F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 330d LCI (2015) “Luxury”, Imperial Blue/Saddle Brown – the Magic Car
GetBMWParts

02-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #67
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d Luxury (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I could be massively incorrect, but I think the suspension is exactly the same in all respects, ride height/dampers/springs, whether you spec it on the M sport model or Luxury model.

Anyways you have the best of both worlds really, the looks you wanted + great handling.
I have to agree with you

On a related topic, I found the spreadsheet from August 2015, used to calculate price differences on various options between the Luxury and M-Sport models.

Name:  330d Price comparison.png
Views: 4187
Size:  95.5 KB

You'll see that the Luxury was more expensive by £895. The M-Sport had sports seats already included in its base price and its adaptive suspension was only £515 against £750 for it being added to the Luxury. And all because the Boss really didn't like the Estoril Blue colour. On the other hand, the M-Sport steering wheel's much better than the Luxury..

Here's a larger top down pic showing the colours, better. I still really hate that shut line

Name:  IMG_1947.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  671.1 KB
Review
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #68
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightSix-d View Post
You got it! I really don't know how much extra/better handling you'd get from a stock M-Sport with adaptive suspension, with the M-Sport being lowered by 10mm(?).

Has anyone driven/compared the Luxury version in this set up against a M-Sport with adaptive suspension?
If you have the adaptive suspension option, it is the same as in the M-sport, there is only one version for RWD models.

It is called "Adaptive M Sport Suspension" and is set ten millimetres lower than the SE/Luxury standard suspension in RWD models.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:33 AM   #69
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31

StraightSix-d

Regarding your continued use of Waze, have you activated your connected drive to get RTTI?

Any feedback on that vs waze ?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 04:44 AM   #70
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I like your individual steering wheel though, very rare and looks good.
      02-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #71
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
If you have the adaptive suspension option, it is the same as in the M-sport, there is only one version for RWD models.

It is called "Adaptive M Sport Suspension" and is set ten millimetres lower than the SE/Luxury standard suspension in RWD models.
Thanks for that info. So, I have an M-Sport without the M-Sport styling bits and bobs..
Review
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #72
pedroF31
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d Luxury

Awesome car. I bought my Imperial Blue Luxury about 6 weeks before they introduced the Individual Steering Wheel upgrade for £50 so I have the rubbish 'plastic' steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 04:31 PM   #73
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsy View Post
StraightSix-d

Regarding your continued use of Waze, have you activated your connected drive to get RTTI?

Any feedback on that vs waze ?
Hi subsy,
As I have the '609 Navigation Professional System', it all comes ready to go. I think I activated RTTI from one of the settings menus. And to be fair it works reasonably well.

The reason I still use Waze is that traffic jam alerts are so much easier to see, when glancing quickly at the screen, compared to the information/colour overload as shown on the iDrive navigation.

On the Waze screen, traffic problems, flow direction, severity are really clear. Instantly. Only major roads are shown, unless you zoom in. Roads outside your immediate route are lightly shaded and less emphasised.
Name:  Waze M25.png
Views: 1198
Size:  224.1 KB

On The iDrive, the map (to me – especially with a slight red/green colour blindness) is in contrast, a mess.
Name:  iDrive Nav screen.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  493.3 KB

According to the F30 manual, the traffic jam legend is:

Red = congestion.
Orange = stop-and-go traffic.
Yellow = heavy traffic.
Green = clear roads.
Grey = general traffic bulletins, e.g., construction site.

Also, Waze has speed camera alerts, which works intermittently.
Review
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #74
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute_BMW View Post
no angel eyes = no bmw. i am not happy with my car without LED DRL and didn't know about this before i signed.
This one's got LED DRLs. I couldn't care less if the DRLs were LEDs or candles. What really pisses me off is that the main lights are crappy halogens. Another forum member suggested better replacement halogens, but I'm wary of changing them in case I screw it up and I get hammered by the lease firm for unauthorised mods!
Review

Last edited by StraightSix-d; 02-04-2016 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #75
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that info. So, I have an M-Sport without the M-Sport styling bits and bobs..
One of the attractions of a BMW, you can tailor the build to your driving preference.

I've had an SE model and added sports seats and sport steering wheel to the build. I've also had the M-Tech suspension and all the key sport performance parts (including de-chroming) in a non M-sport model.

This time around I'm in an M-sport model without the standard M-sport suspension. It's upgraded to Adaptive Drive, rides 10mm higher, but more suited to my driving and preferences.

BTW, like your paint colour and leather/trim/wheel options. Smart looking car.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #76
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroF31 View Post
Awesome car. I bought my Imperial Blue Luxury about 6 weeks before they introduced the Individual Steering Wheel upgrade for £50 so I have the rubbish 'plastic' steering wheel.
That's odd. I checked my spec brochure from August 2015 and the 'Individual Leather Steering Wheel' was available as a £50 option. I had the basic steering wheel on my previous E90 325d and was determined to get a better one on this car.

How did you spec your interior? Did you choose black or saddle brown?
Review
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #77
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
One of the attractions of a BMW, you can tailor the build to your driving preference.

I've had an SE model and added sports seats and sport steering wheel to the build. I've also had the M-Tech suspension and all the key sport performance parts (including de-chroming) in a non M-sport model.

This time around I'm in an M-sport model without the standard M-sport suspension. It's upgraded to Adaptive Drive, rides 10mm higher, but more suited to my driving and preferences.

BTW, like your paint colour and leather/trim/wheel options. Smart looking car.
Interesting.. so how does the raised 10mm ride height make itself known? i.e. can you tell the difference on our roads?
Review
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #78
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I had the basic steering wheel on my previous E90 325d and was determined to get a better one on this car.
Not surprised, I added the sport steering wheel, not quite as good as the M-sport wheel, but much better than the standard one and good to use.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #79
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting.. so how does the raised 10mm ride height make itself known? i.e. can you tell the difference on our roads?
You can just about see the difference, (if you know the M-sport stance), but it isn't "on stilts" as some view any suspension, which isn't "filling" the arches.

This is how my car looks. I've parked along side an M-sport with passive M-sport suspension, you can just about see the difference.

The slight difference in ride height helps in that you don't get caught when parking. Seen many a BMW scrapping the front apron on kerbs, some are obviously lowered, but seen a few embarrassed drivers taking a look to see the damage.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #80
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You can just about see the difference, (if you know the M-sport stance), but it isn't "on stilts" as some view any suspension, which isn't "filling" the arches.

This is how my car looks. I've parked along side an M-sport with passive M-sport suspension, you can just about see the difference.

The slight difference in ride height helps in that you don't get caught when parking. Seen many a BMW scrapping the front apron on kerbs, some are obviously lowered, but seen a few embarrassed drivers taking a look to see the damage.
Thanks for that.
Review
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #81
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

Quote:
This one's got LED DRLs. I couldn't care less if the DRLs were LEDs or candles. What really pisses me is that the main lights are crappy halogens. Another forum member suggested better replacement halogens, but I'm wary of changing them in case I screw it up and I get hammered by the lease firm for unauthorised mods!
I have suffered the poor halogen headlamps since I have had my car. The other week I had a bulb blow and purchased these:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bul...ht-bulb-477-h7

They have made a massive difference and are not too difficult to fit either. I wished I had changed them sooner.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #82
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not surprised, I added the sport steering wheel, not quite as good as the M-sport wheel, but much better than the standard one and good to use.

This is what I had before.. a truly horrible, poverty spec steering wheel.
Name:  Interior 1.jpg
Views: 1615
Size:  51.4 KB

On the other hand, I think the E90 LCI redesign really got it right.

Name:  Front-quarter-2.JPG
Views: 1239
Size:  317.1 KB
Review
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 03:07 AM   #83
subsy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31

Quote:
Hi subsy,
As I have the '609 Navigation Professional System', it all comes ready to go. I think I activated RTTI from one of the settings menus. And to be fair it works reasonably well.

The reason I still use Waze is that traffic jam alerts are so much easier to see, when glancing quickly at the screen, compared to the information/colour overload as shown on the iDrive navigation.

On the Waze screen, traffic problems, flow direction, severity are really clear. Instantly. Only major roads are shown, unless you zoom in. Roads outside your immediate route are lightly shaded and less emphasised.
Attachment 1359042

On The iDrive, the map (to me – especially with a slight red/green colour blindness) is in contrast, a mess.
Attachment 1359043

According to the F30 manual, the traffic jam legend is:

Red = congestion.
Orange = stop-and-go traffic.
Yellow = heavy traffic.
Green = clear roads.
Grey = general traffic bulletins, e.g., construction site.

Also, Waze has speed camera alerts, which works intermittently.
Thanks mate, much appreciated. I'm a big waze user (Royalty Wazer) but I was hoping when I get my F31 to not need to have to use it anymore - perhaps its inevitable - ahwell, maybe the next gen of built-in satnavs will be better in this respect (and also have speed cam locations etc)

BTW Waze camera locations work perfectly for me (mostly A and M roads outside of london) - and because of the waze reporting functionality its very rare to see a temp speed cam van or traffic police stopped somewhere without a notification coming up in advance in waze - and if im the first to spot it, i'll do the location report

Last edited by subsy; 02-05-2016 at 03:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 05:57 PM   #84
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsy View Post
Thanks mate, much appreciated. I'm a big waze user (Royalty Wazer) but I was hoping when I get my F31 to not need to have to use it anymore - perhaps its inevitable - ahwell, maybe the next gen of built-in satnavs will be better in this respect (and also have speed cam locations etc)

BTW Waze camera locations work perfectly for me (mostly A and M roads outside of london) - and because of the waze reporting functionality its very rare to see a temp speed cam van or traffic police stopped somewhere without a notification coming up in advance in waze - and if im the first to spot it, i'll do the location report
Glad to help. I'm just surprised that in 2016 car makers' sat nav interfaces remain so poor. It's like using DOS when the Mac's available. I just checked my rank and it's also 'Royalty' I use the iDrive for close in navigation and just keep Waze on for reporting - but I only get intermittent speed camera alerts, so I'm trying out Cyclops to see if it's any better. I was recently in London and the proliferation of speed cameras now makes a warning app an absolute necessity.
Review
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #85
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute_BMW View Post
I am sorry to tell you this but i am in the same situation like yours. I don't even want to drive my car at night because of it's ugly halogen lights. I already replaced them with 2 pairs of H7 Phillips Diamond Vision (5000k) for both dipped/main beam, they look much better than yellowish halogens, but still awful compared to proper Xenon (produces sharp edges) or awesome LED adaptive headlights with angel eyes. I was 19 and didn't know much about cars when i bought mine. I thought all new BMW had cool white light with angel eyes.

Mine at night after replacing with Philips DV. No error.

LED reverse light added yesterday.
Those replacements look really good. Was it a difficult job? The bulb replacement instructions in the manual are a bit difficult to follow. I checked your link and the site says that "The Philips Diamond Vision range is not road legal in the UK."
Review
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:36 PM   #86
StraightSix-d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

6,000 mile update

So after 6k miles of smile-inducing driving, some updates which I hope will be useful to all.

Odd Wax Leakage
After a sustained burst of autobahn driving – around 2-3 hrs at 100-130mph, I checked the engine bay to find signs of what looked like coolant leakage.

Name:  wax-IMG_2304.JPG
Views: 1034
Size:  523.9 KB

Name:  wax-IMG_2305.JPG
Views: 1068
Size:  479.8 KB

Name:  wax-IMG_2306.JPG
Views: 923
Size:  511.0 KB

After speaking to the dealer, he reassured me that this was just sealing wax 'settling in'. Hmmm..

Cheap boot liner from Amazon.de for only €22. It's called “Aristar 193154 Kofferraumwanne”. If you buy it from Amazon.co.uk, it costs £35.

http://www.amazon.de/Aristar-ANTI193...ilpage_o01_s00

Name:  boot-IMG_2347.JPG
Views: 1040
Size:  616.2 KB

F30 bonnet mod.

I finally got rid of that ugly shut line using PS Clone Filter Mod. If only it was so easy.
Name:  Bonnet-IMG_1940.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  345.3 KB

Road Noise Comparison – Fiat 500 vs BMW F30 330d.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 00.22.24.png
Views: 3388
Size:  24.4 KB

Using a decibel meter on my iPhone, I measured interior noise in the Fiat 500 and the 330d, on the same stretch of A3, with both cars travelling at 60mph. The results are astonishing. The road noise suppression on a supposed premium BMW is no better than that of a cheap runabout Fiat.

The Autobahn Test
We did a short hop from Dunkirk to Central Germany (near Darmstadt) via Belgium in 5-6hrs with breaks and traffic jams. The 330d afforded effortless cruising at 100mph to 130mph. Even at 140mph, no instability or lateral movement. I didn't go any faster due to traffic and wanting to maintain safe braking distance. As others have mentioned, this is truly a peerless car. At ease in traffic, twisty country roads and autobahns. Even allowing for autobahn speeds, I managed to get from Germany to Dunkirk on one tank of fuel with 150 miles to spare.
Review
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:48 AM   #87
Snave1
Rep
Drives: 2015 330d SE

Looks like the protection wax they use, prob got nice and after long fast run
Appreciate 0