F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > lack of handling on base 328 xdrive
proTUNING Freaks

12-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #23
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
Now M Sport suspension is not good enough. Need M Sport PERFORMANCE suspension. How much I love you BMW for making me continually open my pocket book.
I agree.
Msport models should have had firmer/increased spring rates over the sport suspension.
Or, to keep their costs down, both the sport and Msport should have been firmer than they are. 15-20% firmer would have made things better.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
The problem is that you have the base X-Drive suspension, the base seats, the base steering wheel, the base transmission, and the smallest brakes offered. I don't mean to be rude, but what else did you expect? I mean that's what test drives are for.

I have a rear-wheel drive 328i Sport Line with Sport Auto and my only real complaint is the lack of solid brake pedal feedback which will most likely be fixed with a stock 335i. I find the steering, seats, shifting, and suspension to be very, very good considering how little I pay a month and the breadth of abilities this car has.
Unfortunately, the 335i also suffers from lackluster brake feel.
Braking power is great, but feel and feedback are lacking.
And then there's the loud 'thunk' when you release the brake pedal too quickly and it slaps back against it's stop.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #25
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
*DTC is not on when DSC is fully active. When you press the button once and release you are not deactivating DSC, you are switching it to DTC.
So pressing the button doesn't leave DTC on, it actually turns DTC on..

DTC is "dynamic traction control".
When DTC is active it allows the drive wheels to spin.
Also, there is still stability control during cornering, but at a reduced level.
With DTC on, the system allows the driver to play a bit more, like swinging the rear out, before the system intervenes.
Yes, when u press the button once DTC comes on, but DSC does switch off ("DSC Off" indicator light is illuminated in addition to the word "TRACTION" displayed on the instrument cluster). In the manual it said "it ensured maximum forward momentum but limited driving stability". It also said, when DTC is active, u'll have "maximum traction on loose surface".
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #26
tuned2ride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, S5 SB, looking for a M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Yes, when u press the button once DTC comes on, but DSC does switch off ("DSC Off" indicator light is illuminated in addition to the word "TRACTION" displayed on the instrument cluster). In the manual it said "it ensured maximum forward momentum but limited driving stability". It also said, when DTC is active, u'll have "maximum traction on loose surface".
As said, some part of DSC as still on. You still have a less sensitive ESP unless it changed with the new FXX models. See notes 1 and 2.

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
The problem is that you have the base X-Drive suspension, the base seats, the base steering wheel, the base transmission, and the smallest brakes offered. I don't mean to be rude, but what else did you expect? I mean that's what test drives are for.

I have a rear-wheel drive 328i Sport Line with Sport Auto and my only real complaint is the lack of solid brake pedal feedback which will most likely be fixed with a stock 335i. I find the steering, seats, shifting, and suspension to be very, very good considering how little I pay a month and the breadth of abilities this car has.
i expect a BMW, even base, it;s still has a 40k+ sticker price. This is not a 20k Honda Accord.
What did you have prior to your F30? How does it compare?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #28
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by batislav View Post
I don't have the adaptive suspension, but I can configure the driving mode drivetrain/chassis on my sportline with VSS.
Intersting. How are you able to change chassis setting if you have a passive suspension? Unless by chassis you mean the steering feel?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #29
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned2ride View Post
As said, some part of DSC as still on. You still have a less sensitive ESP unless it changed with the new FXX models. See notes 1 and 2.
Yes, there are some changes, such as MSR being on with DTC and ADB only when DSC is totally off.
DTC is called a "subfunction" of DSC in F30 speak.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #30
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:
DTC is subset of feature within DSC (it only deals with traction & not cornering stability). If u press & hold the button for not more than 10s, the DSC (incl DTC) is deactivated. If u just press the button once then the cornering stability part of the DSC is deactivated, leaving the traction control part (i.e. DTC) on.
It's all in pages 111 & 112 of the owner's manual.
DTC is a "mode" of DSC.

With DSC fully on/active, there is stability control and traction control.
Press the button once and release turns DTC on, "Traction" appears on the gauge cluster.
*DTC is not on when DSC is fully active. When you press the button once and release you are not deactivating DSC, you are switching it to DTC.
So pressing the button doesn't leave DTC on, it actually turns DTC on..

DTC is "dynamic traction control".
When DTC is active it allows the drive wheels to spin.
Also, there is still stability control during cornering, but at a reduced level.
With DTC on, the system allows the driver to play a bit more, like swinging the rear out, before the system intervenes.

To turn DSC completely off, press and hold the button until the sliding car icon and "off" are displayed on the gauge cluster.
With DSC completely off there is no traction or stability control.
This is exactly what i said earlier. Clarence stop confusing ppl!! Lol.

If i had xdrive i would hold traction button for 10 seconds all the time. Awd doesnt need any preventive measures.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #31
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Awd doesnt need any preventive measures.
This thinking is precisely why most vehicles in the ditch in a snow storm are AWD.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #32
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
This thinking is precisely why most vehicles in the ditch in a snow storm are AWD.
Exactly, when a 4wd lets go on the limit 99% of the time u're done.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #33
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
i expect a BMW, even base, it;s still has a 40k+ sticker price. This is not a 20k Honda Accord.
What did you have prior to your F30? How does it compare?
Believe it or not I had an E90 M3 6MT. Yes, I went the complete wrong way by getting a lightly optioned F30 328i, but it's an amazing everyday car. I'm averaging 26.5mpg instead of 17.1 (and that's driving the M3 like a saint) and the car has a much more relaxed demeanor. Of course, this car's sound and speed is not even in the same league, but it makes me a more relaxed driver. With the M3, little things always upset me, but in this car I tend to not care at all.

Originally, I sold the M3 so I could buy two cars. My plan was lease an F30 and buy a used 997.1 Carrera S or 987.1 Cayman S, but after 6 months with the F30, it's still my only car. I will no doubt return to something sporty soon, but I am very impressed with this car.

...Now only if the brake pedal wasn't so mushy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Unfortunately, the 335i also suffers from lackluster brake feel.
Braking power is great, but feel and feedback are lacking.
And then there's the loud 'thunk' when you release the brake pedal too quickly and it slaps back against it's stop.
That's not really what I want to hear. It's odd because I've driven all three tiers of E90s (328i base, 335i ZSP, M3) and found all of them to have better brake feel and feedback.

Last edited by Mahzari; 12-27-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #34
batislav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Intersting. How are you able to change chassis setting if you have a passive suspension? Unless by chassis you mean the steering feel?
I just double checked when I went out today, and I can configure sport to change chassis, drivetrain, or both. I have VSS, not DHP or adaptive suspension. I'm assuming the passive suspension settings can be changed via the DES configuration, while the adaptive suspension adapts the damper to current driving/road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #35
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I just double checked when I went out today, and I can configure sport to change chassis, drivetrain, or both. I have VSS, not DHP or adaptive suspension. I'm assuming the passive suspension settings can be changed via the DES configuration, while the adaptive suspension adapts the damper to current driving/road conditions.
Nothing with passive suspension to change... this has been an issue for many topics across the BMW model ranges. F10/11 users had this debate (first of the models), users thinking the passive suspension had some active parts. Completely dismissed by BMW, as not meaning suspension when 'chassis' is referenced on the iDrive menu, without adaptive damping being in the specification. Steering tightens up and that can feel as if there are some suspension changes. You definitely need the adaptive damping package to be able to change the suspension settings.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #36
batislav
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Nothing with passive suspension to change... this has been an issue for many topics across the BMW model ranges. F10/11 users had this debate (first of the models), users thinking the passive suspension had some active parts. Completely dismissed by BMW, as not meaning suspension when 'chassis' is referenced on the iDrive menu, without adaptive damping being in the specification. Steering tightens up and that can feel as if there are some suspension changes. You definitely need the adaptive damping package to be able to change the suspension settings.

HighlandPete
Ok I think I understand, I did some searching on the f10 forums and a post from Jon D said this:

If you have 'sport' configured for chassis only it stiffens the front and rear roll bars, changes the damper rates and quickens the steering response.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #37
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok I think I understand, I did some searching on the f10 forums and a post from Jon D said this:

If you have 'sport' configured for chassis only it stiffens the front and rear roll bars, changes the damper rates and quickens the steering response.
His car, if I remember correctly, has adaptive drive & maybe IAS too.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #38
batislav
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
His car, if I remember correctly, has adaptive drive & maybe IAS too.
From the same thread, he doesn't have IAS but has adaptive.

The quote (linked to the thread) seems to be a response to Sharbotcom who says he doesn't have DHP.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12032741

I was just checking f10 forums as highlandpete suggested and this was the first thing I found on the subject.

My only point was to point out that I can configure sport mode without DHP, unlike what some people presumed. I'm sure people with DHP have more adaptive settings, nonetheless, I do have options, and, for example, being able to set sport to chassis and not drivetrain is very convenient for people who want firmer steering without aggressive throttle response in every day driving conditions. It is a good option for people who are left lukewarm by comfort and eco. Not an issue for me with my customary bumper to bumper commute, but I think I remember RPM90 saying he liked a similar setting.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #39
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Reading the comments I agree the F30 RWD and xDrive both have a float issue, with that being said, will the DHP package resolve it?
Appreciate 0