F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > M Performance Power Kit Details
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #397
verbs
Captain
46
Rep
666
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form View Post
And when the motor blows and its not covered under warranty? Worth that $500? BTW PPK is not going to be anywhere near 2k. Lot closer to 1k.
By the time you're out the door I bet it's a lot closer to $1500.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #398
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
154
Rep
629
Posts

Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Richmond BC

iTrader: (0)

Still pretty cheap power! I budgeted for a tune when I bought the car. Would of been happy to have paid $2k more for the power from the outset.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:48 AM   #399
rallybull
Major
rallybull's Avatar
United_States
121
Rep
1,025
Posts

Drives: F30 335i w/PPK
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Msport only?? Fcuk BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #400
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
44
Rep
1,543
Posts

Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas View Post
Extra Extra! This just in:

•M-Sport is required to install the PPK

•Only the M Sport gets additional cooling features from the factory (larger radiator fan/relay, auxiliary water/oil coolers). None of the other lines receive these required cooling features.

•The (under rated) HP and torque gains are the same as the Power Kit on the E9x. Bulletin to announce the Power Kit availability will hopefully go out by the end of the month!


With the PPK, Exhaust, M-Performance Suspension and brakes, we are able to create our own unofficial M335i.
Good info.
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+) - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #401
SwnSng
Second Lieutenant
21
Rep
245
Posts

Drives: 335i MSport - 6MT - GS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fullerton, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form
And when the motor blows and its not covered under warranty? Worth that $500? BTW PPK is not going to be anywhere near 2k. Lot closer to 1k.
What does paying 500 dollars have to do with not being under warranty? Even if it was an outside vendor, til this day I have not heard of anyone blowing up their engines from using procede, bms, or Cobb etc.

My point is 100 bucks per horsepower is overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #402
SwnSng
Second Lieutenant
21
Rep
245
Posts

Drives: 335i MSport - 6MT - GS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fullerton, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form
And when the motor blows and its not covered under warranty? Worth that $500? BTW PPK is not going to be anywhere near 2k. Lot closer to 1k.
Wishful thinking about 1k. If they are
Including all those internal cosmetics and the tune...2k sounds inline of how they are pricing. They want 500 bucks for a rear plastic diffuser for Pete's sake. M performance in my mind is just another way BMW can gouge people. These cars should come performing this way don't be fooled that any of these mods will suddenly transform your car into a M car.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #403
Ed335xi m
Private
4
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2011bmw x6 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (1)

It's not going to be an M car but if you add the upgrade power, brakes & suspension it's a lot closer to an M car for roughly $7k less!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #404
roundel335
Major General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
903
Rep
5,783
Posts

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 16 228i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Another advantage of the BMW PPK will be resale value - you'll get something for having it on your car. Dealer didn't really even acknowledge I had Dinan S3, exhaust, intake, bigger oil cooler and intercooler in their trade-in offer for my 07 E92. But this package will be OEM equipment and will have SOME value. Fortunately, I found an appreciative buyer for my E92, but that isn't always the case.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK/JB+, 2016 228i M-Sport Cabrio 8AT
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #405
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
shivaswrath's Avatar
United_States
590
Rep
4,315
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas View Post
Extra Extra! This just in:

•M-Sport is required to install the PPK

•Only the M Sport gets additional cooling features from the factory (larger radiator fan/relay, auxiliary water/oil coolers). None of the other lines receive these required cooling features.

•The (under rated) HP and torque gains are the same as the Power Kit on the E9x. Bulletin to announce the Power Kit availability will hopefully go out by the end of the month!


With the PPK, Exhaust, M-Performance Suspension and brakes, we are able to create our own unofficial M335i.
I guess that would explain the delay...and also drive sales to Dinan for all the non Sport lines.
__________________
CURRENT: 2017 RS3 (miss you guys)
SOLD: 2012 335i Mineral Gray

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #406
DarkTrigger
Professional
DarkTrigger's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
977
Posts

Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I'll be a buyer at anything below $1500 OTD. What were the expected gains? Anyone on the e90 forums do a dyno with PPK? I couldn't find anything...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #407
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
44
Rep
1,543
Posts

Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
I'll be a buyer at anything below $1500 OTD. What were the expected gains? Anyone on the e90 forums do a dyno with PPK? I couldn't find anything...
I think <$1,500 OTD is definitely going to be the price. I saw that the ppk on the e90 was 20hp/20tq about? But again, some people say that was highly underrated. In any aspect, I just want to know if tunes can be stacked (Although unlikely).
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+) - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #408
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
99
Rep
2,004
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
I think <$1,500 OTD is definitely going to be the price. I saw that the ppk on the e90 was 20hp/20tq about? But again, some people say that was highly underrated. In any aspect, I just want to know if tunes can be stacked (Although unlikely).
I can almost without a doubt say stacking will not give you any benefit. (I'm assuming you mean stacking the ppk and the jb4).

They both turn up the boost, simply put. The jb4 will probably be slightly more aggressive. There is only so much you can get out of the engine by tune and you can get that out of a single one.

There are some benefits of stacking tunes for transmissions and maybe meth or something else for hardware related mods, but as for as pure power without any mods buying the ppk and putting another mod on it is most likely a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #409
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
44
Rep
1,543
Posts

Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
I can almost without a doubt say stacking will not give you any benefit. (I'm assuming you mean stacking the ppk and the jb4).

They both turn up the boost, simply put. The jb4 will probably be slightly more aggressive. There is only so much you can get out of the engine by tune and you can get that out of a single one.

There are some benefits of stacking tunes for transmissions and maybe meth or something else for hardware related mods, but as for as pure power without any mods buying the ppk and putting another mod on it is most likely a waste of money.
I don't want to stack ppk w/ jb4. I want ppk for now then get cobb and have them tune around ppk or something.
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+) - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #410
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
154
Rep
629
Posts

Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Richmond BC

iTrader: (0)

I suspect that if you put a cobb tune on top of the ppk it would be the same as doing a cobb tune on the engine as it comes from the manufacturer. You would just be overwriting software. No advantage to be gained. Pick a tune and then go with it.

For myself, I am looking at either the ppk or the Dinan tube when it is available. If the ppk which is an OEM offering gives enough added go - well - that will be the one for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #411
rocko911
New Member
Bahrain
2
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sports line
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bahrain

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas View Post
Extra Extra! This just in:

•M-Sport is required to install the PPK

•Only the M Sport gets additional cooling features from the factory (larger radiator fan/relay, auxiliary water/oil coolers). None of the other lines receive these required cooling features.

•The (under rated) HP and torque gains are the same as the Power Kit on the E9x. Bulletin to announce the Power Kit availability will hopefully go out by the end of the month!


With the PPK, Exhaust, M-Performance Suspension and brakes, we are able to create our own unofficial M335i.
This sucks even more for those of us who are driving the sportline
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #412
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
99
Rep
2,004
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
I don't want to stack ppk w/ jb4. I want ppk for now then get cobb and have them tune around ppk or something.
As far as I know Cobb is a reflash, so it will basically erase the parameters that the ppk changed. That's why you normally have the ability to flash back to whatever you had previously before you bring it in for warranty work.

You won't see any gains stacking those as Cobb will write over with it's own settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #413
nsquared
[Versatile]
nsquared's Avatar
44
Rep
1,543
Posts

Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I suspect that if you put a cobb tune on top of the ppk it would be the same as doing a cobb tune on the engine as it comes from the manufacturer. You would just be overwriting software. No advantage to be gained. Pick a tune and then go with it.

For myself, I am looking at either the ppk or the Dinan tube when it is available. If the ppk which is an OEM offering gives enough added go - well - that will be the one for me.
Well, what I am wondering is w/ protune, can cobb program around ppk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
As far as I know Cobb is a reflash, so it will basically erase the parameters that the ppk changed. That's why you normally have the ability to flash back to whatever you had previously before you bring it in for warranty work.

You won't see any gains stacking those as Cobb will write over with it's own settings.
I know they are both flashes but I believe I need the new DME, thus maybe a cobb protune flash can work w/ the ppk similar to how the AP works w/ the 335iS factory software.
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+) - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #414
roundel335
Major General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
903
Rep
5,783
Posts

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 16 228i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
As far as I know Cobb is a reflash, so it will basically erase the parameters that the ppk changed. That's why you normally have the ability to flash back to whatever you had previously before you bring it in for warranty work.

You won't see any gains stacking those as Cobb will write over with it's own settings.
Cobb is not a complete reflash - it only replaces some of the tables and such. PPK will be a full reflash over top of stock BMW DME flash. PPK will then become the "base" software, or so I've read and heard.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK/JB+, 2016 228i M-Sport Cabrio 8AT
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #415
roundel335
Major General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
903
Rep
5,783
Posts

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 16 228i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Price-wise, I also hope it's < $1500, but then I will get a 20% BMW CCA discount on parts and labor from my dealership. So even at an MSRP of $1500, it will be no more than $1200 plus whatever the installation costs less my 20%.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK/JB+, 2016 228i M-Sport Cabrio 8AT
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #416
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
269
Posts

Drives: vroom
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
By the time you're out the door I bet it's a lot closer to $1500.

will depend a bit on MFGR date. Cars made before 12/2012 require a new ECU. That will add about an extra 1.5 hours of labor (according to BMW NA retrofit guide for the PPK)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #417
The Economist
Private
13
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i "M-Sport" MPPK MPE
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

For what it's worth, my sales guy noted that they "have the parts" at the dealership but are "awaiting the coding" and that they should be ready to install "by the end of the month" - the probability that this is bullshit is probably 50%, by my humble estimation, but it's the best info I have as of today. No word on price or any other specifications.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #418
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
AWF30MSPORT's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwnSng View Post
Wishful thinking about 1k. If they are
Including all those internal cosmetics and the tune...2k sounds inline of how they are pricing. They want 500 bucks for a rear plastic diffuser for Pete's sake. M performance in my mind is just another way BMW can gouge people. These cars should come performing this way don't be fooled that any of these mods will suddenly transform your car into a M car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
I'll be a buyer at anything below $1500 OTD. What were the expected gains? Anyone on the e90 forums do a dyno with PPK? I couldn't find anything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
I think <$1,500 OTD is definitely going to be the price. I saw that the ppk on the e90 was 20hp/20tq about? But again, some people say that was highly underrated. In any aspect, I just want to know if tunes can be stacked (Although unlikely).
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Price-wise, I also hope it's < $1500, but then I will get a 20% BMW CCA discount on parts and labor from my dealership. So even at an MSRP of $1500, it will be no more than $1200 plus whatever the installation costs less my 20%.
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas

Here is the real info on PPK:

The MSRP will be $1,100 for cars produced from 11/12 and $1,250 for cars produced before 11/12 (price is higher because the earlier cars require a new DME - which comes in the kit).

The Power Kit will include:

•A new engine cover with the M Performance logo.
•A new air box to maximize engine intake air volume.
•A plaque for the engine compartment.
•An M Performance appliqué for the rocker panel.

Expected release is beginning of April.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST