F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Driver Assistance Packages… I don’t get it.
Extreme Powerhouse

09-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #45
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post

The cameras in a well equipped 3 series allows you to have 1-2 inch resolution on objects you can collide with. I can pull my car out of spots successfully where bystanders and the valets are screaming at me to stop. That's something I don't have confidence to do in a regular car, and I'm the kind of person who would spend a weekend in a parking lot with 2 trash cans training myself on parking my car.

Also, with regards to blind spot assist, collision assist, and adaptive cruise, you have to remember that some of us use our cars to commute to and from work. Not race it at a track with other real men (tm). Sometimes we don't get enough sleep the night before. Or something awful that happens at work has our minds distracted. Or a text comes in about a family member in the hospital or a text comes in that says "Hey can I put Arco 87 octane in your car? kthxbai". There's been plenty of times where I've been preoccupied with a near accident resulting from some moron cutting me off as I'm merging on an onramp that I didn't have time to look at speed limit signs. Is it 55 or 65? Are you sure? You wanna bet that on a $500 speeding ticket and a 30% insurance hike?

Real life is distracting, and even the best of us get tempted into taking our eyes off the road. Anything that computers can do to assist, I appreciate.

If anything, I want more driver assistance features in my next car. Not less. I don't want any of them to get in the way of my ability to drive my own car, but I think the execution of these features in my BMW is pretty well balanced.
A 3 doesn't have to be "well equipped" to have the back up camera system.
It's a $950 option that can be added to the most basic of base models.
You can have a base 3 with "driver assist pkg" for $38,975.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #46
Stoofpilot
Naval Aviator
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

My personal feeling is that there is no rime or reason as to how BMW prices all of these options other than to take a $32,000 car and make it a $51,000.00 car.
      09-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #47
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofpilot View Post
My personal feeling is that there is no rime or reason as to how BMW prices all of these options other than to take a $32,000 car and make it a $51,000.00 car.
What's Porsche's excuse?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #48
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
And even after that entirely lengthy diatribe, you still miss the point about what is, for all intents and purposes, a daily driven vehicle for 99% of the people who own these cars. If you prefer to buy a car entirely for the small percentage of time that you spend "driving enthusiastically", that's awesome. For some of us enthusiasts (...yes, I'm a self-proclaimed enthusiast....I just choose to wrangle bikes around a track these days rather than my daily driven BMW, and I'm faster on two wheels than most "enthusiasts" are in their cars), some creature comforts are necessary for the car that spends the large majority of its time in stop and go traffic or pillaging from stoplight to stoplight.
Actually, I didn't. If you read that overly long and wordy diatribe, you'd see that I do get it.
I 'prefer' a sport/Msport variant that is not softened compared to previous versions
I know, it IS an awesome position to take.

Regarding options, it's absolutely an individual's choice to decide what they want and don't want for options.
Never said/wrote that it wasn't.

And, you missed the sarcasm, even though I even stated that it was sarcasm.

That thing about about being "faster" on your bike...that's a loaded sceanario.
Here, I can do it too. I'm faster than most F1 drivers when I'm walking...and the F1 driver and car are waiting in the pit area.

My post is about the direction that BMW took the 3 series in, and in my view, they did the wrong things, as related to the 'driving enthusiast'.
One can still be an 'auto enthusiast' without being a driving enthusiast.
It comes down to what aspects of the car are MOST important to the person.
And as I said, it's personal choice. And it's perfectly fine to like one more than the other, or to like both.

If commuting in a slow straight line were my main need, I wouldn't have chosen a 3 series Msport. Heck, I wouldn't have chosen a 3 series at all.
To me, people who buy a 3 series sport/Msport just to commute on straight roads with heavy and/or slow traffic, and didn't get on mainly for those days and times when they can go for spirited fun rides seeking cool roads, are not "driving enthusiasts".
They are commuters who want to drive a brand that makes them look special. BMW has 3's for those people.

If you are not one of those, COOL.
Then I'm not referring to you.
You can now unbunch your sport panties.

I'm kidding. Relax.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #49
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What's Porsche's excuse?
The same one.

Neither BMW nor Porsche offer an excuse.
And with the way their sales are going, they don't have to give one.

But then, I don't have to buy those options either.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #50
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Actually, I didn't. If you read that overly long and wordy diatribe, you'd see that I do get it.
I 'prefer' a sport/Msport variant that is not softened compared to previous versions

Regarding options, it's absolutely an individual's choice to decide what they want and don't want for options.

Here, I can do it too. I'm faster than most F1 drivers when I'm walking...and the F1 driver and car are waiting in the pit area.

My post is about the direction that BMW took the 3 series in, and in my view, they did the wrong things, as related to the 'driving enthusiast'.
And as I said, it's personal choice. And it's perfectly fine to like one more than the other, or to like both.

If commuting in a slow straight line were my main need, I wouldn't have chosen a 3 series Msport. Heck, I wouldn't have chosen a 3 series at all.
To me, people who buy a 3 series sport/Msport just to commute on straight roads with heavy and/or slow traffic, and didn't get on mainly for those days and times when they can go for spirited fun rides seeking cool roads, are not "driving enthusiasts".
They are commuters who want to drive a brand that makes them look special. BMW has 3's for those people.

I'm kidding. Relax.

LOL! As I eat my gummy bears and drink my Pepsi I'll state with absolute certainty, "No bunched panties here. Amicable I am!"
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #51
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've found most options/packages which don't effect performance or appearance to be a complete waste of money. It's outright laughable when the price of options can balloon the MSRP to above either the next trim or entire model.

Example...you can load up a no-line 328i to cost $6K more than a 335i M-Sport. Cool!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #52
F32
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Walking is an option if you don't have a date in heels.
A proper lady should be able to jog a marathon in 12+ cm Loubis. With nary a blister. Or complaint.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #53
e46tiag
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82

BTW, if you order M-Sport package on a 4-series, you won't be getting blind spot detection with any package. It's not compatible.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #54
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
A proper lady should be able to jog a marathon in 12+ cm Loubis. With nary a blister. Or complaint.
"And her heart colder than the souls of men / Louboutin on the toes again / Tight dress dancing close to him"
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #55
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32
I've found most options/packages which don't effect performance or appearance to be a complete waste of money. It's outright laughable when the price of options can balloon the MSRP to above either the next trim or entire model.

Example...you can load up a no-line 328i to cost $6K more than a 335i M-Sport. Cool!
But that 335i wouldn't be as well optioned AND not everyone cares about the performance figures.

Also: you don't happen to be a fan of vanilla ice cream by any chance eh?

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #56
F32
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmokeBBQ View Post
Also: you don't happen to be a fan of vanilla ice cream by any chance eh?
Hate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #57
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

I'm kidding. Relax.
Hey now! I drive 5 blocks to the office everyday in my 335 MSport, in which I just installed the M Performance Suspension and will be adding PPK! I bought the car and added MPS just so I can take a spirited drive around the "round-a-bout" within my office grounds! Unfortunately, I did not add the Driver's Assistant Package...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #58
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

On the bright side, that's why they're options. Some people want their cars to be all about performance, others want them to be all about luxury. Most are somewhere between, and I'm glad when manufacturers itemize options and allow us to pick and choose.
      09-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #59
or0b0to
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Something old and moldy

I think it's fine and well if having these options are something that is personally important... But...

What I find egregious is the cost.

Most of the infrastructure to support these options are already in place, all that is changed HW wise are cameras and wiring.

There's absolutely no reason a back up camera should cost $950

The only reasoning I can come up with is that BMW knows its customer base will pay more because they earn more, so why not take their dough.

Think about it... You could tape an iPhone to your bumper and live stream the feed to you in the car and spend less money than buying the OEM option... How retarded is that.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #60
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Things are priced how much people are willing to pay for it. That's simply how it works -- especially when we are talking about luxury cars.
      09-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #61
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanatic2008 View Post
Driver Assistance Package would be the last option I would get (for free of course, wouldn't pay a penny for it).

People who have it probably got their cars from the lot and those usually have a bunch of useless options ordered by the dealer. Very few custom order it.
Au contrare. I ordered it myself. Love it.
      09-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #62
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

For all those complaining about how the f30 isn't a "drivers car" and it's not sporty enough and too much tech, do yourselves a favor. Stop being a pussy and buy an M.

I am selling my M6 because I want a more comfortable drive, and I want the technology. Can I drive without it? Absolutely, I've been doing it for a while in BMW's top sports car and never hit anything I wasn't supposed to. But it gets really old trying to maneuver through a highly congested city, with no parking, and the worst traffic in the country. Not to mention parking it in my garage with six inches to spare on the front and rear of the car.

So either buy an M, or suck it up with your f30 and quit your whining. It's a sports "sedan", not a sports car.

//end rant.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #63
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
For all those complaining about how the f30 isn't a "drivers car" and it's not sporty enough and too much tech, do yourselves a favor. Stop being a pussy and buy an M.

I am selling my M6 because I want a more comfortable drive, and I want the technology. Can I drive without it? Absolutely, I've been doing it for a while in BMW's top sports car and never hit anything I wasn't supposed to. But it gets really old trying to maneuver through a highly congested city, with no parking, and the worst traffic in the country. Not to mention parking it in my garage with six inches to spare on the front and rear of the car.

So either buy an M, or suck it up with your f30 and quit your whining. It's a sports "sedan", not a sports car.

Wow. Where the hell can you drive in Hawaii in an ///M. Unless on The Big Island.
//end rant.
Wow. Where the hell can you drive in Hawaii in an ///M. Unless on The Big Island.
      09-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #64
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
It's not easy, I'm on Oahu. But it can be done. You definitely can't max out the speedo, although I'm "sure" you could break 160mph if you really wanted to.

Hence why I bought an f30.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #65
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

I like ZDA and ZDB. I use every feature regularly save for the Lane Departure Warning.

On the MY14s, there is a front collision warning system as part of the package that is very handy. It warns you of an impending collision and will pre-pressurize the hydraulic brake system to give you immediate bite and deceleration when you apply the brakes under such a situation. It takes only a second of fiddling with the radio or looking down at your coffee and someone jamming on their brakes in front of you to make this system effective. The preparation of the braking system is very noticable. I for one love it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #66
Kaxon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayman S (981)

I didn't actually want driver assistance, but I did want top and side view cameras to avoid scraping the curb. And sadly ZDA is required for the option I actually wanted, 5DL, so I ordered it.
Appreciate 0