F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 3000 miles with my F30, things I didn't like
proTUNING Freaks

12-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #23
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayir View Post

2. Sport mode does not shift to 8th gear. I don`t see any logic here. i want a firm suspension, better steering and gas responses. In return while cruising at 80mph on CC, I spend extra dollars for gas. I put in manual mode and shift to 8 to overcome this but it is not the best solution.

4. Doors lock when you start driving, they should all unlock when drivers door opened. I got out go the rear door to tkae the kid out, ooops it is locked. I return the front door go in the car press the button, or touch to handle or take out the key.

6. There is no good way to put my legs. Left one hits to handle if I keep my leg closer. If I put it on the foot rest it hits to door pocket. Right leg when I use CC, no place to put it. It hits to center console in anyway.

7. No next button on the steering wheel. To switch between radios or songs instead of pressing next. You need to roll and then click. 2 movements instead of one. Probably next button is the most used button on any car radio. Why would you make it two steps.

Don`t get me wrong I still like to drive her and driving dynamics are amazing.
#2- I agree with you. Sport drivers mode also puts the trans "D" selection into sport mode. It will shift to 7th once you get past 60mph and steady cruise. To get to 8th you have to get to 100mph. Not very useful or practical for US roads.
There is already a trans "sport" mode, you move the lever to the left and it's now in "S/D", which holds gears for better accel, and prefers to use the 6 drive gears, until the car gets to a higher cruising speed.

Some say that when in sport drivers mode the trans should act this way because you are in "sport" mode. Yes, but that can easily be achieved by moving the gear lever to the left, and now you're also in sport trans mode.
By having both trans D and D/S do virtually the same thing when driver mode is in sport, it's redundant.

If you get the DH pkg you also get a bit extra control over thos settings, but not all. I set my sport mode to give me the firmer steering, sport suspension, comfort throttle, and comfort trans. If I want more aggressive trans I move the lever to the D/S sport mode.
The only thing lacking with this selection is that the more responsive throttle can't be selected.

#4- YES, all the doors should be unlocked when the car is shut off. There are a couple of choices for door locks, but they are for what the locks should do when you unlock the car, and when you start driving. BMW forgot to add an "all unlock" when the car shut off and everyone needs to get out. As you said, you have to remember to push the unlock button if you need to let people out or to access something in the rear.
Clearly and oversight. And, it's not programmable via iDrive.
If someone knows it's in there, please post.

#6- I had this same problem with the non sport seats. The sport seats seem to "hold" my legs better and I don't hit the handle or cup holder nearly as much. The thigh support extensions seem to help with this.
It took a while to set my sport seats to my liking but I finally have them set and leg driving position is much better.
Try raising you seat higher. In non sport seat F30 I find that raising the seat a few inches helps with leg room. You have to try different combinations of height along with fore and aft adjustments, and you should be able to find a position you like.

The trans issue and the locks are my biggest gripe. But, I've gotten over it. Just because BMW decided to do things a certain way doesn't then mean it's the best way.

Last edited by RPM90; 12-09-2012 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Just to clear something up, the AT has 8 gears. 1-6 are "drive" geas, 7 and 8 are
"over drive" for lower rpm cruising and better MPG.
If you put the trans in "sport" mode it does not change the gear ratios.
Sport trans mode seeks to use the first 6 drive gears for sporty driving. Sport mode will shift to 7th but you have to be at highway speed and cruising. 8th will come but only after 100mph when cruising.

Sport trans mode makes sense, and the trans logic is pretty darn good.
The OP and I are simply not pleased with the trans when drivers mode is set to "sport", as it will also set the trans "D" mode to sport.
My guess is that BMW was attempting a one button solution, instead of having the driver select sport driver mode and then move the lever to the left/sport DS mode.
I don't agree that that was the best way to implement this.

As the OP stated, just because you want the firmer more BMW like steering, and the quicker throttle response, that doesn't also mean you don't want 7th and 8th gear at typical highway speeds, in order to get lower rpm cruising and better MPG.

The best solution to all of this, and to make all drivers happy, BMW should allow the driver to check off which items he wants for "comfort" and "sport" mode.
The DH pkg gives some additional settings, but those too are a take it of leave it setting. Customization of these things would be very easy for BMW to implement, just takes a bit of programming.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #25
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Customization of these things would be very easy for BMW to implement, just takes a bit of programming.
That's what they make the ///M models for.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
That's what they make the ///M models for.
Great. I have to spend tens of thousands more to get what could have easily been done in the first place.
I'm not looking for the performance of an M. I'm simply saying that if BMW is going to offer different "driver modes", then do it right.

All the mechanical bits are there. It's just a matter of creating a program that allows the driver to check off the settings as they like, and then allow a driver to select which group of settings will be default and be there on start up.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #27
ptt127
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

You mentioned that you like sport mode for the stiffer suspension. Does that mean that you have the Dynamic Handling package? If so, you can configure sport mode to affect chassis only (what you want), drivetrain only, or both. When you select Sport mode, "Configure Sport Mode" would be an option if you had DH. If not, then you don't have DH, but that also means that Sport mode only affects steering, transmission, and throttle response, not suspension.

This is one of the main reasons we got DHP. Although to be honest, steering effort is more or less indistinguishable at freeway speeds, as opposed to lower speeds where I can feel some difference. They are all too light though.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #28
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

All the mechanical bits are there. It's just a matter of creating a program that allows the driver to check off the settings as they like, and then allow a driver to select which group of settings will be default and be there on start up.
Why would you assume there is $0 cost for programming, testing, etc., for this capability? Just like most things in life, there's good, better, and best. You gotta pay to play.

If a regular 335i could do it, it might take away sales from an M3. BMW know what they're doing.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #29
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt127 View Post
You mentioned that you like sport mode for the stiffer suspension. Does that mean that you have the Dynamic Handling package? If so, you can configure sport mode to affect chassis only (what you want), drivetrain only, or both. When you select Sport mode, "Configure Sport Mode" would be an option if you had DH. If not, then you don't have DH, but that also means that Sport mode only affects steering, transmission, and throttle response, not suspension.

This is one of the main reasons we got DHP. Although to be honest, steering effort is more or less indistinguishable at freeway speeds, as opposed to lower speeds where I can feel some difference. They are all too light though.
I'm not sure but I don't think the OP has the DH pkg.

I agree with you that steering effort is still too light, especially at lower speeds.
I like the adaptive dampers in the DH pkg. When I ordered my Msport back in May/June I wasn't aware about the extra settings that work with drivers mode.
I think it would have been better to simply offer a separate iDrive control for the adaptive suspension, either "firm/sport" or "normal/comfort", that way you can use it anyway you like with any driver mode.
Audi's drive select system allows customization in their "individual" mode.
That is what is missing on our cars
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #30
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Why would you assume there is $0 cost for programming, testing, etc., for this capability? Just like most things in life, there's good, better, and best. You gotta pay to play.

If a regular 335i could do it, it might take away sales from an M3. BMW know what they're doing.
It's your assumption that I said it would cost $0.
That is not what I wrote.

The cost to implement a driver selectable system is much less than having to buy an M.
I highly doubt that adding a driver selectable system will take away from M sales.
You have a flare for hyperbole.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #31
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Regarding the locks not opening when the car is stopped and in park. This is a safety feature. Suppose you are in a bad part of town. You may not want all the doors to open. If you want all the doors to unlock just push the button on the dash. Is it that big of a deal?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #32
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Regarding the locks not opening when the car is stopped and in park. This is a safety feature. Suppose you are in a bad part of town. You may not want all the doors to open.
Even safer: Don't turn the car off, don't put it in park, keep moving.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #33
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Sport drivers mode also puts the trans "D" selection into sport mode. It will shift to 7th once you get past 60mph and steady cruise. To get to 8th you have to get to 100mph. Not very useful or practical for US roads.
It depends on how you drive. It make perfect sense when driving aggressively in an area with many tight corners, punctuated with the occasional fast sweeper.

For slower drivers who wish to cruise in a higher gear, seven and eight are a trivially easy button push away.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #34
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's your assumption that I said it would cost $0.
That is not what I wrote.

The cost to implement a driver selectable system is much less than having to buy an M.
I highly doubt that adding a driver selectable system will take away from M sales.
You have a flare for hyperbole.
You appear to be missing my (and BMW's) point. Sure, they can do all those things, but you need to step up to the right car. You can't pick and choose which M-features get to trickle down to the series-cars, only BMW can

It's just like when everyone on E90Post cried about the lack of OEM true LSD option. Sure, it's probably only $500 in parts to add one. But BMW saves that kind of tech/performance for true ///M cars. Nothing wrong with wanting very advanced drive/suspension mode settings, or an LSD. Just get the right car.

Last edited by SamS; 12-09-2012 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #35
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk
Quote:
Sport drivers mode also puts the trans "D" selection into sport mode. It will shift to 7th once you get past 60mph and steady cruise. To get to 8th you have to get to 100mph. Not very useful or practical for US roads.
It depends on how you drive. It make perfect sense when driving aggressively in an area with many tight corners, punctuated with the occasional fast sweeper.

For slower drivers who wish to cruise in a higher gear, seven and eight are a trivially easy button push away.
Exactly. I think sport mode was created with driving on a track or canyon and high speed highway driving in mind. Not for going the speed limit id rather be in a lower gear than a higher one. I average less than 17mpg in my car now. Who cares.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #36
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
I don't think any other car forces you to pull the handle twice to get out.
The E90 does. Yes, it is a little odd for first time passengers.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #37
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarclay410 View Post
Ill say something about every one of your complaints.
1. the "menu" button takes you to the home screen. Also, if you hit the option key while in music or nav or whatever, you can edit the split screen content to map or entertainment details or whatever you want.
2. it will shift to 8th gear if you are going fast enough or if in auto/no sport mode. As for the suspension and gas responses, you bought the modern line in a 328i. IF you had bought the SPort line, you would have received a better suspension, also, if you had bought the 335, it would have solved your response issues. BMW steering on the new F30s is electronic like the F10 5-series so its very light. If you put your car in sport plus mode, the steering gets heavier. As for gas mileage, put it in eco pro mode.
3. Night mode? You can turn down the brightness of the idrive in settings. IF you have navigation, there is also a "night" mode available for map view.
4.You can change settings to keep the car from locking the doors automatically. Next, for the unlocking, get your car coded. I have mine coded so that when i hold down the start/stop button, it ejects my key for me and unlocks all doors. BMW makes their car best for the driver, ergo, "The Ultimate Driving Machine" Don't expect them to unlock all your doors since its pointless if you're alone.
5. I suppose you are talking about the auto high beam feature. Im not exactly familiar with this feature but it seems that this, again is something you can change in the settings.
6. Move your chair back and give yourself some space.
7. I know for a fact that there is an up/down button of your steering wheel. Try that.
8. Turn your headlights to auto, once you get into a dark area, your lights and instrument cluster will light up. Why do you need to have it on in the day time? I can see just fine in the day time.
Is this your first BMW? This is much more different and complex than a jeep. Take some time to learn about your car, read a the manual, spend some time reading various topics on the forums here. Most importantly, enjoy your car! We here on the forums are here to help you with anything you need. Trust me, there is a reason why the 3-series has been one of Car and Driver's favorite cars for nearly 30 years.
Thank you for the answers. I think I was not very clear on some of my points.

1. Menu button takes me to the menu screen. I was trying to mean there should be a home screen with the most used information displayed or it can be customized. It can be something displaying entertainment details, range, consumption, time. You always need to be in menus unless you switch to navi.
2. I got the DHP so I believe I have a better suspension then the sportline and variable sport steering. I explain my logic here a few post ago. Auto 8 has the same ratio as the manual 6. The typical manual driver will put in the 6 while cruising at a steady speed on highway so the auto needs to switch to 8 when you are not pushing the gas pedal hard or using cc.
3. Yes there is night/day for the map but not for screen. Of course I can dim the screen using brightness setting. What I am saying why it can`t dim automatically like the HUD does or like the small screen in cluster that changes color. Almost all the cars dim their screens (dot matrix or lcd) when you turn on the headlights.
4. If it locks all the doors, it should unlock all the door according to my logic. Or even better it should unlock the ones it locked
7. There is roller. It goes up and down but then you have to click to select.
8. i think this is because of the oyster color gauges. I use my headlights at auto all the time. The gauges are oyster and numbers are white. There is not a high contrast like the black and white in other lines.

This is my second BMW. I had an Z4(E85) before. It is not fair to compare a 2005 Jeep to a 2013 BMW but believe me it is not as simple as you think. It has power adjustable pedals which I have never seen before in any car. It has an auto high beam which is nice for 2005. More capable 4x4 system not surprisingly.

The surprising thing is that some of things I am mentioning are present on a $20.000 car.
      12-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #38
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just to clear something up, the AT has 8 gears. 1-6 are "drive" geas, 7 and 8 are
"over drive" for lower rpm cruising and better MPG.
If you put the trans in "sport" mode it does not change the gear ratios.
Sport trans mode seeks to use the first 6 drive gears for sporty driving. Sport mode will shift to 7th but you have to be at highway speed and cruising. 8th will come but only after 100mph when cruising.

Sport trans mode makes sense, and the trans logic is pretty darn good.
The OP and I are simply not pleased with the trans when drivers mode is set to "sport", as it will also set the trans "D" mode to sport.
My guess is that BMW was attempting a one button solution, instead of having the driver select sport driver mode and then move the lever to the left/sport DS mode.
I don't agree that that was the best way to implement this.

As the OP stated, just because you want the firmer more BMW like steering, and the quicker throttle response, that doesn't also mean you don't want 7th and 8th gear at typical highway speeds, in order to get lower rpm cruising and better MPG.

The best solution to all of this, and to make all drivers happy, BMW should allow the driver to check off which items he wants for "comfort" and "sport" mode.
The DH pkg gives some additional settings, but those too are a take it of leave it setting. Customization of these things would be very easy for BMW to implement, just takes a bit of programming.
Why do you say 7and 8 are overdrives. A few posts ago I wrote it. Look at the ratios of the Manual 6 and Auto 8.
A6=M4
A7=M5
A8=M6

Is the 5 and 6 are overdrive for the manual Then it nees to reach the top speed at 4. i don`t think it is the case.

It has 8 gears to keep the consumption low in city driving mostly. Looking at gear ratios shows this.

I also like the logic of the trans in sport mode except it shifts to 8 very late IMO. I learnt that it shifts to 8 at 100mph from the posts. May be that logic fits to the German autobahns. Than I can`t question it.
      12-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #39
ptt127
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Since you got DHP, you can configure Sport mode to affect Chassis only. The transmission behavior will then be the same as when in Comfort mode. See my post above- when you select Sport mode using the Driving Experience switch, there is a menu option to configure sport mode or sport mode settings, forgot which. Then select Chassis. Additionally this is stored in the user profile so you will have to do this once for each key profile if you want it to do this for each key.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #40
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt127 View Post
Since you got DHP, you can configure Sport mode to affect Chassis only. The transmission behavior will then be the same as when in Comfort mode. See my post above- when you select Sport mode using the Driving Experience switch, there is a menu option to configure sport mode or sport mode settings, forgot which. Then select Chassis. Additionally this is stored in the user profile so you will have to do this once for each key profile if you want it to do this for each key.
Yes I can choose either chassis or drivetrain. I tried it with chassis only but I believe the throttle response is tied to drivetrain. It didn`t feel as responsive as drivetrain+chassis.
      12-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #41
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Thank you for the answers. I think I was not very clear on some of my points.

1. Menu button takes me to the menu screen. I was trying to mean there should be a home screen with the most used information displayed or it can be customized. It can be something displaying entertainment details, range, consumption, time. You always need to be in menus unless you switch to navi.
2. I got the DHP so I believe I have a better suspension then the sportline and variable sport steering. I explain my logic here a few post ago. Auto 8 has the same ratio as the manual 6. The typical manual driver will put in the 6 while cruising at a steady speed on highway so the auto needs to switch to 8 when you are not pushing the gas pedal hard or using cc.
3. Yes there is night/day for the map but not for screen. Of course I can dim the screen using brightness setting. What I am saying why it can`t dim automatically like the HUD does or like the small screen in cluster that changes color. Almost all the cars dim their screens (dot matrix or lcd) when you turn on the headlights.
4. If it locks all the doors, it should unlock all the door according to my logic. Or even better it should unlock the ones it locked
7. There is roller. It goes up and down but then you have to click to select.
8. i think this is because of the oyster color gauges. I use my headlights at auto all the time. The gauges are oyster and numbers are white. There is not a high contrast like the black and white in other lines.

This is my second BMW. I had an Z4(E85) before. It is not fair to compare a 2005 Jeep to a 2013 BMW but believe me it is not as simple as you think. It has power adjustable pedals which I have never seen before in any car. It has an auto high beam which is nice for 2005. More capable 4x4 system not surprisingly.

The surprising thing is that some of things I am mentioning are present on a $20.000 car.
1. I have programmable button 1 on my radio set to go to the trip meter screen. It has most of what you're looking for - range, consumption and time. It doesn't show entertainment details though. That's my "home" screen - it's what's displaying 90% of the time while driving.

2. Agreed. Sometimes I want the Sport mode steering and throttle response even when just cruising the Interstate, and it'd be nice for the auto to drop into 8th gear. The transmission downshifts plenty fast enough in Comfort mode if I dip into the throttle.

3. My screen goes darker at night. Not sure why yours doesn't.

4. I actually prefer it that the car never unlocks a door automatically. I only want it to unlock when I specifically tell it to. (Along those lines, I also dislike that it will sometimes automatically put itself in Park.)

6. Must be my body proportions, but I don't have any issues with my leg positions at all. Unfortunately, I instead have a problem with the steering wheel blocking the top of the gauges.

7. Strongly agree. The most used button in my car (if you don't consider the turn signal a button!) is the one furthest away. The "next" button. I primarily listen to my entire music library in random mode - the roller doesn't respect that setting, it just goes to the next alphabetically sorted track.

8. Somewhat agree. Even on my Sport Line, it would be nice for a little bit extra of white illumination of the gauges during the daytime.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #42
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
6. Must be my body proportions, but I don't have any issues with my leg positions at all. Unfortunately, I instead have a problem with the steering wheel blocking the top of the gauges.
I never experienced that. Can`t you raise the steering wheel more.Is it at the highest position?

Last edited by Hayir; 12-10-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #43
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Regarding the locks not opening when the car is stopped and in park. This is a safety feature. Suppose you are in a bad part of town. You may not want all the doors to open. If you want all the doors to unlock just push the button on the dash. Is it that big of a deal?
not a big deal just a minor thing. I am getting used the button on the center console. I push it before I got out.

You may be right for safety. My logic was, if it is locking all the doors automatically, it should unlock all the doors when I push the door handle on drivers side. I thought it would be more convenient but then may be it would be less safe.

My baby is only 5 months old so I have a need to open the rear door from outside for the last couple months. May be other cars were the same but I didn`t realize because I didn`t need it.
      12-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #44
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
I never experienced that. Can`t you raise the steering wheel more.Is it at the highest position?
Hehe, it's at it's LOWEST position, and that's still higher than I prefer. (Of the two, I find the blocked instrument less annoying than a too-high steering wheel.) I can raise the seat, but then the rear-view mirror starts to block my forward vivsion and I prefer a lower seating position anyway. No biggie, but the ergonomics just aren't quite how I would do it. <shrug>
Appreciate 0