F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Third (and final!) G3 clay mitt thread from me!
Studio RSR

06-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #23
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6times7 View Post
Are these mitts safe to use on glass?

I can feel lumps and bumps on my windscreen that I can feel the mitt lifting off the bodywork, I'm just a bit concerned about the mitt leaving marks that you would notice when looking through the windscreen.
Yup! The very first time I used the mitt was on the glass....no problems......unlike flying bloody debris.....viz. the "It had to happen didn't it " thread I posted earlier!!!
Appreciate 1
6times7137.00
      06-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #24
6times7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Yup! The very first time I used the mitt was on the glass....no problems......unlike flying bloody debris.....viz. the "It had to happen didn't it " thread I posted earlier!!!
I should probably have guessed - the force is strong with this mitt!

Gutted for your screen, was wondering oif one of those repair kits could do the trick - until I saw the photo
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #25
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6times7 View Post
I should probably have guessed - the force is strong with this mitt!

Gutted for your screen, was wondering oif one of those repair kits could do the trick - until I saw the photo
I know a repair kit ain't going to hack it! That really weird looking crescent moon shaped crack is five bloody centimetres long! Haven't a clue what it was that hit it, traffic was pretty heavy at the time so could have been anything really from just about anywhere. Only up side is it wasn't a chunk out of the bonnet and my recently re-painted front bumper (from about 6 months ago) escaped unscathed too.............I'm holding a piece of timber whilst I'm saying this!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #26
smithers330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by J60nyn View Post
looks fantastic but it needs some protection now after the polish. autoglym HD wax would be perfect if you want to stick with one brand.
Ah ok. Is that something you spray on and wipe off? If so I have something similar. Can't think of the brand now without going out to the garage in the rain, but you apply it after washing and the water barrier it creates is awesome.

Cheers for the tip man
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #27
J60nyn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw f31 335d xdrive m sport

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithers330d
Quote:
Originally Posted by J60nyn View Post
looks fantastic but it needs some protection now after the polish. autoglym HD wax would be perfect if you want to stick with one brand.
Ah ok. Is that something you spray on and wipe off? If so I have something similar. Can't think of the brand now without going out to the garage in the rain, but you apply it after washing and the water barrier it creates is awesome.

Cheers for the tip man
let me know what its called and i can tell you.
it sounds like a QD or quick detailer.
HD wax is simply that a pot of wax. the wax protects the paint.

when you clay and polish you strip off any protection that has been previously applied leaving your paint exposed to acid in rain bird poop that will etch into the paint and UV from the sun that can fade it.
super resin polish is just a polish with some fillers in it. it will buff the paint to a great shine and the fillers will fill the faint scratchs in the paint. but it provides no protection. wax is the easiest way to restore the protection. there are literally hundreds of different products that you apply after a polish to protect it. wax, sealant, ceramic protection, nano sealers etc.
its a mine field.
the basics are
wash
decontaminate (clay )
polish
seal (wax or sealant)

then use a QD spary after a was to really show off the shine.
Appreciate 0