F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20 and N26 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > New N20 Tune Available - aFe Scorcher
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #45
Boogalu
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

quick question. how easy was the install? can someone who has never touched an engine before be able to do this? I ask because I was looking at the bms install online and they had to unscrew alot of things and take out alot of wires also.

is this just like that? or different? thanks. I'm new to the beamer scene.
Boogalu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #46
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,443
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogalu View Post
I was looking at the bms install online and they had to unscrew alot of things and take out alot of wires also.
BMS takes a few mins to install. I don't know what you saw. Stage 1 BMS only requires piggybacking up to 4 connectors, 3 on the latest build cars. Not 1 wire is removed or taken out. I don't know what you mean.

Unscrew what? A lot of things? Only back cover is removed for convenient placement of the control box. 5 second operation.

Anyway, from what I've read and to be fair, the aFe is even easier to install, but is a one off boost, whereas BMS is upgradeable.

Your choice.
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #47
Boogalu
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
BMS takes a few mins to install. I don't know what you saw. Stage 1 BMS only requires piggybacking up to 4 connectors, 3 on the latest build cars. Not 1 wire is removed or taken out. I don't know what you mean.

Unscrew what? A lot of things? Only back cover is removed for convenient placement of the control box. 5 second operation.

Anyway, from what I've read and to be fair, the aFe is even easier to install, but is a one off boost, whereas BMS is upgradeable.

Your choice.
ah okay. Thank you sir for the help. haha

just out of curiosity, which tune are you running? or which one have you driven?
Boogalu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #48
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,443
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogalu View Post
which tune are you running?
BMS Stage 1 since Feb 25.
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #49
mocohead
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 328i (ED)/ 2011 328i (ED)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 397
iTrader: (0)

While at the dealership the other day getting my routine maintenance done, there was another 328i on the rack next to mine. That car had the afe scorcher installed (i saw it myself). The tech went looking for hidden tune detection codes, with the scorcher installed, and there were none. Based on how dirty the unit was, it appeared to have been installed for quite a while (c'mon guys, clean the engine compartment occasionally).

To me this was the acid test - connected to the dealer's computer, no hidden codes! That is not to say that somebody else's car might not have one, but this particular car didn't.
mocohead is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #50
Boogalu
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
While at the dealership the other day getting my routine maintenance done, there was another 328i on the rack next to mine. That car had the afe scorcher installed (i saw it myself). The tech went looking for hidden tune detection codes, with the scorcher installed, and there were none. Based on how dirty the unit was, it appeared to have been installed for quite a while (c'mon guys, clean the engine compartment occasionally).

To me this was the acid test - connected to the dealer's computer, no hidden codes! That is not to say that somebody else's car might not have one, but this particular car didn't.
thats definitely a positive for me. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
BMS Stage 1 since Feb 25.
nice!



Thanks for the help guys!
Boogalu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2013, 01:18 AM   #51
kbf30/e38
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: philadelphia

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

i ordered and installed the aFe turner on my car today!!! its awesome. I love it. don't really notice the difference until you put the car in sport mode. HUGE DIFFERENCE FROM STOCK!!!!
kbf30/e38 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #52
metrathon
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vista, SoCal

Posts: 482
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbf30 View Post
i ordered and installed the aFe turner on my car today!!! its awesome. I love it. don't really notice the difference until you put the car in sport mode. HUGE DIFFERENCE FROM STOCK!!!!
Congrats, but calm down It cannot be a "HUGE DIFFERENCE" only in Sport, while in Comfort you don't feel anything. Come back in a few weeks time and tell us if the difference is still as big
__________________
2012 BMW 328i Sport | 2009 Audi A4 2.0T | 2007 BMW 750Li
2001 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 520i | 2003 Opel Vectra | 2002 Honda Civic | 2002 Citroen Xsara
metrathon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #53
BobbyP
Second Lieutenant
 
BobbyP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i F30 Sport 6M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BG

Posts: 200
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead
While at the dealership the other day getting my routine maintenance done, there was another 328i on the rack next to mine. That car had the afe scorcher installed (i saw it myself). The tech went looking for hidden tune detection codes, with the scorcher installed, and there were none. Based on how dirty the unit was, it appeared to have been installed for quite a while (c'mon guys, clean the engine compartment occasionally).

To me this was the acid test - connected to the dealer's computer, no hidden codes! That is not to say that somebody else's car might not have one, but this particular car didn't.
How did you know this? How did you have access to the service area?
BobbyP is offline   Serbia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #54
kbf30/e38
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: philadelphia

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

i noticed more torque and throttle response. less turbo lag. only in sport mode. no difference in econo or comfort mode. in laments terms the car has more balls. i'm only driving in sport mode from now on....aFe turner works just fine....no codes; no problem!
kbf30/e38 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #55
mocohead
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 328i (ED)/ 2011 328i (ED)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 397
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
How did you know this? How did you have access to the service area?
I did have access to the service area. To describe how would compromise my friend in that service department, so I will respectfully decline to elaborate.
mocohead is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #56
Shmouzer
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

I'm new to all this mod stuff and do want to boost my car a bit so I'm gonna throw a few questions out here and hopefully someone can help me out? Thanks ahead of time as always.

Difference between n20/n26? How do I know which to get, if I buy a mod? I have a 2013 328i xdrive and I honestly have no clue how to tell.

Also, aFe or BMS? Which is better? Someone said BMS is upgrade-able?

Lastly, can I install the tune myself? Or would I be better off having someone else do it?

Thanks again,
Ardian
Shmouzer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #57
NosceTeIpsum
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Ma

Posts: 107
iTrader: (0)

a year from now this tunes will be putting out much bigger numbers i think 400hp
NosceTeIpsum is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #58
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 7,559
iTrader: (2)

+1 for the aFe tune.
You can't go wrong with BMS either
mike@x-ph.com is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #59
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,443
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmouzer View Post
Also, aFe or BMS? Which is better? Someone said BMS is upgrade-able?

Lastly, can I install the tune myself? Or would I be better off having someone else do it?

Thanks again,
Ardian
aFE is very good but a closed system
BMS is very good too, with Stage 1 available and Stage 2 (upgrade) also available but in Beta 'testing' form at this time. So, yes the BMS is upgradeable.

I have BMS Stage 1 installed in my car since 25 Feb '13, on an N20 engine with electronic waste gate sensor. One connector from BMS is not used if the engine has electronic waste gate sensor. N26 engines have the same sensor. Early model N20 engines has solenoid sensor, so the BMS connector was/is used in this setup.

Yes, you can install the aFE or BMS units very easily yourself. No need for anyone else to install, but if you want a friend to assist, why not. The instructions are very clear and the units installed within minutes, maybe a few more, if you choose to go slowly. Connectors can be easily unclipped (be careful, of course) and then clicked together as per instructions.
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #60
Shmouzer
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
aFE is very good but a closed system
BMS is very good too, with Stage 1 available and Stage 2 (upgrade) also available but in Beta 'testing' form at this time. So, yes the BMS is upgradeable.

I have BMS Stage 1 installed in my car since 25 Feb '13, on an N20 engine with electronic waste gate sensor. One connector from BMS is not used if the engine has electronic waste gate sensor. N26 engines have the same sensor. Early model N20 engines has solenoid sensor, so the BMS connector was/is used in this setup.

Yes, you can install the aFE or BMS units very easily yourself. No need for anyone else to install, but if you want a friend to assist, why not. The instructions are very clear and the units installed within minutes, maybe a few more, if you choose to go slowly. Connectors can be easily unclipped (be careful, of course) and then clicked together as per instructions.
Thanks for the help! Gonna order the BMS in the near future.
Shmouzer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #61
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 7,559
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmouzer View Post
Thanks for the help! Gonna order the BMS in the near future.
Let me know when you decide to pull the trigger
mike@x-ph.com is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST