F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Buzzing/whirring/bearing type noise while driving - fuel pump? other?
GetBMWParts

09-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
Flot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Buzzing/whirring/bearing type noise while driving - fuel pump? other?

2014 435i / 30k miles

I'm getting an annoying buzzing/whirring/bad bearing noise while driving. I only hear it when I'm going 20-60 mph with the windows down - but for instance on a quiet night, if I drive past a building near the road, or a box truck drives past me, I can clearly hear the noise my car is making over anything else.

It is NOT speed related, although I'm at a loss for why I don't hear it at idle or low speeds. It seems to be a constant noise regardless of how fast I am going.

Any thoughts? Could this be fuel pump noise? Water pump noise? Anything else that makes sense that I wouldn't hear it sitting still?

Car has been at the dealer for a few other issues lately, mentioned it to the SA twice as "can you also look at..." but they never did, admittedly on a traffic filled street in daytime I don't notice it either.

It is not the end of the world, but my primary warranty expiring in a few months so want to make sure it is taken care of if an issue. I don't believe my VIN was in the fuel pump recall.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:12 AM   #2
F30_n55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i n55

Did they ever fix this?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Flot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_n55 View Post
Did they ever fix this?
They did not, the service adviser drove around with me for 20 minutes and insisted he couldn't hear anything so I gave up. However, I did notice that the sound changes slightly when applying the brakes which makes me think it is mechanical again.

I really can't explain it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_n55 View Post
Did they ever fix this?
They did not, the service adviser drove around with me for 20 minutes and insisted he couldn't hear anything so I gave up. However, I did notice that the sound changes slightly when applying the brakes which makes me think it is mechanical again.

I really can't explain it.
Could it be this?

A permanent Fix for the 335i/435i 2500 RPM Rattle/Buzzing/Whirring Noise? https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=949816
      04-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Flot
Private
Rep

I thought I'd follow up on this. I brought it up with the dealer again while they were fixing something else, and they handed it back and said "all is normal, it's the drilled brake rotors."

I thought this was a bunch of nonsense - my 135i ragtop also had drilled rotors and no such noise, but sure enough:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=826559

The thread above describes my problem exactly. And if I listen really carefully, I can imagine it may be coming from all 4 corners.

I guess I should stop trying to enjoy driving my convertible with the top down on quiet nights.

PS: I checked the A/C issue above, my car had the vibration-dampeners installed already.
Appreciate 0