F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > zf8 gripe, surely I can turn this off??
Studio RSR

11-08-2019, 03:13 AM   #45
djcowlin
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by un1eash View Post
Automated car wash that pulls the car through, but why anyone would be using one of them is the question you should be asking.
US thing?
      11-08-2019, 06:53 AM   #46
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by demc1982 View Post
I have changed my driving style after reading some of the comments on here regarding not slow coasting and leaving it in drive.
What were the comments?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 07:08 AM   #47
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Do appreciate your original point though. Although it's purportedly illegal to coast, is nice to have the option and as you say, lots of other manufacturers don't restrict their auto box.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 07:10 AM   #48
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

I'm amazed st all the quirks people have when driving. I just drive with the car in D and that's pretty much it for a journey, maybe with the occasional push left for a quicker entry to a roundabout. I certainly don't use N for anything when driving. If stationary for more than a minute or so I might put it into P if I can't see me moving for a while longer, but that's about it.

I too am not sure why N exists, but would rather BMW and ZF told me how to use it than speculation on here.

And in 30 years of driving I've never had to reverse with the door open.
Appreciate 3
Wills28656.00
335dX430.00
      11-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #49
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainy View Post
That'd be about right.....going backwards (slowly), so no real need for a seatbelt and no real way you can look out of the open door......which genius thought that one up.
The seat belt 'get around' seems to be part of the interlock, to ensure safety, like shutting the driver's door properly, (without a seatbelt), before you can get Drive or reverse. Accommodating those who can't be trusted to drive safely.

Who's liable if you smash into something, with your head out of the door? You can hear it, "BMW shouldn't have let me do it".
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      11-08-2019, 07:20 AM   #50
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Guess it is a bit of a quirk.

I'm constantly changing between D and S, plus switching the SS off/on.

To OP - as previously alluded to, the closest you're going to get to being able to coast in neutral is putting it into eco pro, which apparently does exactly the same when not applying throttle?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #51
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I'm amazed st all the quirks people have when driving. I just drive with the car in D and that's pretty much it for a journey, maybe with the occasional push left for a quicker entry to a roundabout. I certainly don't use N for anything when driving. If stationary for more than a minute or so I might put it into P if I can't see me moving for a while longer, but that's about it.

I too am not sure why N exists, but would rather BMW and ZF told me how to use it than speculation on here.

Agree we do see some strange driving quirks across the forums.

Neutral is not required for normal driving of an Auto. Has it's place, but not something most will need in normal day to day driving.

We have Neutral, and where it is in the shifter sequence, due to legislation from many moons ago. "P-R-N-D-L" became the accepted industry standard to simplify driving (and add safety) when using different Autos. We don't often see the L (Low) on most modern Autos, but the same layout continues today.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #52
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Start engine
Press Sport
Put into D

Sometimes use the handbrake, not very often though. Its still in D until I want to Reverse or I switch the engine off.

Never used Neutral, although it will let me put it into neutral while driving along as long as my foot isn't on the accelerator. I can then put it back into D without touching the brakes or pressing the release button.
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #53
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstin View Post
I think you can have the door open if your seatbelt is on?
That'd be about right.....going backwards (slowly), so no real need for a seatbelt and no real way you can look out of the open door......which genius thought that one up.
Let's not forget poor Brian Harvey
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #54
Busted
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
wow! How did you even remember this!!?? Big fan i take it!??
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #55
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #56
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:

Agree, .. I see no need to put the car in neutral during a car journey with an automatic
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      11-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #57
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

I don't like sitting clamped on hot brakes so I use Park.

I also rarely use Stop/Start, but I discovered that you can put it into P while stopped on the stop/start, remove foot from brake, then once you reapply brake and shift into D, the car will start. Occasionally useful.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #58
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:

I too am not sure why N exists, but would rather BMW and ZF told me how to use it than speculation on here..
As previously mentioned, some car washes pull the vehicle through.
Also, how would you move the car with no power? If it’s in gear or park, you’re stuck.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #59
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted View Post
Quote:
Look I'm just happy that next time I'm eating a baked potato while reversing with my door open, someone at BMW is looking out for me
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #60
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Apparently when he came round in hospital and asked whether he was going to be able to walk again, all the medical staff started started singing "all right, all right, everything's gonna be alright !"

I'll get my coat
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      11-10-2019, 06:47 AM   #61
jdrally
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Apparently when he came round in hospital and asked whether he was going to be able to walk again, all the medical staff started started singing "all right, all right, everything's gonna be alright !"

I'll get my coat
Thought you would of said that the good news is that you can walk again, but the bad news is you can still sing.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #62
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

I'll get my coat
I heard that when it was time to be discharged they asked him to stay another day....
      11-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #63
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I heard that when it was time to be discharged they asked him to stay another day....
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      11-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #64
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

I suppose I'm a bit different given the only times I let the car stay in Drive is in the thick of nyc traffic but outside of the I've been enjoying using manual mode exclusively.

I also roll the car into neutral when at stop lights since my F30 misses the auto halt function that my G05 X5 has to avoid the foot fatigue when at a stop for a decent amount of time.

I do understand my driving habits are probably apart of a much smaller crowd but it's second nature to me now not using N for coasting but more so to avoid sitting with the brakes applied occasionally (I don't do this when I know I'll have to shift back into gear soon as it's pointless then) and our zf8 tranny sings much better to me when I tell the gearbox to shift.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #65
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcowlin View Post
Quote:
Automated car wash that pulls the car through, but why anyone would be using one of them is the question you should be asking.
US thing?
Any car wash that puss the car along...which is loads in the UK.

No one else ever done an ASDA or Tesco wash

P, S or R! Will be a bit of a problem and engine isn't supposed to be running so engine off whilst in N.

Last few cars have been coated so it's been a long time, I'm genuinely surprised people haven't seen this. Maybe more car washes are jet spray jobs now.
      11-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #66
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcowlin View Post
Quote:
US thing?
Any car wash that puss the car along...which is loads in the UK.

No one else ever done an ASDA or Tesco wash

P, S or R! Will be a bit of a problem and engine isn't supposed to be running so engine off whilst in N.

Last few cars have been coated so it's been a long time, I'm genuinely surprised people haven't seen this. Maybe more car washes are jet spray jobs now.
I doubt there's many people on here that would subject their car to a mechanical carwash.
Appreciate 0