'd prefer to have to avoid the need to go through that whole process again.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #33
SGScuba
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

MTs are more engaging and fun to drive with...unless you live/work/regularly drive in heavily congested urban areas, then it becomes a major PITA.

I've had my Audi TT for 4+ years, gotten really used to the convenience of an auto coupled with the responsiveness of DSG, plus I have paddles to play with when I want to be in control of my car.

Have been driving my brother's M5 manual quite a lot in the past month, which is great fun when the roads are clear, except that I get caught in bad "stop-go, stop-go" traffic on a part of my drive most days. That's when I really dislike how my quads have to work out on the heavy clutch so much.

So, OP, what's your daily/regular driving environment?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #34
BonanzaNLD
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: waiting for...328i (F30)

Driving to the office every day and getting stuck in traffic jams will make you beg for an AT... cannot imagine that Dutch buyers would not opt for the AT.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #35
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGScuba View Post
So, OP, what's your daily/regular driving environment?
I have a 13 mile commute each way, roughly 50/50 mix of suburban and highway with some stop-and-go. I have rarely ever wished for AT due to traffic conditions - usually only when I get stuck in jams going to baseball games.
I have realized, as others have stated here, that driving MT keeps me more connected to the driving experience - knowing what gear you are in & what gear you need next like planning downshift for some quick thrust for passing, making smooth upshifts & downshifts, etc. keeps it a more engaging experience than joint pointing the car and giving it some gas.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #36
volsfan0911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
I have a 13 mile commute each way, roughly 50/50 mix of suburban and highway with some stop-and-go. I have rarely ever wished for AT due to traffic conditions - usually only when I get stuck in jams going to baseball games.
I have realized, as others have stated here, that driving MT keeps me more connected to the driving experience - knowing what gear you are in & what gear you need next like planning downshift for some quick thrust for passing, making smooth upshifts & downshifts, etc. keeps it a more engaging experience than joint pointing the car and giving it some gas.
LMAO - I commute in the Washington DC metro area (2nd worst traffic in the US behind LA) and I still drive a stick right now. Fortunately, my GTI (like all the rest) has a light clutch and really good takeup. I had swapped out for a Dieselgeek Short Shift kit earlier and the only truly "bad" times are when I'm 'stuck' between 1st and 2nd gear. Thanks to hellacious torque (go APR!) I can lug it in 2nd from practically 800 rpm up and still pull out cleanly. So the bad situations are minimal. I just hate being stuck in traffic and wasting 2 hours a day sucking exhaust fumes when I could be doing something productive instead!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #37
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

I love driving a manual, and in fact, I currently have the 6MT in my 335xi. However, I'm sick of stop-and-go stuck in traffic that seems to account for the majority of my driving these days. I've gone back and forth, but for the next car, it's going to be the 8AT in the 328i. Like an earlier poster said, I can always go back after that if I choose.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #38
carve29
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2003 M3, 2012 335is

Gotta get MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon328i View Post
I Agree!
I completely agree. It's a very personal thing. It's about being connected and in control, especially as computers start to take over the driving experience. I have a 335d that I love but it wasn't available in MT. Ultimately, that will have me getting out of it early and into a 335i m sport. Let the shopping begin!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #39
Shahton
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

I've always been with Manual , and I think I will still be for some time, that's the best ways for me enjoy the ride and have the exact reactions I need from my car . with automatic I feel I have to accept what the car decides to do . also I must admit that the extra price tag for automatic has also a little part in that choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #40
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

For the past 35+ years, my daily drivers have been manual transmission cars, though all my other cars are automatics. Were I to buy an F30 today, and six months ago I wouldn't have said this, it'd be an automatic. For four reasons:
1 - The AT gets better fuel mileage;
2 - I'm getting tired of depressing the clutch;
3 - Last I read about it, the AT was a tiny bit faster out of the gate;
4 - I was given a 335 AT loaner for my last servicing and it felt just as fast, peppy, etc. as my manual does. Not as involving to just push the gas and go, but that didn't bother me much, if at all.

That said, I nonetheless have several pet peeves concerning automatics:
1 - It annoys me that I have to depress the brake to move the damn gearshift
2 - It annoys me that I have to put the car in park to get the key out (maybe the comfort access option would overcome this annoyance as I believe with that option one doesn't insert a key to begin with...I'll have to ask my daughter as her car I think has that feature. If it did, it'd be a good reason for me to want that option which I otherwise think a silly one. Does anyone here know?)
3 - You give up that little storage space in the pouches of the gearshift boot. I know that's pretty minor, but that little pouch holds quarters and catches things, most notably my cigarette lighter, that fly out of the small storage hold just rear of the gearshift...Yes, the design of the center console on the F30 is somewhat different than on the e92, but an MT will still have that little pouchy spot formed by the boot around the gearshift.
4 - Automatics require slightly more maintenance and are a tad bit heavier.
5 - If I'm in 2nd gear and I want to go to fourth gear, I have to go through third to get there. But then I guess the whole point of an automatic is not worrying about what gear one is in. All the same, an AT doesn't know what is coming up 1/2 a mile ahead and what gear I should be in when I get to that place, and that is the main reason I prefer a manual.

I read recently on this forum that BMW plan to come out with some sort of new MT. It it is as reported herein, it sounds like something I might prefer over the current MT implementation and the future AT implementations. And as I'm not buying an F30 today, I can wait and see what I think of it. If the new MT would mean I don't have to depress the clutch, it's what I would get; I like the control of choosing the gear I

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #41
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

FWIW, after starting this thread, I did end up with a 335i 6MT after putting in my order originally for 8AT. But, I expect to have the same internal debate in 3 years when the lease is up. At least I will get a bit of time in an AT during my PCD in a few more weeks.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #42
CasZy NL
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M4 | X5 | Z1

Garage List
2008 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
1991 BMW Z1  [10.00]
Although the new AT has two gears too many, I prefer AT above MT.

It clearly depends what you use it for, for pure fun I take the MT Z1. My soon coming F30 (with SAT) will be used primarily for business trips. If I want to play I can always use the flippers or gear lever... Best of both worlds!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #43
yakapo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Acura TSX 6 speed

Well my wife is taking my Acura TSX so I'm looking at the 328i. She absolutely refuses to drive an automatic. Like her, I've driven manuals my entire life but I'm considering the auto bmw. More so after watching this video -

What's totally crazy to me is that this 328i gets better gas mileage than my 4 cyl tsx and it has like 100 extra ft lbs of torque.

Here's my question: is the sport version of the auto any faster than the regular version?

edit: just a price comparison - a 2012 tsx v6 w/ the tech package is $38,650. Pricey for an acura but it comes with navi, premium DVDA audio system, rear view camera, etc. A lot of stuff is standard on all the models - leather, hid, heated seats, sunroof, power seats, bluetooth, usb ipod support...

looks like you don't get a lot of options standard on the 328i. I might have to wait a year or 2 and get a used one that's nicely equipped.

Last edited by yakapo; 06-10-2012 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #44
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Won't buy an F31 if I can't get a stick. Maybe pick up a used B7 A4 avant instead. Wouldn't be the end of the world, would save several truckloads of cash.
Appreciate 0