F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330d m sport so far...
ARMA SPEED

01-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
styles997
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330d Msport

330d m sport so far...

I joined the forum a little ago when I had a collection date finalised. I really wanted to spec a new car build and have xenons and h/k sound. I was talked into having a car that was already built in the country and there was little choice on colour or specs. I took a fairly base spec one with heated seats, full pro nav and 19's. But with a heavy discount to tempt me.
800 odd miles in and I am very impressed. I wouldn't have chosen the nav, but the whole pro kit is bloody impressive and I'm now I'm glad I have it. I went from an e46 330ci and I really do miss the HK sound - standard seems ok but gets drowned out when the car is moving with road noise and the system runs out of puff to overcome this. Xenons I can live without but people keep commenting on how impressive the adaptive ones are! Damn you, keep quiet!
I've fitted the black grilles and had it professionally detailed and protected as the dealers should never really touch a cars paint when they haven't a clue!
I was looking at the 320 and then ended up testing the 30, expensive drive as I was then won over. The car feels a lot heavier than my previous and far less sharp to drive, but that's partly due to the goodyears it came with - not a fan. I thought all German cars used Pirelli or bridgestones? I'm actually looking forward to changing them. (anyone not get on with their pirellis or bridgestones?) haha.
The brakes although plenty powerful enough do seem to need a little more leg to pull up quickly.

I really wish the dealer would code the start stop to default off as its pants and annoying and not what a big diesel engine needs!
Economy is great and a nice break from filling the 330ci up all the time, but it doesn't sound as good lol.

Super impressed with the auto box as I was a little apprehensive of old autos I've owned. Been running it in manual for the last 100 odd miles to compare fuel usage and it's marginally better as you can preempt traffic and use a little more engine braking.

So far, very happy BMW customer. I looked at the m performance spoilers at the same time as the black grille but decided against it. The plastic one painted is the same price as the carbon one at nearly £400! Too dear and carbon would look funny IMO
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by styles997 View Post
I really wish the dealer would code the start stop to default off as its pants and annoying and not what a big diesel engine needs!
Gets on my tits too. First thing I do is turn it off before every journey. I did ask my friendly dealer about the 'last remembered' setting that everyone on the US section keeps banging on about but it wasn't something he'd come across. He said he'd keep an eye out though which is fair enough I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
styles997
Enlisted Member
Rep

They can't do it as it alters the emmisions. The annoying bit is if you switch between drive modes it goes back on...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Reading the coding section you don't need too much equipment to do it yourself. On the e90 forum there are a number of people who will do it for you. I did ask the question over there about the F30
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=228

When they can do it there are a lot of useful changes you can make. I'll be keeping an eye out although the auto stop/start doesn't bother me. I haven't volunteered to be the test car, I'm not that brave!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting. And makkan's a good lad.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Does he run a garage? Or just from home? Maybe I should volunteer as it looks like you back the current file up first.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
I don't really understand the ASS issue people have... I think mine is perfectly acceptable and if I'm not stopping for more than a few to five seconds the clutch remains dipped so no ASS activation - I appreciate the mechanics of it are different in an auto I presume tho? - surely you can just switch it off... A simple press after start, you've gotta hit start anyway! Lol ;-)

As for the lip spoiler someone found a seller on eBay...

Pics etc; http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786655
There's a link in that thread I think

Last edited by Sladester100; 01-08-2013 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Dodgy typing
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
P.S. the adaptive lights are simply spectacularly amazingly brilliant lol
      01-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #9
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
P.S. the adaptive lights are simply spectacularly amazingly brilliant lol
^ +1,000 ... I love 'em

ASS does get on my wick but only when you stop briefly, e.g. arrive at a junction and stop momentarily, see it's clear... oh hang on, engine needs to restart. To be fair though, it does restart pretty quick, and seems to be fairly smooth in mine, not this 'lurch' some people mention.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:23 AM   #10
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Does he run a garage? Or just from home? Maybe I should volunteer as it looks like you back the current file up first.
He's just one of the 'enthusiasts' on the UK E9x section and managed to get his 'Coders...' thread stickied for the benefit of UK members. He's been on there a while and seems a good guy. I seem to think he's a physio or something but I might be mixing him up with someone else.

Quote:
I don't really understand the ASS issue people have... I think mine is perfectly acceptable and if I'm not stopping for more than a few to five seconds the clutch remains dipped so no ASS activation - I appreciate the mechanics of it are different in an auto I presume tho? - surely you can just switch it off... A simple press after start, you've gotta hit start anyway!
I never minded it on my manual E91. Mainly because I never used it. But with the auto it's a real pain. And yes it can be disabled with a button press but that's a pain too

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
ASS does get on my wick but only when you stop briefly, e.g. arrive at a junction and stop momentarily, see it's clear... oh hang on, engine needs to restart. To be fair though, it does restart pretty quick, and seems to be fairly smooth in mine, not this 'lurch' some people mention.
I just find it quite jarring. No lurch, just not pleasant.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
styles997
Enlisted Member
Rep

Damn not having the adaptive lights!
I'm a diesel engineer by trade which is my main dislike to the ASS as I know what an engine requires. I don't think it helps with MPG but can lower the emmisions slightly on a test run to keep the 3L in the awesome tax bracket for the euronuts. It doesn't jar or anything, just annoys me. More so when you change drive modes and go into ECOPRO it always turns back on. From my driving position I can't see the little light either :/
So far, driving in manual is getting maybe 1 or 2 more MPG but hardly worthwhile. Just playing.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
From my driving position I can't see the little light either :/
I can't either. In fact that's one of the ergonomic (?) niggles I have with the F3x. The others being the auto windscreen wiper light at the end of the stalk is obscured (same on the E9x though), the main mileage/info display on the dash is also obscured unless you have the seat and steering at a particular height and on the F31 the remote boot release is oddly positioned near the bonnet release.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
styles997
Enlisted Member
Rep

Haha, I nearly forgot about the wiper light! Probably cause I can never see it! Can't see the bottom of black panel either
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
I can't either. In fact that's one of the ergonomic (?) niggles I have with the F3x. The others being the auto windscreen wiper light at the end of the stalk is obscured (same on the E9x though), the main mileage/info display on the dash is also obscured unless you have the seat and steering at a particular height and on the F31 the remote boot release is oddly positioned near the bonnet release.
Quote:
Haha, I nearly forgot about the wiper light! Probably cause I can never see it! Can't see the bottom of black panel either
Exactly the same niggles here... plus if you have the heated steering wheel, the light for that is obscured as well! (although the hot hands do give it away)

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

The others are niggles but not being able to see all of the mileage etc display really did surprise me when I first got into an F3x. Serious cock up I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
We have a boot release? I was looking the other day - not sure if I looked properly - where is it?
      01-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
We have a boot release? I was looking the other day - not sure if I looked properly - where is it?
Have you got a F31 though? Your sig says F30 so prob hasn't got one.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
That would be why then, yh F30
Kinda annoying... I drove to pick the girlfriend up the other day, got there and she had stuff for the boot so got out; left it running, boot would open as locks still engaged... So I pressed the button on the remote, confused nothing happened realised that doesn't open unless unlocked... Lol
      01-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #19
edz_f06
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F06 640d MSport

Quote:
The others are niggles but not being able to see all of the mileage etc display really did surprise me when I first got into an F3x. Serious cock up I think.
I found this and the wiper light being blocked but found moving the reach of the wheel towards me improved visibility of the displays and gave a more comfortable driving position
      01-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
This niggle of seeing all the display, is a complaint in 1, 3 & 5-series cars. It does appear it is due to drivers not sitting in what is viewed the normal range of driving position.

Personally I don't find it a problem, it is all about seat position and steering wheel adjustment. Get it right and you see all of the display.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #21
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Here's a handy tip for those who can't see the Auto Wipers indicator because it's hidden by the wheel... at least at night.

Glance up to the top right corner of the windscreen and you'll see the reflection of the little green indicator light in the windscreen. (You'll need your right hand in the 'quarter past' position or lower).

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0