F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bonnet badge
ARMA SPEED

03-31-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
amsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 3 series

What have I done? What do I need to sort this out

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
WillLowe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435d

Looks like it's been bonded on previously and snapped the pins when you've removed it. Could try long nose pliers on the 3 pins. Failing that glue the badge back on? Ha
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 06:42 PM   #3
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

What car is this?
I'm asking as both my previous F30 & current F82 badges had/have a 2 pin fitting, with round plastic holding plugs in the bonnet that the 2 pins on the badges fit into.
The badge in the photo doesn't look to have any pins as you can see from where it's been stuck on. Very confusing...
      04-01-2019, 12:38 AM   #4
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
You need to look into getting all that black bonding crap off safely without damaging your paint. Then once it's all off order & purchase a new badge from BMW then fit correctly. Remember it doesn't cost to go to a dealer and ask one of their body shop guys/girls to have a look and give an opinion yes they will quote you silly money in a lot of cases but you don't have to agree just get the advice then do it yourself if you can.
      04-01-2019, 04:07 AM   #5
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
What car is this?
I'm asking as both my previous F30 & current F82 badges had/have a 2 pin fitting, with round plastic holding plugs in the bonnet that the 2 pins on the badges fit into.
The badge in the photo doesn't look to have any pins as you can see from where it's been stuck on. Very confusing...
I'm puzzled to, as I've had various BMW's over the last 26 years, and all have had badges held in by 2 pins.

However, lets work on the basis those 3 pins all fit into rubber grommets, like the other 2 pin versions, you should be able to prise out the 3 grommets complete with pins. Failing that, drill out the pins then remove the grommets.

As for all the black shit hopefully it's just some kind of silicon adhesive, so you should be able to peel it off with a plastic tool of some description.

Obviously you'll need a new badge and 3 new grommets.

Last edited by Russbmw; 04-01-2019 at 04:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Its a F30 3 series, the badge seems ok but I have ordered new grommets, bmw said I only need two though
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsbmw View Post
Its a F30 3 series, the badge seems ok but I have ordered new grommets, bmw said I only need two though
In that case it's a crappy fake badge you have on. BMW ones have 2 pins only.
I suspect that when you get the black adhesive stuff off, you're going to find the two pin holes.
Then just get a proper badge.
Looking at the photos more closely, I think you can just see the 'proper' plastic pin holder on the left. Looks like the other side may be missing, looks like the black stuff is filling a larger round hole where the pin holder should be.
      04-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #8
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well clearly that's not going to work now is it, as your badge has..... or had.....3 pins that have been cut or snapped off before the remains of whatever badge that is has been glued on.

Genuine BMW badges a have 2 pins at 9 and 3 o'clock positions.

As mentioned above, you need a proper badge to fit into the 2 new rubber grommets you'll have, that will themselves fit into the 2 holes you'll find when you get all that black shit off.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

Never had the badge off so no help whatsoever, but if the left picture is the rear of the badge they've gone to a lot of effort if it is fake with the BMW logo, date stamps and part numbers etched into it, seems odd they would go to that lengths for the rear of the badge which is unlikely to ever be seem by anyone, if they went that far surely they could of got the amount of pins right.
Appreciate 2
      04-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

I had a badge pinched and they snapped it off leaving broken pins in the holes. I drilled into the centre of each pin with the thinnest drill I have and made a hole all the way through. Then inserted the thinnest screw they I had into the hole, screwed it in far enough to take hold, then pulled the screw and pin out with pliers. The new badge went straight in. I would clean the glue off and try that. The badges aren’t too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #11
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Quote:
Well clearly that's not going to work now is it, as your badge has..... or had.....3 pins that have been cut or snapped off before the remains of whatever badge that is has been glued on.

Genuine BMW badges a have 2 pins at 9 and 3 o'clock positions.

As mentioned above, you need a proper badge to fit into the 2 new rubber grommets you'll have, that will themselves fit into the 2 holes you'll find when you get all that black shit off.
Realoem says this is the right part number for my car.

Have you had your badge off before?

Mines is a 2014 F30 m sport. Bought it a year old so it may have been done before I got it but not during my time
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #12
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
I had a badge pinched and they snapped it off leaving broken pins in the holes. I drilled into the centre of each pin with the thinnest drill I have and made a hole all the way through. Then inserted the thinnest screw they I had into the hole, screwed it in far enough to take hold, then pulled the screw and pin out with pliers. The new badge went straight in. I would clean the glue off and try that. The badges aren’t too expensive.
Was it similar to the pictures I have posted?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

I've personally only ever seen the two pin variety, but this suggests some are just stuck on.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...trips/BzR0jPJK

Also here:

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1075438
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #14
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:

Thanks
I can vouch that the photo shows an original bonnet badge but it looks like it has been reapplied with some form of silicon as the original is held by double sided tape and centered on the raised 3 mounts.
      04-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #15
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbm View Post
Quote:

Thanks
I can vouch that the photo shows an original bonnet badge but it looks like it has been reapplied with some form of silicon as the original is held by double sided tape and centered on the raised 3 mounts.
Im even more confused now, looked on ebay, both genuine badges ,

First one looks like mines,

Second has the inserts on it ( but mines are suck on the actual bumper)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #16
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Mines is a 2014 F30 m sport. Bought it a year old so it may have been done before I got it but not during my time
Yes.

E34 front
E36 front and rear
E39 front and rear
E46 (x 3) front and rear
E93 front and rear
E92 front and rear
E70 front

All of which, without exception, have been 2 pin badges.

However my 2015 435 sport was fine, as is the current 640, although the rear one that flips open for the the rear camera i was thinking of replacing and couldn’t see how th 2 pin thing would work, so perhaps that one is just stuck on. That is good news if that’s the case! Anyway....

I don’t know what advice you are looking for? Personally I’ve only seen 2 pin badges that are fixed with rubber grommets.

The links above do imply there are adhesive versions, which would explain your situation and badge, which as someone else pointed out does have BMW markings.

If you went to BMW and gave them your chassis or reg number, and they sold you 2 rubber grommets, then something is amiss somewhere, as their system is suggesting your car should, as we’ve said, have a badge with 2 pins and 2 grommets.

However, you don’t seem to have that. So either their system is wrong, or their parts guy is a numpty, or you simply went in and asked for 2 badge grommets.

Either way, it would seem the answer is still pretty straight forward. Clean black shit off the bonnet, fix badge back on with whatever oem fixing system it needs.

If your badge is self adhesive, then you’ll probably need a new badge, nevertheless, see above: clean black shit off, wipe with solvent cleaner of some description to make sure adhesive will stick properly, stick new badge on.

Last edited by Russbmw; 04-02-2019 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #17
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Quote:

Yes.

E34 front
E36 front and rear
E39 front and rear
E46 (x 3) front and rear
E93 front and rear
E92 front and rear
E70 front

All of which, without exception, have been 2 pin badges.

However my 2015 435 sport was fine, as is the current 640, although the rear one that flips open for the the rear camera i was thinking of replacing and couldn't see how th 2 pin thing would work, so perhaps that one is just stuck on. That is good news if that's the case! Anyway....

I don't know what advice you are looking for? Personally I've only seen 2 pin badges that are fixed with rubber grommets.

The links above do imply there are adhesive versions, which would explain your situation and badge, which as someone else pointed out does have BMW markings.

If you went to BMW and gave them your chassis or reg number, and they sold you 2 rubber grommets, then something is amiss somewhere, as their system is suggesting your car should, as we've said, have a badge with 2 pins and 2 grommets.

However, you don't seem to have that. So either their system is wrong, or their parts guy is a numpty, or you simply went in and asked for 2 badge grommets.

Either way, it would seem the answer is still pretty straight forward. Clean black shit off the bonnet, fix badge back on with whatever oem fixing system it needs.

If your badge is self adhesive, then you'll probably need a new badge, nevertheless, see above: clean black shit off, wipe with solvent cleaner of some description to make sure adhesive will stick properly, stick new badge on.
I went into bmw today.

This is their badge compared to mines ( same)

And the plastic grommets he gave me,

I will clean the all the crap of and go from there
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      04-04-2019, 02:10 AM   #18
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Quote:
Was it similar to the pictures I have posted?
Different to yours, E90. It was the drilling out of the broken off pins that I was trying to help you with.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #19
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
What car is this?
Looks like a BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #20
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Just to update this thread

The pins weren't broken, when someone has taken the badge of previously they couldn't stick it back on to due to tape around it so they decided to use some sort of sealant m

Hair dryer took the sealant off with the paint, put some clear lacquer on and bought a new badge
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #21
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Attached Images

12-31-2019, 12:06 AM   #22
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Just to update this thread

The pins weren't broken, when someone has taken the badge of previously they couldn't stick it back on to due to tape around it so they decided to use some sort of sealant m

Hair dryer took the sealant off with the paint, put some clear lacquer on and bought a new badge
Seems to be badge confusion with the F30. My front badge has those two knubs that are just there for alignment since it's really held on by 3M type double-sided molding tape. Rear badge has the two traditional pins that fit into grommets that fit into holes in the body.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0