F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Yellow Factory Halogen to White Halogens
Studio RSR

07-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #67
dangson
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I recently swapped out my low beans with the GP Thunder bulbs suggested earlier in this thread, and also my DRL bulbs with LED ones from IJDMTOY. The installation wasn't that bad and I've been quite happy with the results. Below are some tips that hopefully will help others who want to do this in the future.

Low beams

The steps to replace the bulbs are in the manual, but one step I would change is the part where you remove the power connector before pulling out the bulb.
  1. Turn front wheels all the way to one side so you can access the panel in the wheel well.
  2. Remove panel.
  3. Twist bulb housing seal counter-clockwise and remove it.
  4. So far these steps are the same as the manual. Now instead of pulling the power out, I found it was easier to pull the entire bulb out while it was still connected. To do this, push these brackets down slightly so they don't block the bulb backing (the circular part). There are three brackets holding the bulb in place, but you only need to push two of them out of the way.
  5. For the previous step, using your phone camera can be very helpful. I turned it to video mode and left the flash on. With one hand holding the phone over the bulb housing I could see what I was doing with the other hand.
  6. Pull the entire bulb and connector out.
  7. Now you can use two hands to separate the bulb from the connector. Remember to only pull the bulb by its metal base and not the glass part.
  8. Connect new bulb to the connector.
  9. Push those metal brackets back to the original positions.
  10. Insert the new bulb back into the housing.
It took me almost an hour for the first bulb because I tried following the steps in the manual. For the second bulb it took only about 10 minutes.

Daytime Running Lights

Bulbs were iJDMTOY 10-SMD-2835. Installation was extremely easy since the bulbs are accessible from under the hood.

No errors upon installation, but they did flicker every few minutes so I changed the coding to stop that. Coding was surprisingly simple. I purchased an ENET cable from Antonio on eBay (User: compubuildernet). After purchasing he sent me really detailed instructions with screenshots on how to run the coding program. I then changed the three settings per bulb indicated in RSnic's bulb chart (thanks!) and the flicker went away.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned their iJDMTOY bulbs were purplish, but I found mine were very white. My only complaint is they're not as bright as I would have liked. Here is a picture of them on a very sunny day:

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #68
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

i mentioned that H6W parking LED from IJDMTOY is purple.
DRL is white
      08-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #69
K320
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: G01-X3 30i MSport

Got these from ebay and got error when car is cold only:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391184802522...S:1123&vxp=mtr

DRL are running without errors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221483575810...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #70
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangson View Post
I recently swapped out my low beans with the GP Thunder bulbs suggested earlier in this thread, and also my DRL bulbs with LED ones from IJDMTOY. The installation wasn't that bad and I've been quite happy with the results. Below are some tips that hopefully will help others who want to do this in the future.

Low beams

The steps to replace the bulbs are in the manual, but one step I would change is the part where you remove the power connector before pulling out the bulb.
  1. Turn front wheels all the way to one side so you can access the panel in the wheel well.
  2. Remove panel.
  3. Twist bulb housing seal counter-clockwise and remove it.
  4. So far these steps are the same as the manual. Now instead of pulling the power out, I found it was easier to pull the entire bulb out while it was still connected. To do this, push these brackets down slightly so they don't block the bulb backing (the circular part). There are three brackets holding the bulb in place, but you only need to push two of them out of the way.
  5. For the previous step, using your phone camera can be very helpful. I turned it to video mode and left the flash on. With one hand holding the phone over the bulb housing I could see what I was doing with the other hand.
  6. Pull the entire bulb and connector out.
  7. Now you can use two hands to separate the bulb from the connector. Remember to only pull the bulb by its metal base and not the glass part.
  8. Connect new bulb to the connector.
  9. Push those metal brackets back to the original positions.
  10. Insert the new bulb back into the housing.
It took me almost an hour for the first bulb because I tried following the steps in the manual. For the second bulb it took only about 10 minutes.

Daytime Running Lights

Bulbs were iJDMTOY 10-SMD-2835. Installation was extremely easy since the bulbs are accessible from under the hood.

No errors upon installation, but they did flicker every few minutes so I changed the coding to stop that. Coding was surprisingly simple. I purchased an ENET cable from Antonio on eBay (User: compubuildernet). After purchasing he sent me really detailed instructions with screenshots on how to run the coding program. I then changed the three settings per bulb indicated in RSnic's bulb chart (thanks!) and the flicker went away.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned their iJDMTOY bulbs were purplish, but I found mine were very white. My only complaint is they're not as bright as I would have liked. Here is a picture of them on a very sunny day:

Dangson,

Oddly enough, Antonio is who I got my ENet cable from and was also instrumental in helping me as I started out coding -- great member of this community!

Glad to have helped!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #71
alihanoglu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
yes.. plug n play. no coding, no kit, no errors.

if it helps, here's a comparison pic of these 5800k pure white low-beam halogens against the yellow oem parking lamp halogens when i was doing some earlier testing/comparisons. they match the running led drls very nicely.
hi i want to buy white bulbs but i want make whole bulbs white.

can you suggest all white bulbs (best error free)?

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #72
alihanoglu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
While waiting to do my xenon/angel eye retrofit, I tried these just as an stop-gap / experiment and i'm pretty surprised how well they've worked so far. I didn't want to spend $50-$100 for a bulb and get mad if they didn't pan out. For $12, i figured these would be disposable, but after a couple of months, i still love 'em. They produce a very pure 5800k white light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380566869094

I had installed some Philips DRL LED Luxeon 8's that were pure 6000k white, and all of a sudden, i started to hate how they looked against the warm yellow color of the halogen DRL, parking, and low-beam bulbs. So I then replaced the stock DRLs to CREE LEDs (6000k white), the parking lamps to LED (PA from Taiwan), then my low-beams were next.

I don't know how important color is to you but .... you did mention "white halogens". Matching the white color was important to me. I first tried a set of 5000K color temp H7 low-beam halogens, but i wasn't satisfied with the whiteness of them. They were whiter than the standard 4300k yellow color of the OEM H7 halogen bulbs, but they still looked a tinge of yellow... especially against the pure white of the 6000k Philips DRLs, so i wanted to go whiter.

Then i tried these, which are rated for 5800k. They are not 6000k, but they are super close. I can't tell the difference. Everything is now a matched pure white color. I'm loving the look. No errors on the dash, so no coding, or kit replacement. Just a bulb swap.

And you probably already know that whiter light (higher color temp) will produce less lumens, which cuts down on visibility. So in order to produce enough output to meet minimum DOT safety requirements, they have to drive these harder. In addition, since these are still halogens and not xenons, they use a blue filter to achieve the white color look, which forces them to drive them even harder to meet minimum spec. All this results typically in shorter life span for the bulb. How much shorter? not really sure... But my feeling is that at $12 a pop, these are disposable anyways. I've had them going on two months now, and still going strong

I'll plan on keeping these until i do my xenon retrofit. i can buy 4 sets of these to pay for one pair of $50 brand name H7 halogen bulbs. Good trade-off for me ...
can i use these bulbs for high beams also?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #73
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

both use h7 type bulbs so I don't see why not
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #74
alihanoglu
Enlisted Member
Rep

this is my diy:

Philips Diamond Vision

https://www.dropbox.com/s/950il4urkm...%2033.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/azmnndw682...%2009.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by alihanoglu; 02-27-2016 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0