F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Weird Starting Issue*HELP*!
proTUNING Freaks

08-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Weird Starting Issue*HELP*!

Hello F30 crowd.

I have this weird starting issue where the car tries to engage, but just goes up to ready and then drops. It makes the appropriate noises as if it going to try to engage, but the starter does not engage. This happens randomly and usually at the second press of the Starter Button the car fires right up. Today the car would not start after a few short trips and it gave me the malfunction indication for ignition, but after a few tries the car fired up. Took it home and then she would fire again and again for like 10 times and then the problem came back as it usually does. So the problem is existing and I am not sure what it could be. I will check the system voltage on the hidden menu and see if its within specs.

History:

The original Battery was replaced in Sept 2014. So this one has been there for nearly three years.

I have a CTEK MUS4.3 Test and Charge unit and it states the battery is good, but I am not 100% sure.

I am leaning towards a possible bad battery cell, but given that its three years old I am not sure.

If it is the battery, what do you guys recommend BMW for 250 or another 92AH AGM from another source?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #2
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
Hello F30 crowd.

I have this weird starting issue where the car tries to engage, but just goes up to ready and then drops. It makes the appropriate noises as if it going to try to engage, but the starter does not engage. This happens randomly and usually at the second press of the Starter Button the car fires right up. Today the car would not start after a few short trips and it gave me the malfunction indication for ignition, but after a few tries the car fired up. Took it home and then she would fire again and again for like 10 times and then the problem came back as it usually does. So the problem is existing and I am not sure what it could be. I will check the system voltage on the hidden menu and see if its within specs.

History:

The original Battery was replaced in Sept 2014. So this one has been there for nearly three years.

I have a CTEK MUS4.3 Test and Charge unit and it states the battery is good, but I am not 100% sure.

I am leaning towards a possible bad battery cell, but given that its three years old I am not sure.

If it is the battery, what do you guys recommend BMW for 250 or another 92AH AGM from another source?
Possibly could be a weak battery, but its apparent random occurrence makes that questionable. Do you have any other electrical issues occurring. My initial reaction is an intermittent issue with the starter/starter solenoid . Pull the codes to see if there is any clues there.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Possibly could be a weak battery, but its apparent random occurrence makes that questionable. Do you have any other electrical issues occurring. My initial reaction is an intermittent issue with the starter/starter solenoid . Pull the codes to see if there is any clues there.
I will pull some codes soon. Car is CPO, but I like to troubleshoot and if its the battery I rather not pay the dealer 400 USD when I can do it for a fraction.

I was wondering if anyone had similar issues. Today I tested the battery with the voltmeter and the CTEK and it was low (I guess its not holding charge, maybe a bad cell). That could be the reason, but I will keep trouble shooting.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #4
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update...

Tried to diagnose some more. I finally got Diagnosis software in the laptop so I will try to pull some codes. So far the battery its not the problem I spent a few days troubleshooting that.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
Update...

Tried to diagnose some more. I finally got Diagnosis software in the laptop so I will try to pull some codes. So far the battery its not the problem I spent a few days troubleshooting that.
What's your battery reading at? If it's reading on the low side of acceptable, that might explain the issue of not wanting to start on the first go after sitting for awhile - or failing to start after 10 consecutive starts without letting the alternator charge it.

The car does all kinds of things when you unlock the car that drain battery power, such as priming the fuel pump and opening vents and such.
Appreciate 0