F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > P3 Vent Gauge + Jb4 - Boost Only Install
Extreme Powerhouse

07-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
kevinjt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport 14'

Thumbs up P3 Vent Gauge + Jb4 - Boost Only Install

Some of you may have heard that the P3 vent gauge is not compatible when using JB4. This is somewhat true since they both are connected to the OBD2 port and they "fight" for the information which results in unwanted Jb4 behavior.

However! If you are like me, who really likes the P3 Gauge and really likes the JB4, there is a limited workaround. You can use the P3 vent gauge as an analog boost gauge only and it doesn't interferes with the JB4.

What's the plan?

You need to Tap and route a cable from the TMAP Sensor plug (JB4 harness) in the Charge Pipe all the way to the P3 control box blue cable (same route as the JB4 OBD2 cable)

What you Need? ( This was done on a N55 F30)

- Installed P3 In-vent Gauge

- Some 18 electrical wire - I bought 10' to be safe

- Quick Taps

- Installed JB4

- Took me around 40 mins including settings troubleshooting

Illustration thanks to P3 Support

After the installation is completed, we can proceed to configure the P3 Gauge.

Settings:

Make the following changes

- AUX Analog Input 2 (Default A2.n)

-- Change to A2.Y (This will tell the gauge to receive the signal signal via the blue wire)

- Car Settings (My default was Car.7)

-- Change the setting to AnL 9 ( This will tell the gauge to disable all OBD2 port activity except Positive and Ground)

Jb4 App working fine:
Not sure why all the 6's and blurry pic

If you have questions or want additional pics, just ask !

I gathered all the information from different sources but all of them helped me understand what had to be done.

Thanks to:

- Terry
- Matt from P3 Customer Support
- Jon from Burger Tuning Support
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjt View Post
Some of you may have heard that the P3 vent gauge is not compatible when using JB4. This is somewhat true since they both are connected to the OBD2 port and they "fight" for the information which results in unwanted Jb4 behavior.

However! If you are like me, who really likes the P3 Gauge and really likes the JB4, there is a limited workaround. You can use the P3 vent gauge as an analog boost gauge only and it doesn't interferes with the JB4.

What's the plan?

You need to Tap and route a cable from the TMAP Sensor plug (JB4 harness) in the Charge Pipe all the way to the P3 control box blue cable (same route as the JB4 OBD2 cable)

What you Need? ( This was done on a N55 F30)

- Installed P3 In-vent Gauge

- Some 18 electrical wire - I bought 10' to be safe

- Quick Taps

- Installed JB4

- Took me around 40 mins including settings troubleshooting

Illustration thanks to P3 Support

After the installation is completed, we can proceed to configure the P3 Gauge.

Settings:

Make the following changes

- AUX Analog Input 2 (Default A2.n)

-- Change to A2.Y (This will tell the gauge to receive the signal signal via the blue wire)

- Car Settings (My default was Car.7)

-- Change the setting to AnL 9 ( This will tell the gauge to disable all OBD2 port activity except Positive and Ground)

Jb4 App working fine:
Not sure why all the 6's and blurry pic

If you have questions or want additional pics, just ask !

I gathered all the information from different sources but all of them helped me understand what had to be done.

Thanks to:

- Terry
- Matt from P3 Customer Support
- Jon from Burger Tuning Support
Thanks for this! I used to run a P3 Gauge and a JB4 and I don't recall any issues. What are people saying it does?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
kevinjt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkeys View Post
Thanks for this! I used to run a P3 Gauge and a JB4 and I don't recall any issues. What are people saying it does?
Hey! .

It causes issues because both devices (Jb4 and P3) are trying to get information from the OBD2 port at the same time and this can cause issues that you would like to avoid (specially when we are talking about a Jb4 controlling fuel and boost)

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey! .

It causes issues because both devices (Jb4 and P3) are trying to get information from the OBD2 port at the same time and this can cause issues that you would like to avoid (specially when we are talking about a Jb4 controlling fuel and boost)

Cheers!
Hi,

Thanks for the note. What specifically does it do? Is it causing cars to run bad air fuel ratios and lean out or something?

Sorry... just trying to understand and see what issues people have had
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
kevinjt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the note. What specifically does it do? Is it causing cars to run bad air fuel ratios and lean out or something?

I'm not sure what are the consequences that running both devices at once could cause but I would not risk it.

Per Terry @ BMS

1. "The JB4 requires exclusive OBDII access to function properly."

2. "The JB4 relies on accurate and precise CANbus data for it's tuning on Stage2+, with a minimum frequency of 10hz, or 10 updates per second. When you add in the AWRON or other OBDII devices that pull DME data, the JB4 sample rate greatly drops. I've seen it drop as low as 3hz. And the AWRON sample rate drops too, as both are fighting for data priority."
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

I'm not sure what are the consequences that running both devices at once could cause but I would not risk it.

Per Terry @ BMS

2. "The JB4 relies on accurate and precise CANbus data for it's tuning on Stage2+, with a minimum frequency of 10hz, or 10 updates per second. When you add in the AWRON or other OBDII devices that pull DME data, the JB4 sample rate greatly drops. I've seen it drop as low as 3hz. And the AWRON sample rate drops too, as both are fighting for data priority."
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 11:51 PM   #7
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:

Per Terry @ BMS

That makes me wonder why mine came with a passthrough type OBD connector.
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 0