F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
ARMA SPEED

04-24-2024, 11:47 AM   #13091
usta83
Rep
Drives: BMW 116 (F20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
This has reduced the latency of the music a lot!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #13092
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by usta83 View Post
This has reduced the latency of the music a lot!
Good information. Glad it helped!
      Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #13093
Coderedpl
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Recently got mine and installed in my F80. I purchased the MMI box from Andream for the sole purpose of Android Auto, my 2018 VW had it and my wife's 2018 Q7 has it but my 2018 BMW doesn't 🤦‍♂️

Pretty easy to install, a bunch of fiddling with the wires to get it all back together. The screen right angle connector gave me a bit of trouble to find that perfect spot to put the screen back on.

Everything appears to work properly, thankfully we can use full Bluetooth from the car which is awesome, plays music and takes calls without an issue. I tested it a few times.

Some things I noticed:
* No factory touchscreen capabilities, not a big deal as i rarely use the factory one anyway

* Can't change to next song using wheel controls like you normally would (while on the MMI/Android Auto screen)

* When you're on a call with someone, you'll see it on Android Auto, but if you go back to the BMW menu mid call, you'll still see the call there too.

* Same goes for the music. I have Spotify playing on Android Auto, I see it there but if I go back to main screen, I also see it on the car side

* Get in car, start car and it connects via wireless pretty quick for Android Auto.

* Wired android auto works aswell with the USB connection but there is a delay. You'll connect it, go to wired auto. It'll say to connect device, and then a few seconds later on that screen it'll start.

* Minor annoyance is the delay of shut off, I'm assuming it has to do with the 10-15 minutes before car goes to sleep. I rarely lock my car in my garage and sometimes I'll come home and start doing things inside said garage, and I'll turn on my Bluetooth speaker. During that 10-15 minute window, my phone just keeps trying to connect and reconnect to both the WiFi and Bluetooth of the MMI box, causing interruptions of playback but also notifications on the phone saying, oh android auto is available blah blah. This also seems to happen if I wake my car up for whatever reason like when I went to vacuum the interior, and it kept causing my music to stop because it would try to connect to the MMI box.

* If you want to use the "YouTube" app, you'll have to turn off use Car Bluetooth option. Makes sense to me.
* Rear camera works without issue
* Microphone works without issue

I haven't messed around with it much more yet but it does seem to work for what ifs supposed to do, granted it will have some limitations but what I'm most happy about is that there isn't a loss in Audio Quality thanks to using car BT.
Appreciate 1
fe7565552.50
      Yesterday, 09:29 PM   #13094
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coderedpl View Post
Recently got mine and installed in my F80. I purchased the MMI box from Andream for the sole purpose of Android Auto, my 2018 VW had it and my wife's 2018 Q7 has it but my 2018 BMW doesn't ��‍♂️

Pretty easy to install, a bunch of fiddling with the wires to get it all back together. The screen right angle connector gave me a bit of trouble to find that perfect spot to put the screen back on.

Everything appears to work properly, thankfully we can use full Bluetooth from the car which is awesome, plays music and takes calls without an issue. I tested it a few times.

Some things I noticed:
* No factory touchscreen capabilities, not a big deal as i rarely use the factory one anyway

* Can't change to next song using wheel controls like you normally would (while on the MMI/Android Auto screen)

* When you're on a call with someone, you'll see it on Android Auto, but if you go back to the BMW menu mid call, you'll still see the call there too.

* Same goes for the music. I have Spotify playing on Android Auto, I see it there but if I go back to main screen, I also see it on the car side

* Get in car, start car and it connects via wireless pretty quick for Android Auto.

* Wired android auto works aswell with the USB connection but there is a delay. You'll connect it, go to wired auto. It'll say to connect device, and then a few seconds later on that screen it'll start.

* Minor annoyance is the delay of shut off, I'm assuming it has to do with the 10-15 minutes before car goes to sleep. I rarely lock my car in my garage and sometimes I'll come home and start doing things inside said garage, and I'll turn on my Bluetooth speaker. During that 10-15 minute window, my phone just keeps trying to connect and reconnect to both the WiFi and Bluetooth of the MMI box, causing interruptions of playback but also notifications on the phone saying, oh android auto is available blah blah. This also seems to happen if I wake my car up for whatever reason like when I went to vacuum the interior, and it kept causing my music to stop because it would try to connect to the MMI box.

* If you want to use the "YouTube" app, you'll have to turn off use Car Bluetooth option. Makes sense to me.
* Rear camera works without issue
* Microphone works without issue

I haven't messed around with it much more yet but it does seem to work for what ifs supposed to do, granted it will have some limitations but what I'm most happy about is that there isn't a loss in Audio Quality thanks to using car BT.
Nice write up!

I use CarPlay, but some of these may apply universally or to AA...

For steering wheel control scroll, try to code (Bimmercode expert or other).
These are CIC and NBT, so if you have NBT EVO use the equivalent codes:

BASIS_KOMBI_MMI_LIST = aktiv

or...

HU_NBT > KOMBI_CIC > kombi_low

and MMI_List > aktiv

----------------------
Phone call issues:

Make sure that in the phone Bluetooth settings the device is set to "car speaker" and that you have given the myriad of permissions that Android requires for BLE and wifi connections.

If no go: try to delete all BLE connections from car and MMI and phone and re-pair all of them again ( I know it's a pain)

If no go: then may want to try to use only BLE between the phone and the MMI only...or the phone and the car only (do not see much benefit).

==================

The MMI seems to boot up at times a fraction later than the HU. This causes an internal CID bus error that you cannot see unless you use ISTA+, but you can ignore it. But this is also happening when powering off the HU and the MMI. That's when you see the "No Signal" in the CID. This is something that short of a hardware solution the Chinese manufacturer should be fixing via coding.
-------------------------------------

I tried using YouTube but could not set it up. Gave up after a couple of tries since it's not a priority. How did you get yours working?

--------------------------

Yes, as long as you are in BLE range of the car with your phone, it will want to stay connected or may reconnect.

At times, if you go out of BLE range, and then return about 10-20 mins later (assuming that the HU did not yet go to sleep) the MMI will not reconnect to my phone via BLE. May be 1 out of 10 times. I have to press BACK button for 3+ secs to reboot MMI and then it reconnects 19 out of 20 times. If that does not work, I may have to delete the phone to MMI BLE link and re-pair again.

Last edited by fe7565; Yesterday at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:05 AM   #13095
Nath4n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7_M50d(2020), X5_30d(2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migz71 View Post
This is not version 1.7x update its just a mcu update. Is there a 1.7x update out for the Andream mmi's yet? Cheers
What about re-reading my post again? Try it a bit slower...

I never said it's FW update.
Appreciate 0