F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > iPhone 5 Compatibility
proTUNING Freaks

10-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

iPhone 5 Compatibility

After having my phone for a while now I decided to give the apps a go in the car and so plugged the phone into the usb port in the armrest.

After a while of waiting a message came up saying something about the device that was connected not being supported. Is this just the app waiting to be updated for compatibility or something else? I didn't have much time to mess around trying to get it to work so I may just be missing something altogether.

On a separate note, I enquired about the new cradle and had this back from my dealer:

“Accessories for the Apple iPhone 5- compatibility issue

The following information concerns all Dealer staff.

We have received some important information from BMW AG regarding the iPhone 5 and the availability of approved accessories.

With the introduction of the new iPhone 5 and its new 8 pin lightning connector, Apple have launched numerous technical changes causing new challenges for BMW. The 8 pin lightning connector which replaces the previous 30 pin docking connector is one challenge along with the removal of the 'iPod-out’ function, and changes to the audio and video output from an analogue to a digital signal.

These changes have resulted in the current Apple accessory products BMW offer becoming non-compatible with the new iPhone 5. This includes the snap-in adaptors and the Y-leads. BMW have already requested the technical information on the iPhone 5 and the new connector from Apple to start the development work needed. Apple has confirmed that full information and the new 8 pin connector will not be available to the world market until at least November 2012. The availability of the information and connector will restrict the initial development start date and in turn have an impact on how quickly BMW can produce a solution to these problems.

We do not expect to see new accessory products for the iPhone 5 until Q4 2013. As soon as we have more information we will release this via the ASD newsletter.”

Looks like it may be a longer wait for the new accessories to arrive
      10-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

This is quite old news dude Weeks before the iPhone 5 was launched it was reported on this forum that it was entirely incompatible with the cradle and the new "lightning" (USB2! ) connector had ruined the entire Universe. Or something

Anyh00 - I didn't buy one and bought a second 4S instead
      10-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
This is quite old news dude Weeks before the iPhone 5 was launched it was reported on this forum that it was entirely incompatible with the cradle and the new "lightning" (USB2! ) connector had ruined the entire Universe. Or something

Anyh00 - I didn't buy one and bought a second 4S instead
I thought that was the case but must admit I missed a few days and by then it had moved on to doom and gloom so gave up. I was half expecting a 6 month wait for the new cradle which was perhaps optimistic as the whole thing had changed.

I'm not bothered about the cradle, I'll put up with the Bluetooth capability for now. On the bright side, it looks like my Christmas present for 2013 is sorted!

If I could just get the apps to work via the cable though I reckon I'd even forego the cradle completely
      10-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
BMW being way behind the times with the accessories is about par for the course - was the same with the 3G/GS and the 4/4S.

Is it the BMW 'Connected' app that needs a cable?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

You need mobile application preparation and USB telephone audio, I believe - neither of which is standard or part of any NAV package. I had to add MAP to my build manually and it added UTP automatically.

I think. Been a while now
      10-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #6
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
BMW being way behind the times with the accessories is about par for the course - was the same with the 3G/GS and the 4/4S.

Is it the BMW 'Connected' app that needs a cable?
Yes, the 'Connected' app is the one that needs the cable or the cradle to fully integrate. Or in my case it doesn't seem to integrate at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
You need mobile application preparation and USB telephone audio, I believe - neither of which is standard or part of any NAV package. I had to add MAP to my build manually and it added UTP automatically.

I think. Been a while now
My hazy memory tells me the same thing. You need to add on the Mobile Application Preparation option which then adds on the additional USB. Originally I added it as it sounded such a funny name for an option that it had to be worth having
      10-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #7
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Isnt' your problem partly due to the lack of "iPod out" on the iFail5? I'm pretty sure that BMW and Mini are one of the only companies to have truly developed a system around iPod out (hence why Apple felt OK to drop it) and so the iPhone 5 won't work "fully" with BMWs and Minis? Again, I've binned all my memories of this so it's not entirely clear but there's tonnes of topics about it in the "Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone" Forum

I just remembering having an iPhone 5 64GB on pre-order to replace my 16GB 4S and then finding out it wasn't viable with the F30 so I cancelled my order and got a 64GB 4S of Fleebay, brand new, for £300
      10-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I reckon you're right. If I'm entirely honest I didn't look into it fully and just got the iPhone 5 without properly researching the thing properly. I had a quick search on here but ended up more confused than I started

Looks like I'll be waiting for the update to come along no doubt just in time for the next iPhone to come along
      10-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

You can do nearly everything over the Bluetooth connection thankfully You'll just be missing the true "iPod-like" control of Muzak and a few other things.

Check out the threads in the tech forum, there's lots of good info inthere. Be warned though, there's also more nob-head Americans bashing their chests but if you can read around that, you'll be fine
      10-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Yeah the salesman undersold the Mobile Application Preparation and said it was purely so you could Facebook & Twitter from your car or stream internet radio, neither of which I fancied. Didn't find out about the iPod interface and the BMW 'Connected' app until it was too late Then I subsequently found that the Mobile Apps £130 factory option is a rather scary £600 as a retrofit

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Dealers' knowledge of options is frankly appalling, especially when it comes to the tech apps
      10-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I haven't spec'ced this....

......what is it and what will it do for me?

Like you Rob I don't Twitbook in the car or fancy streaming radio.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
As I understand it, the big thing with Mobile Application Preparation is integration with the iPhone BMW 'Connected' app which is supposed to give you:
  • ECO PRO driving style analyser (requires the 'new' Pro nav unit).
  • Wiki local search - what's nearby.
  • News/RSS feed reader.
  • Stream internet radio through the car (uses your phone's data plan?).
  • Calendar on your phone can be displayed/read in the car.
  • Twitter/Facebook posts are read out to you, plus I think the car can be set to automatically send its location.
  • Last mile navigation - if you have to complete your journey on foot that could be handy.
  • Vehicle finder (although the BMW Remote app can do that too).
  • Enhanced iDrive interface when playing music from a supported iOS device.

The £600 retrofit price is from a 3rd party, and as I'd only be interested in the calendar and navigation bits, that's a bit steep for something that's a £130 option. I've yet to find out from my local dealer what it is though... although while BMW say it's available as a retrofit, dealer will probably shrug their shoulders

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Even if they won't get the info they need from Apple until next month it shouldn't take a year to make a simple cradle?!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
As I understand it, the big thing with Mobile Application Preparation is integration with the iPhone BMW 'Connected' app which is supposed to give you:
  • ECO PRO driving style analyser (requires the 'new' Pro nav unit).
  • Wiki local search - what's nearby.
  • News/RSS feed reader.
  • Stream internet radio through the car (uses your phone's data plan?).
  • Calendar on your phone can be displayed/read in the car.
  • Twitter/Facebook posts are read out to you, plus I think the car can be set to automatically send its location.
  • Last mile navigation - if you have to complete your journey on foot that could be handy.
  • Vehicle finder (although the BMW Remote app can do that too).
  • Enhanced iDrive interface when playing music from a supported iOS device.

The £600 retrofit price is from a 3rd party, and as I'd only be interested in the calendar and navigation bits, that's a bit steep for something that's a £130 option. I've yet to find out from my local dealer what it is though... although while BMW say it's available as a retrofit, dealer will probably shrug their shoulders
Cheers Rob, will see if I can add it
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #16
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
Even if they won't get the info they need from Apple until next month it shouldn't take a year to make a simple cradle?!
If you knew the Automotive industry, you would understand that a year is quite a quick reaction to making an new accessory.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
If you knew the Automotive industry, you would understand that a year is quite a quick reaction to making an new accessory.
Not quick enough when they use "BMW Apps" and the SDK as a unique selling point. People buying these add-ons are the ones interested in the latest tech and gadgets and BMW (should) know that these people won't be using yesterdays technology.

I understand that something that has to do with the car itself takes time to develop, test and release. But we are talking about a cradle that needs a new connector here.

I also understand that I simplify the matter a lot now since there is a lot of electronics involved in a car these days and everything needs to work. But this makes the BMW Apps + SDK useless for millions of people.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
bimmerswede
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 -09

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
If I could just get the apps to work via the cable though I reckon I'd even forego the cradle completely
I'm using iPhone 5 with cable and the apps are working. Can't say I've made any settings to make it work, but please tell if you want me to check anything.

I'm using version 1.8.0 (rel1225)
      10-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #19
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerswede View Post
I'm using iPhone 5 with cable and the apps are working. Can't say I've made any settings to make it work, but please tell if you want me to check anything.

I'm using version 1.8.0 (rel1225)
Thanks, I downloaded a guide to the Connected app to try and make sense of it and I think all I got from it was to plug the cable into the phone

The thing is I did get it to work once but then can't figure out what I did that time. I must be honest though, I haven't really tried too many times.

If you could send me a check-list of what steps you go through I'll give it a go

Nice colour car by the way
      10-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
bimmerswede
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 -09

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
Thanks, I downloaded a guide to the Connected app to try and make sense of it and I think all I got from it was to plug the cable into the phone

The thing is I did get it to work once but then can't figure out what I did that time. I must be honest though, I haven't really tried too many times.

If you could send me a check-list of what steps you go through I'll give it a go

Nice colour car by the way
Thanks! The color is nice, would love to have your individual interior though!

I tried apps with cable earlier today, and here are the steps I followed:

1. Get in the car

2. Yell ACHTUNG loudly for 3-5 seconds (this is optional)

3. Plug in the USB cable from the armrest to the iPhone 5

3. Start the BMW Connected App in the iPhone

4. Go to ConnectedDrive from the iDrive main menu

5. A category "Apps" should show up

If it doesn't work, turn off and on the iphone and car and try again.

I don't use the apps much since most features works with BT and without cable, but hopefully the Connected app will be continuously developed and more useful as time goes.
      10-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #21
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Lol yeah. The larger the company the bigger and slower are the gears of change... And the harder they are to get in motion!
      10-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #22
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! The color is nice, would love to have your individual interior though!

I tried apps with cable earlier today, and here are the steps I followed:

1. Get in the car

2. Yell ACHTUNG loudly for 3-5 seconds (this is optional)

3. Plug in the USB cable from the armrest to the iPhone 5

3. Start the BMW Connected App in the iPhone

4. Go to ConnectedDrive from the iDrive main menu

5. A category "Apps" should show up

If it doesn't work, turn off and on the iphone and car and try again.
I think this may have worked. I think I had been starting the ignition first and then plugging the phone in whereas by following this and plugging the phone in before starting the ignition it has done the trick. Thanks

Although, I think step 2 is probably the real reason why it's suddenly started working really!

Quote:
I don't use the apps much since most features works with BT and without cable, but hopefully the Connected app will be continuously developed and more useful as time goes.
I don't use the apps much as the BT connection does seem to do everything for you and I'm too forgetful when it comes to plugging it all up. I normally just get in and go. I can see there is a great deal of potential in there though.