F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M sport steering wheel
proTUNING Freaks

06-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Had a chance to see it today on an M-6...Very very nice. Nice thick padding but not too thick. The leather is very smooth ( unlike on my 135i) so I do see potenial for scratching.

Tough to walk away from that steering wheel but the rear view of the M sport package on the AW 335 that I am ordering just does not work for me.
Hence have to make a trade off.

Maybe at some point it could be bought on aftermarket. I liked the M sport wheel alot though my son liked the OEM sport steering wheel better even w/o cost considerations.

Last edited by emtrey; 06-09-2012 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Dunno abt US, but for EU/ROW markets the M-sport steering wheel as available as a standalone option.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
ikonic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 328I M-Sport

I'm pretty sure the M6 wheel (although looks similar to the F30 M-Sport wheel) is actually slightly different in terms if its thickness and material.

Can someone confirm with pics? (i'm on my iphone)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
740i325e135i
Not worthy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, 325e, 528i, 740i, F30

Here is the MY13 M6 steering wheel

Name:  2013-BMW-M6-coupe-steering-wheel.jpg
Views: 11202
Size:  72.2 KB
      06-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
ikonic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 328I M-Sport

and here is the F30 steering wheel....

Stitching is missing the M colours, but that aside... very similar...

The bottom spoke doesn't have a gap like the M6 as well if my eyes aren't deceiving me?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The basic design & the material should be the same, only the shift paddles & the lower part of the wheel is different.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If u look closely it seems to have blue stitching.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

It does have only blue stitching.
Why?

Seems the whole Msport thing is all about estoril blue and how that exterior is highlighted in the interior with anodized blue trim and blue stitching.
I'm looking at a silver Msport with red seats. The multi colored stitch of an M wheel would compliment better than just blue. IN fact, just blue doesn't really go with red leather at all, cause there is no other blue anywhere. I'm getting the hex alum with black trim.

I love that steering wheel, but I may need to rethink my desire for the Msport.
Most of my time will be spent inside the car so I need the interior to be more to my liking. The Msport body kit is nice, well except for the kinda funky rear end. But the very limited interior trim choice is bothering me.
My other color choice is melbourne. The red stitched black leather with red anodized trim and brushed aluminum would all look so very nice with the red trimmed floor mats and Msport red body kit. But, that's just not available for whatever f'ing reason. Oh, it's because one should get estoril blue if they want Msport, I guess.
Estoril is a nice color, but not to my liking, to each his own, so not for me.
I don't know. Maybe I should just go with sport line. It would be awesome of BMW offered the M steering wheel ala carte, but no, can't have that for the USA folks. FAIL!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
740i325e135i
Not worthy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, 325e, 528i, 740i, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Why?

Seems the whole Msport thing is all about estoril blue ..
RPM90, I went through the same agonising analysis that you are.I am not buying all the hype Msport is getting. For me 'M' meant performance and for me a blue thread is not performance...call me old fashion...
This 'M' badging thing has gone too far lately, If BMW isn't careful they will start to dilute and destroy the M brand...

Quote:
It would be awesome of BMW offered the M steering wheel ala carte, but no, can't have that for the USA folks. FAIL!
My guess, It will come eventually unless its some strange US airbag requirement preventing it
      06-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740i325e135i View Post
RPM90, I went through the same agonising analysis that you are.I am not buying all the hype Msport is getting. For me 'M' meant performance and for me a blue thread is not performance...call me old fashion...
This 'M' badging thing has gone too far lately, If BMW isn't careful they will start to dilute and destroy the M brand...

My guess, It will come eventually unless its some strange US airbag requirement preventing it
"M" is becoming like "S-Line" with Audi.
It's all about a "look" much more than performance.

When I bought my 135i there were 2 sport options, regular "sport" and "M sport". The difference was all cosmetic. The M sport wheels were different, and there were some nice M badged items. Functionally both sport pkgs had the same things with stock sport suspensions, sport seats, and same M sport steering wheel.
No body kit or exterior differences.

I think there would be happier customers if BMW made the "sport line" and "M sport" equipment the same. Then, Msport would have optional appearance wheels, some M badged interior items, and an M body kit.
As it stands, it's like I've already said it's about Msport and the estoril blue, as if BMW couldn't simply have made it an option for those who "get it". I don't.

Anyway, off to my dealer right now to put my order in, assuming I'm happy with the interior options choices. I'm hoping Msport on the order screen will allow more choice that what I've already seen.
If not, I may just get sport line and get the actual interior I like. Maybe I'll be able to find the M steering wheel somewhere later.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740i325e135i View Post

Recently read a post on the ordering thread, that the Msport steering
wheel will not have blue only stitching. If that's true that would be great.
I would be cool to have multi color like the M6 wheel or just black.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
what kind of leather does the m sport steering wheel have?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #13
Howowcanigo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Opel Astra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
what kind of leather does the m sport steering wheel have?
Nappa leather,as far as I could feel.

Howow
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 04:08 AM   #14
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Why?

Seems the whole Msport thing is all about estoril blue and how that exterior is highlighted in the interior with anodized blue trim and blue stitching.
I'm looking at a silver Msport with red seats. The multi colored stitch of an M wheel would compliment better than just blue. IN fact, just blue doesn't really go with red leather at all, cause there is no other blue anywhere. I'm getting the hex alum with black trim.

I love that steering wheel, but I may need to rethink my desire for the Msport.
Most of my time will be spent inside the car so I need the interior to be more to my liking. The Msport body kit is nice, well except for the kinda funky rear end. But the very limited interior trim choice is bothering me.
My other color choice is melbourne. The red stitched black leather with red anodized trim and brushed aluminum would all look so very nice with the red trimmed floor mats and Msport red body kit. But, that's just not available for whatever f'ing reason. Oh, it's because one should get estoril blue if they want Msport, I guess.
Estoril is a nice color, but not to my liking, to each his own, so not for me.
I don't know. Maybe I should just go with sport line. It would be awesome of BMW offered the M steering wheel ala carte, but no, can't have that for the USA folks. FAIL!
For me personally I like everything about the M sport 335i except the matte blue trim on the dash. I just feel like it only compliments a few exterior colors. But that steering wheel ooooooh it's so sexy!

You have to post pics when you get it.