F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M Performance Brakes advice
Extreme Powerhouse

02-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

M Performance Brakes advice

Really want extra stopping power in 330d touring but concerned my wife will find them to progressive with the change to auto at same time as well. Has anyone one a back to back and is the travel on pedal different and more abrupt than standards. Or does it just have similar pedal feel. In normal driving will she even notice?

Last edited by derekh929; 02-14-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

No mate, pedal feel is very progressive. Your wife will have no issues adapting to them.

Nice bite when pressed, but lots of feel when gentle.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
No mate, pedal feel is very progressive. Your wife will have no issues adapting to them.

That's great just trying to nail by spec to save mistakes, I just felt with the extra engine weight they would be handy, last one tearing heart strings is RWD or AWD wish I had the real life fuel difference and also 50 70 times
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I would say RWD.....IF you lived in the South. Perhaps AWD a good idea in slippery conditions?

In the dry, I'm sure RWD would be as quick as AWD in 'normal' driving. RWD is a little more fun
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I would say RWD.....IF you lived in the South. Perhaps AWD a good idea in slippery conditions?

In the dry, I'm sure RWD would be as quick as AWD in 'normal' driving. RWD is a little more fun
Aye true the thing that confused me on test drive of 320i x drive yesterday was the grip levels in slush but then with the torque of the 330d may feel a lot different decision decisions
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Hi Derek,

Are you talking about the full-on M Performance brakes at circa £2,500 for the kit? If so, these are very serious brakes with big vented & drilled discs and 6-piston callipers. Great stuff, but I think you'd need to be looking at sustained periods of very hard driving to justify the cost over the much cheaper M Sport upgrade.

I went for the Sport brake upgrade and they're a big step up on the standard brakes fitted to M Sport cars (already very decent). The discs are still huge (370mm I think), vented but not drilled. You get beefier 4-piston callipers at the front. Slightly naff blue paint on the callipers, but you barely notice that. Compared to standard brakes, the feel is 100% improved, with a much firmer pedal and shorter travel. There is no grab whatsoever and I'd say these brakes feel more natural and easier to control than standard, so your wife will be happy.

BTW mine took a surprisingly long time to bed in, with the pedal feeling too soft for my taste in Eco Pro and Comfort and a little hard to feather smoothly to a stop until I got to 1500 miles. Totally smooth and rock solid now and I'm very impressed by how well they compare to much more expensive after market big brake kits. I fitted AP Racing big brake kits (similar level to the M Performance brakes) to my last two BMWs. They transform the feel of a car and I was worried about driving the F30 with lower spec brakes, but I don't miss the the APs with the M Sport upgrade.

The other nice thing on the M Sport brakes is that the pedal firms up more in Sport mode - superb feel, excellent control and more than enough stopping power. You won't need any more unless you're doing a runner from the fuzz.

The M Sport brakes are a £570 option - good value if you want excellent brakes without breaking the bank.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

yep +1 great feel.
      02-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Hi Derek,

Are you talking about the full-on M Performance brakes at circa £2,500 for the kit? If so, these are very serious brakes with big vented & drilled discs and 6-piston callipers. Great stuff, but I think you'd need to be looking at sustained periods of very hard driving to justify the cost over the much cheaper M Sport upgrade.

I went for the Sport brake upgrade and they're a big step up on the standard brakes fitted to M Sport cars (already very decent). The discs are still huge (370mm I think), vented but not drilled. You get beefier 4-piston callipers at the front. Slightly naff blue paint on the callipers, but you barely notice that. Compared to standard brakes, the feel is 100% improved, with a much firmer pedal and shorter travel. There is no grab whatsoever and I'd say these brakes feel more natural and easier to control than standard, so your wife will be happy.

BTW mine took a surprisingly long time to bed in, with the pedal feeling too soft for my taste in Eco Pro and Comfort and a little hard to feather smoothly to a stop until I got to 1500 miles. Totally smooth and rock solid now and I'm very impressed by how well they compare to much more expensive after market big brake kits. I fitted AP Racing big brake kits (similar level to the M Performance brakes) to my last two BMWs. They transform the feel of a car and I was worried about driving the F30 with lower spec brakes, but I don't miss the the APs with the M Sport upgrade.

The other nice thing on the M Sport brakes is that the pedal firms up more in Sport mode - superb feel, excellent control and more than enough stopping power. You won't need any more unless you're doing a runner from the fuzz.

The M Sport brakes are a £570 option - good value if you want excellent brakes without breaking the bank.
Save thanks for your feed back that is great it is on my list the dealers have so it looks like a keeper, just the VSS know do I need to spend the extra £250 or just go with the servitronic
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
matx1982
M Performance
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 + F90 M5 + G80 M3

Garage List
2021 X5  [0.00]
2021 M5 Competition  [9.17]
2022 M4 CSL  [10.00]
2022 M3 Xdrive Comp ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Save thanks for your feed back that is great it is on my list the dealers have so it looks like a keeper, just the VSS know do I need to spend the extra £250 or just go with the servitronic
I'd recommend them if nothing else for the coloured calipers (the main reason I spec'd them).

I once told the MD of my local dealer, it's a shame BMW are not more proactive in selling stuff, it's like you're left to your own devices to work out what is good/not good to have optionally.

His reply (they are the 2nd biggest uk car dealership), was that a lot of their cars go to business users who don't really care or have a choice... it's only keen petrol heads who pick out these things. Interesting.

Mat

Instagram - @matfireworks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #10
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlepyro View Post
I'd recommend them if nothing else for the coloured calipers (the main reason I spec'd them).

I once told the MD of my local dealer, it's a shame BMW are not more proactive in selling stuff, it's like you're left to your own devices to work out what is good/not good to have optionally.

His reply (they are the 2nd biggest uk car dealership), was that a lot of their cars go to business users who don't really care or have a choice... it's only keen petrol heads who pick out these things. Interesting.

Mat
LOL yes they do look nice that's for sure with bigger disks and i would have to be a liar if did not say that has part of my decision, but also 330d touring a heavy motor to pull up and bigger disks wont go wrong for sure.

Agree if it was not for these sites i would not be 100% that what i was specing would add value to the car for me know to enjoy, but at same time i keep my cars a long time so need to choice wisely
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:46 AM   #11
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

On reviews i've read the AWD doesn't lose the fun of the RWD (as 60% of drive normally goes to the rear anyway) and you don't supposedly notice the AWD working. I loved the 320i xDrive on my extended test drive. Lots of regularly flooded lanes and river-like inclines on my commute and I love being able to confidently power up/down them. On a FWD or RWD you get blinded by the traction control light blinking! Three weeks tomorrow for delivery I think...!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:

Do they? I must say i not not noticed this, and neither have I found any reference to it in the specs...
      02-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Do they? I must say i not not noticed this, and neither have I found any reference to it in the specs...
Hi TMP,

Yes, this caught me out too - no mention of it anywhere in the specs. I noticed the change when switching between comfort and sport in the early days of having the car, when the pedal felt too soft in comfort. Thought I must be imagining it, but it's for real. I drove the car in Sport for that reason alone in town, so I could brake to a stop more cleanly in the first 1,000 miles or so.

I quizzed my dealer about it when I was in the other day and, without pausing for breath, the guy said this the pedal firms up in sport. Why the heck don't BMW talk about this in their brochures? This is the stuff that matters most to the kind of people looking at brake upgrades. Exactly the same for VSS as well.

Anyway, the difference is very obvious - much firmer pedal in sport (quite a hard feel in fact) and very limited travel, which I love. BTW I don't know if the same thing happens with the standard brakes. I'd guess it does.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Just posting to say, I am driving a 320D M Sport whilst my car is being seen to. It hasn't got the M Sport brake upgrade, and boy can you feel the difference. These brakes feel limp. M Sport upgrade all the way.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Just posting to say, I am driving a 320D M Sport whilst my car is being seen to. It hasn't got the M Sport brake upgrade, and boy can you feel the difference. These brakes feel limp. M Sport upgrade all the way.
Box ticked thanks guys this is why I joined , getting ready to pull the trigger one last go with improving the deal
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

Quote:
Really want extra stopping power in 330d touring but concerned my wife will find them to progressive with the change to auto at same time as well. Has anyone one a back to back and is the travel on pedal different and more abrupt than standards. Or does it just have similar pedal feel. In normal driving will she even notice?
They are extremely smooth and not at all grabby. You could argue for spirited driving they don't bite early and hard enough. Perfect for daily driving.

If you require more, you need a full Brembo BBK.

Be prepared for a lot of brake dust, though.

Honestly, I bought them for the looks.

My European Delivery Thread http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807429
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson743 View Post
They are extremely smooth and not at all grabby. You could argue for spirited driving they don't bite early and hard enough. Perfect for daily driving.

Thanks for that, no so worried about brake dust as wheels will be getting ceramic coated
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #18
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Hi TMP,

Yes, this caught me out too - no mention of it anywhere in the specs. I noticed the change when switching between comfort and sport in the early days of having the car, when the pedal felt too soft in comfort. Thought I must be imagining it, but it's for real. I drove the car in Sport for that reason alone in town, so I could brake to a stop more cleanly in the first 1,000 miles or so.

I quizzed my dealer about it when I was in the other day and, without pausing for breath, the guy said this the pedal firms up in sport. Why the heck don't BMW talk about this in their brochures? This is the stuff that matters most to the kind of people looking at brake upgrades. Exactly the same for VSS as well.

Anyway, the difference is very obvious - much firmer pedal in sport (quite a hard feel in fact) and very limited travel, which I love. BTW I don't know if the same thing happens with the standard brakes. I'd guess it does.
Will have a pay when back in the car Tues/Wed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson743 View Post

Yeah, worth it for looks alone, bonus for better performance
      02-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #19
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Do they all come as blue if factory order?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

[[/B]
Quote:
Do they all come as blue if factory order?
YEP............
      02-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
[[/B]YEP............
That's good I like the blue
Appreciate 0