F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Begginer's guide to BMW Live and Internet
Extreme Powerhouse

01-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
rezadue
Two turbos are better than one!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

Begginer's guide to BMW Live and Internet

I have been collecting various bits of information (Mostly from Shawn Sheridan's work) to make a step by step beginner friendly (For myself - I have done FDL coding but that is all so far) guide to activate BMW live and internet over phone's SIM card.

I was hoping one of the more experienced coders could look at this and verify that I have the correct sequence and details the write up and verify that it is correct???

** I AM NOT SURE IF I HAVE EVERYTHING IN THE CORRECT SEQUENCE AND DETAIL LEVEL. USE AT OWN RISK **

Step by step procedure on how to enable BMW live and internet:

1. Change your VO as follows (This adds the options for BMW live and internet to the car's option list):

Connect => Read FA (VO)=> Edit FA (VO)=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP => Expand FA => click on SALAPA-element =>Delete/add FA from the bottom left window (see below) => click Apply changes => Right click on FA => Calculate FP => Save FA => Goto Expert mode => VCM => Load saved FA (VO)=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP => click "write FA FP VIN"

- 612 (or 633 or 639 if present)
+ 644 <- Bluetooth phone preparation
+ 614 <- Internet Access
+ 615 <-Online Information Services
+ 6AL <- BMW Live
+ 6AB <- Control Teleservices

2. VO CODE HU_CIC (modifies the headunit with the new car options from step 1):

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on Head Unit ECU (e.g. HU_NBT, HU_CIC, HU_CHAMP, HU_ENTRY, HU_ENTRYNAV, etc.) (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE (Not Code FDL).

3. VO CODE CMB_MEDIA(modifies the Combox with the new car options from step 1):

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on CMB_MEDIA (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE (Not Code FDL).

4. FDL CODE CMB_MEDIA (This step will allow you to write a fake VIN in your Combox:

FDL code CMB_MEDIA / TELEMATIK_VIN =Your real FA VIN This will allow you to alter the VIN for the later steps.

5. Change VIN to fake VIN in VO and FDL code to Combox (Allows the fake VIN to be transferred to the Combox)

(DO NOT code anything else with this FA, and DO NOT write this FA to the car)For Internet and BMW Live to work, you need a VIN with factory options 614 and 615.

Connect => Read FA (VO)=> Edit FA (VO) => Change VIN to FAKE VIN=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP => => Save FA using new name FA_FAKEVIN=> Goto Expert mode => VCM => Load saved FA_FAKEVIN (VO)=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP=>FDL code CMB_MEDIA

6. Read CMB_MEDIA coding data, and verify the new VIN in brackets.

7. FDL CODE Combox and HU and make sure these parameters are as follows (Make note of the original settings in case you need to revert back)
:

CMB_MEDIA:
- MAIN_BOARD_ALONE: mainboard_alone
- ETHERNET: nicht_aktiv
- DUN_PROFILE: aktiv
- PAN_PROFILE: aktiv
- BT_EIN_AUS: aktiv
- TELEMATIK_VIN: Coding_vin
- STARTUP_ACTIVE: nicht_aktiv
- DATACOMM_INTERFACE: mamac
- SIM_ENABLED_MB: enabled_all
- DATACOMM_CSIM: aktiv
- ONLINE_ROUTER: aktiv

HU_CIC:
- CONNECTED_DRIVE: aktiv
- PAN_PROFILE: nicht_akitv
- DUN_PROFILE: nicht_akitv
- BT_MODUL_ON_OFF: nicht_aktiv
- BT_DATA_SERVICE: nicht_aktiv
- DATACOMM_INTERFACE: combox
- DATACOMM_TRANSFER: mamac
- ONLINE_BROWSER: nur_mit_bmw_internet
- ONLINE_SERVICES: nicht_aktiv
- ONLINE_SERVICES_GLS: nicht_aktiv
- TDA_CFG_CUST_MOBILE_USE: aktiv
- ONLINE_BROWSER_LIVE: aktiv

8. Either shut down E-Sys, or load your original FA back and activate it before coding anything else.

9. Enable Data Transfer Option Under Phone

10. Enable Bluetooth Data Tethering on Phone

11. Under Connected drive; Update services (should show BMW Live and Internet services)

12. Go to BMW Live and Internet and make sure it is working

13. After it is working, use original VO with car VIN:

14. FDL CODE CMB_MEDIA with VO which has original VIN

Connect => Read FA (VO)=> Edit FA (VO) => Change VIN to FAKE VIN=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP => => Save FA using new name FA_FAKEVIN=> Goto Expert mode => VCM => Load saved FA (VO)=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP=>FDL code CMB_MEDIA

TELEMATIK_VIN = MOST_VIN

15. Read CMB_MEDIA and verify Short VIN in brackets [xxxxxxx] is car VIN.

DO NOT update services again or you will lose BMW Live and Internet.

*** If you do not return the Combox VIN to car VIN, you will encounter problems with future dealer programming, as the Combox will not be recognized, and programming will halt. ***

Sapphire Black M4 Competition

Last edited by rezadue; 02-05-2016 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive GC

What is BMW Live? Is it different from connecteddrive online?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 05:12 AM   #3
Bypx
Rep
Drives: 428i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
1. Change your VO as follows:

Connect => Read FA (VO)=> Edit FA (VO)=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP => Expand FA => click on SALAPA-element =>Delete/add FA from the bottom left window (see below) => click Apply changes => Right click on FA => Calculate FP => Save FA => Goto Expert mode => VCM => Load saved FA (VO)=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP => click “read FA FP VIN”
You don't have to write it to the car using "Write FA FP"?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
rezadue
Canada
Rep

Thank you. Corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypx View Post
You don't have to write it to the car using "Write FA FP"?

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadify View Post
What is BMW Live? Is it different from connecteddrive online?
I'm curious to what BMW Live is as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 06:51 PM   #6
rezadue
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
I'm curious to what BMW Live is as well.
https://youtu.be/5r4QFF_JNww
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

Quote:
thanks I thought that was enabled on our systems already ?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
rezadue
Canada
Rep

Not everyone has it. As best as I can figure out in some markets like north America you can order it, but it uses the SIM card in your car.

In some markets like the UK it can use your phone's SIM card.

I an in Canada and my car didn't come with it, so I don't have a telematik Combox. So I am trying to a ti ate BMW live and Internet through my phone.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
acobildo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

My ONLINE_BROWSER_LIVE falls under 3003 not 3000. Does that make a difference? (US Spec '13 328i w/ CIC, Combox & Pro Nav)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #10
rezadue
Canada
Rep

I would think it doesn't make a difference.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #11
TheirThere
867-5309
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP and E36 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Is there a list of available / approved in car apps?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #12
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

trying to FDL code instead of VO

I have a US Spec car with an expired BMW Assist and would like to FDL code for BMW Live. Do these settings work? Is there a detailed write up of FDL coding instead of the VO coding for these parameters?

Quote:
I have been collecting various bits of information (Mostly from Shawn Sheridan's work) to make a step by step beginner friendly (For myself - I have done FDL coding but that is all so far) guide to activate BMW live and internet over phone's SIM card.

I was hoping one of the more experienced coders could look at this and verify that I have the correct sequence and details the write up and verify that it is correct???

** I AM NOT SURE IF I HAVE EVERYTHING IN THE CORRECT SEQUENCE AND DETAIL LEVEL. USE AT OWN RISK **

Step by step procedure on how to enable BMW live and internet:

1. Change your VO as follows (This adds the options for BMW live and internet to the car's option list):

Connect => Read FA (VO)=> Edit FA (VO)=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP => Expand FA => click on SALAPA-element =>Delete/add FA from the bottom left window (see below) => click Apply changes => Right click on FA => Calculate FP => Save FA => Goto Expert mode => VCM => Load saved FA (VO)=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP => click "write FA FP VIN"

- 612 (or 633 or 639 if present)
+ 644 <- Bluetooth phone preparation
+ 614 <- Internet Access
+ 615 <-Online Information Services
+ 6AL <- BMW Live
+ 6AB <- Control Teleservices

2. VO CODE HU_CIC (modifies the headunit with the new car options from step 1):

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on Head Unit ECU (e.g. HU_NBT, HU_CIC, HU_CHAMP, HU_ENTRY, HU_ENTRYNAV, etc.) (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE (Not Code FDL).

3. VO CODE CMB_MEDIA(modifies the Combox with the new car options from step 1):

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on CMB_MEDIA (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE (Not Code FDL).

4. FDL CODE CMB_MEDIA (This step will allow you to write a fake VIN in your Combox:

FDL code CMB_MEDIA / TELEMATIK_VIN =Your real FA VIN This will allow you to alter the VIN for the later steps.

5. Change VIN to fake VIN in VO and FDL code to Combox (Allows the fake VIN to be transferred to the Combox)

(DO NOT code anything else with this FA, and DO NOT write this FA to the car)For Internet and BMW Live to work, you need a VIN with factory options 614 and 615.

Connect => Read FA (VO)=> Edit FA (VO) => Change VIN to FAKE VIN=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP => => Save FA using new name FA_FAKEVIN=> Goto Expert mode => VCM => Load saved FA_FAKEVIN (VO)=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP=>FDL code CMB_MEDIA

6. Read CMB_MEDIA coding data, and verify the new VIN in brackets.

7. FDL CODE Combox and HU and make sure these parameters are as follows (Make note of the original settings in case you need to revert back)
:

CMB_MEDIA:
- MAIN_BOARD_ALONE: mainboard_alone
- ETHERNET: nicht_aktiv
- DUN_PROFILE: aktiv
- PAN_PROFILE: aktiv
- BT_EIN_AUS: aktiv
- TELEMATIK_VIN: Coding_vin
- STARTUP_ACTIVE: nicht_aktiv
- DATACOMM_INTERFACE: mamac
- SIM_ENABLED_MB: enabled_all
- DATACOMM_CSIM: aktiv
- ONLINE_ROUTER: aktiv

HU_CIC:
- CONNECTED_DRIVE: aktiv
- PAN_PROFILE: nicht_akitv
- DUN_PROFILE: nicht_akitv
- BT_MODUL_ON_OFF: nicht_aktiv
- BT_DATA_SERVICE: nicht_aktiv
- DATACOMM_INTERFACE: combox
- DATACOMM_TRANSFER: mamac
- ONLINE_BROWSER: nur_mit_bmw_internet
- ONLINE_SERVICES: nicht_aktiv
- ONLINE_SERVICES_GLS: nicht_aktiv
- TDA_CFG_CUST_MOBILE_USE: aktiv
- ONLINE_BROWSER_LIVE: aktiv

8. Either shut down E-Sys, or load your original FA back and activate it before coding anything else.

9. Enable Data Transfer Option Under Phone

10. Enable Bluetooth Data Tethering on Phone

11. Under Connected drive; Update services (should show BMW Live and Internet services)

12. Go to BMW Live and Internet and make sure it is working

13. After it is working, use original VO with car VIN:

14. FDL CODE CMB_MEDIA with VO which has original VIN

Connect => Read FA (VO)=> Edit FA (VO) => Change VIN to FAKE VIN=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP => => Save FA using new name FA_FAKEVIN=> Goto Expert mode => VCM => Load saved FA (VO)=> Right click on FA => Calculate FP=>FDL code CMB_MEDIA

TELEMATIK_VIN = MOST_VIN

15. Read CMB_MEDIA and verify Short VIN in brackets [xxxxxxx] is car VIN.

DO NOT update services again or you will lose BMW Live and Internet.

*** If you do not return the Combox VIN to car VIN, you will encounter problems with future dealer programming, as the Combox will not be recognized, and programming will halt. ***
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #13
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

having trouble injecting fake VIN to CMB_Media

I got everything to work including changing the VIN and saving it and reloading it in Esys, however when I go to code for CMB_Media with the fake VIN, I get a finalizeECUcoding error - says there was an error during TAL execution, something about service returned global negative response.

What am I doing wrong? I do have the updated Combox from 3G to 4G, is that what could be causing issues with this?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #14
rogankushaf
Rep
Drives: 118i f20

Hello everyone,
sorry for bringing this thread back from the death. I just need some information, i have a f20 2015 with hu_entrynav with stabdard navigation system. I already coded the ebt but i m having some troubles to get the bmw live. The first problem is at step 1 because if i try to add 644 it return an error when coded, thus i tried to get over not adding that feature, a d it works (but i have no 644), the second the problem is at step 3 because i have no bmc_media...what's the problem? I miss any hardware?
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 05:56 AM   #15
Bmwf30england
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Help needed please

Hi all

I was trying to do this and now my car won’t start shows loads of errors and so I took it to bmw and they won’t touch it as it doesn’t have the original headunit . They also say the VO has been changed. I brought the car from auction about a year ago and it came with the nbt unit already installed
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #16
omorzo
Always on track!
Italy
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
Hello, I would give a try to this function in my car, but I can't find CMB_MEDIA ECU. On the list of ECUs there is only HU_NBT.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #17
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omorzo View Post
Hello, I would give a try to this function in my car, but I can't find CMB_MEDIA ECU. On the list of ECUs there is only HU_NBT.
NBT Head Unit has Combox functions within itself and not a separate standalone CMB_MEDIA Control Unit.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #18
omorzo
Always on track!
Italy
Rep

Garage List
So this newbie guide for me don't work, right?
Because these steps aren't applicable:

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #19
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So this newbie guide for me don't work, right?
Because these steps aren't applicable:

Some of the same FDL Codes that were in CMB_MEDIA are now in NBT; however, the key one, TELEMATIK_VIN, is not there, so this method will not work.

This method though is just a way to reprovision the Car SIM to get BMW Live and Internet, by provisioning car with different VIN that is authorized the services. For NBT, this can be accomplished with Tool32, whereby instead of using provisioning file of other VIN, you edit the car's own provisioning file to add the services:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=735962

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:16 AM   #20
omorzo
Always on track!
Italy
Rep

Garage List
OK thanks, i'll give a try to this procedure:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...&postcount=542
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 05:08 AM   #21
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OK thanks, i'll give a try to this procedure:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...&postcount=542
Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 04:30 PM   #22
omorzo
Always on track!
Italy
Rep

Garage List
I've got ERROR_ECU_REQUEST_SEQUENCE_ERROR while reading in tool32, anyone can send me another version of NBT.prg to try? I heard that exist 3 versions...
Appreciate 0