F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW 3 touring looks right for me
GetBMWParts

07-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
RWD-fun
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AWD

BMW 3 touring looks right for me

Looking to move away from my 2010 Impreza STi hatch, with two dogs, a 330d xdrive touring looks to fit the bill.

Personally M Sport brakes & Adaptive suspension seem to be high on the list, also I want to avoid 19" rims.

What options are a must?

D
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

If it has to be xdrive why not go for the 335d? Most 330d owners are people who don't want xdrive. I don't have xdrive but have heard that adaptive is a must.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Just had 3 years happy dogging with my 330d Xdrive Hearse.

Mine was xenon but had the adaptive lights, these were just awesome over the 3 years of ownership.

Also had Pro Nav and HK (with Msport +) both worked really well, would spec both again.

With the new car I am going Pano roof and if was having another F31, would likely go Pano as well.

If you do any mtb with your dogs, consider a rear mounted bike carrier.

I would also spec HUD and sign recognition this time around.

Really has been a great all round car, motorways, A&B roads and forest tracks, managed them effortlessly.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Just had 3 years happy dogging with my 330d Xdrive Hearse.

Mine was xenon but had the adaptive lights, these were just awesome over the 3 years of ownership.

Also had Pro Nav and HK (with Msport +) both worked really well, would spec both again.

With the new car I am going Pano roof and if was having another F31, would likely go Pano as well.

If you do any mtb with your dogs, consider a rear mounted bike carrier.

I would also spec HUD and sign recognition this time around.

Really has been a great all round car, motorways, A&B roads and forest tracks, managed them effortlessly.
To add to this, the rear mounted bike carrier requires a towbar to be fitted which is an expensive factory extra but is possible to fit a manual aftermarket one if you don't mind your car being cut up a bit.
      07-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Great car you won't regret. The M Sport Brakes a must, electric folding mirrors also and the electric seats are expensive but worth it if you can manage it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD-fun View Post
Looking to move away from my 2010 Impreza STi hatch, with two dogs, a 330d xdrive touring looks to fit the bill.

Personally M Sport brakes & Adaptive suspension seem to be high on the list, also I want to avoid 19" rims.

What options are a must?

D
19" wheels
Passive suspension
and RWD

Appreciate 1
      07-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 530d

My 335d wagon is leased so is pretty much povvo spec but TBH I dont miss any of the full monty of toys on my last car which had the works (different manufacturer)

The Pro Nav is a waste of money if buying new
Controversial I admit however the screen looks pretty but the routing and traffic info is abysmal, theres talk of it being improved and plenty of people here swear by it but my experience is poor

Whats well worth having in the Touring is extended storage
It gives an extra 12v for the back seat scumbags, clever luggage stuff in the boot, possibly even mesh pockets on the back of the front seats (surely these are standard?) but best of all a really useful cubby just under the light switch in the dashboard

Everything else is a bonus although my standard stereo isnt great, not completely crap though, and I wish Id specc'd advanced speakers over the Pro Nav - the HK speaker upgrade was superb in a previous 330d I had years ago and also comes with the M SPort Plus pack which gives you the brakes too, although bigger wheels than you specify I think

If your buying S/H make the most of somebody elses depreciation
If new you can up the price by £££££ but wont see much of it when you sell

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Extended storage is a must (clearly should be part of a bloody estate car anyway but hey!)
Comfort access is very useful and wouldn't do without it.
Shadowline replaces msport plus but id say that is good value if the monthlies or cash allow as you get the brakes, tinted glass, hk stereo and wheel options.

Bmw NAV is shite for traffic routing but with pro NAV you at least get a nice screen for all the other bits and looks good.

Lumbar support would be another one for me, I did a diy job though so again depends on cash.

A nice 340 doesnt tempt you then...?!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #9
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Extended storage is a must (clearly should be part of a bloody estate car anyway but hey!)
Comfort access is very useful and wouldn't do without it.
Shadowline replaces msport plus but id say that is good value if the monthlies or cash allow as you get the brakes, tinted glass, hk stereo and wheel options.

Bmw NAV is shite for traffic routing but with pro NAV you at least get a nice screen for all the other bits and looks good.

Lumbar support would be another one for me, I did a diy job though so again depends on cash.

A nice 340 doesnt tempt you then...?!
Extended storage - Great
Comfort access - convenient but makes the car a LOT easier to steal. Thieves love it.
Shadowline - probably worth it.
      07-24-2017, 04:02 PM   #10
RWD-fun
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all your suggestions, the original idea was to get a 320D and keep the Subaru for weekend fun, but that idea seems to be going out of the window.

We will look at 330d & 335d

The bigger engine seems like a better bet, the Subaru can safely overtake in most circumstances, I would hate to loose that ability. What I will not miss about the Subaru is being sat on the motorway at 70mph with the engine pulling approx 3000 rpm, no fun on a long journey.

I will miss the Subaru traction, great on summer tyres, great on Winters. I will not miss the £500 and increasing road fund license.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

You do realise that if buying new you're going to be looking at £450 road tax a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #12
RWD-fun
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
You do realise that if buying new you're going to be looking at £450 road tax a year.
I do

Dealerships registered a fair few 335Ds in March, probably to avoid the road tax hike, I am looking to see what is available
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #13
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

What size are your dogs? I've got two German Shepherds the boot is actually too small for them now. Ok for shortish journeys but couldn't take them away in it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 01:13 AM   #14
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
What size are your dogs? I've got two German Shepherds the boot is actually too small for them now. Ok for shortish journeys but couldn't take them away in it.
Yep good point, if you have decent sized dogs, then an F31 will likely not cut it.

You may want to look at a 5 series tourer.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 02:11 AM   #15
smithers330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD-fun View Post
We will look at 330d & 335d

The bigger engine seems like a better bet, the Subaru can safely overtake in most circumstances, I would hate to loose that ability.
You would not lose that ability with a 330d. Trust me. It has more than enough ooomph to see off most things.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 02:13 AM   #16
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

The ride on 19s with adaptive is very good (don't judge it on a drive of a non-adaptive car on 19s).

Electric memory seats are well worth having, especially if switching drivers a lot - BMW manual seat adjustment is nowhere near as precise (bigger steps between positions) and a nightmare to get right if changing frequently.

HUD with Speed Limit Display is excellent, but I'd take the electric seats in preference.

Don't forget that folding mirrors are optional, if this is something that you need.

Do test-drive a 40i before ruling it out, you might like it. Traction is not an issue as your right foot is in control far more than with the more abrupt torque delivery of a diesel. I kick the TC in far less in my 40i than my old E90 320d.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 04:09 AM   #17
RWD-fun
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
We have two greyhounds, leggy but not too big.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 04:32 AM   #18
RWD-fun
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Yep good point, if you have decent sized dogs, then an F31 will likely not cut it.

You may want to look at a 5 series tourer.
Think maybe we need to go and have a good look, I know the rear wheel arches protrude into the boot space, an initial look seemed that the boot was a fair size without putting seats down.

5 Series is too big externally for our needs.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 04:59 AM   #19
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340

40i petrol engine is the only "must have" option so I was extremely lucky it came as standard on mine.
Appreciate 2
Rukka2647.00
      07-25-2017, 05:21 AM   #20
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by james d View Post
40i petrol engine is the only "must have" option so I was extremely lucky it came as standard on mine.
That is actually true. I'd miss other things a little, but the 40i engine is what defines the car.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #21
Ross_T_Boss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

The 3 touring is a cracking car, it's each to their own on options but personally I'd not want to be without the pro nav and RTTI which is certainly great with driving in South/SE, it's saved me many a time. MSport+ a must IMO, adaptive headlight something I would always spec... suspension, forget adaptive and invest in aftermarket. The best 'option' on my car was the Birds' B3x kit which utterly transformed the car for daily fast road/motorway use.

The 3.0d engine in either guise is going to give adequate passing grunt, you don't need to worry about that.

Value is the issue I now have - the car served me incredibly well but I'm now comparing it to my wife's new leased Golf 7.5R Estate. The base spec on the R is great - I miss the dancing headlights and electric seats but prefer the digital dash, nav, CarPlay etc. And it's costing £3900pa rather than £6900pa, so that's where the my money is at.

Don't get me wrong, I take the 335d on a long run on my own every time given the choice, but it's days as our family car are dawning and as such I'll be reluctantly selling it soon as I don't need 2 mid-sized estates in the family and it doesn't represent the best value. When I was also covering 25k+ miles for businesss as well it was perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #22
RWD-fun
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross_T_Boss View Post
Value is the issue I now have - the car served me incredibly well but I'm now comparing it to my wife's new leased Golf 7.5R Estate. The base spec on the R is great - I miss the dancing headlights and electric seats but prefer the digital dash, nav, CarPlay etc. And it's costing £3900pa rather than £6900pa, so that's where the my money is at.
I have had a test drive in a Golf R Estate and it is great, I took the test drive in pouring rain on less than perfect B roads, whilst the AWD makes it very capable, driving it is very clinical. The reason for looking in the BMW direction is to get some of the RWD push, as I have with my current Subaru.

I completely agree with you about costs, is the BMW £xxxx more of a car than the Golf? I don't know.
Appreciate 0