F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Creator C110 Odd Trouble Codes
proTUNING Freaks

09-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
zerofire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sportline

Question Creator C110 Odd Trouble Codes

Hey there everyone, thanks for taking a moment in looking into this issue with me.

Check engine light comes on and turns off randomly, haven't taken it to the dealer cause I'd rather try and figure out the issue myself but my Creator c110 bmw/mini scanner is throwing back some odd codes at me and I'm having the BIGGEST trouble of my life trying to figure out what these codes mean.

CAS - Car Access System
03, 4F, 80, 40 no found!
03, 10, 07, 79 no found!
03, 4F, 80, 40 no found!

DME - Digital Motor Electronics
0B, 1D, 24, 04 no found!
0B, 13, 8A, 11 no found!

I used the search button up top and searched for "c110" to see if anyone else had similar problems like me but I didn't find anything related to my issue. If there is another thread I will gladly look into if someone can point me in the right direction but as of right now, I'm at a serious loss as to what in the world these codes mean.

ANY and ALL opinions are appreciated. Constructive or not. Need to figure out why this check engine light keeps popping up.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofire View Post
Hey there everyone, thanks for taking a moment in looking into this issue with me.

Check engine light comes on and turns off randomly, haven't taken it to the dealer cause I'd rather try and figure out the issue myself but my Creator c110 bmw/mini scanner is throwing back some odd codes at me and I'm having the BIGGEST trouble of my life trying to figure out what these codes mean.

CAS - Car Access System
03, 4F, 80, 40 no found!
03, 10, 07, 79 no found!
03, 4F, 80, 40 no found!

DME - Digital Motor Electronics
0B, 1D, 24, 04 no found!
0B, 13, 8A, 11 no found!

I used the search button up top and searched for "c110" to see if anyone else had similar problems like me but I didn't find anything related to my issue. If there is another thread I will gladly look into if someone can point me in the right direction but as of right now, I'm at a serious loss as to what in the world these codes mean.

ANY and ALL opinions are appreciated. Constructive or not. Need to figure out why this check engine light keeps popping up.
Those don't seem to be Fault Codes that can be found in ISTAD.

They look odd to me as well. I'm not sure how it is with the 1 Series, but for the F30, the fault codes are typical 6 digits alphanumeric.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
zerofire
Enlisted Member
Rep

What is ISTAD?

Would it be possible to run the codes by removing the first 2 digit denominators?

The CAS codes all seem to start with "03" so maybe:
4F, 80, 40
10, 07, 79

DME
1D, 24, 04
13, 8A, 11

Please let me know when you can. VERY much appreciated and I can even begin to thank you enough for even trying to search those odd codes in the first place.

My c110 is currently at version 4.4 and it says its good up to 2014 series models (mine is a 2012).
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What is ISTAD?

Would it be possible to run the codes by removing the first 2 digit denominators?

The CAS codes all seem to start with "03" so maybe:
4F, 80, 40
10, 07, 79

DME
1D, 24, 04
13, 8A, 11

Please let me know when you can. VERY much appreciated and I can even begin to thank you enough for even trying to search those odd codes in the first place.

My c110 is currently at version 4.4 and it says its good up to 2014 series models (mine is a 2012).
ISTAD is the BMW factory diagnostic system.

Those codes for the CAS didn't come up, however the DME did.

Attached PDFs for it. There are a lot of variations for the 1D2404 but most seem to say "replace map thermostat" or "replace characteristic map thermostat".
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1D2404 line disconnection.pdf (39.3 KB, 494 views)
File Type: pdf 1D2404 open circuit.pdf (39.1 KB, 311 views)
File Type: pdf 138A11.pdf (39.1 KB, 225 views)
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #5
zerofire
Enlisted Member
Rep

Awesome!

I can't thank you enough for getting back to me again with this information. So if the thermostat needs to be replaced, would or is this something that is normally done at 72k miles?

I ask because I was in a recent accident (not but a month ago) that caused damage to the radiator and they had to replace some things and I'm wondering if the accident has caused the damage to the thermostat. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. If I have to take this freakin car BACK to the damn shop that was supposed to "fix" it in the first place I will. This would be the THIRD damn time >

$7,000 worth of damages to the car and I swear to god there is more problems with it now than before the accident.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
zerofire
Enlisted Member
Rep

I apologize for bringing back up this thread but my check engine light is still on and I'm still trying to figure out what these codes are.

Is there a list of diagnostic trouble codes for F30 series anywhere? (328i specifically)

I used my creator c110 to clear the previous codes but the light came back on and is staying on this time (last time it was intermittent).

DME:
0B,13,81,02
0B,1D,24,04

As before, if anyone reading this could run these and get back to me with:

1D,24,04

would be very much appreciated. I'm starting to wonder if I wasted money on this BMW scan tool because even though it can read the DME and give me back diagnostic trouble codes, I CANNOT for the life of me figure out what these codes are.

Thanks again in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 05:57 AM   #7
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Awesome!

I can't thank you enough for getting back to me again with this information. So if the thermostat needs to be replaced, would or is this something that is normally done at 72k miles?

I ask because I was in a recent accident (not but a month ago) that caused damage to the radiator and they had to replace some things and I'm wondering if the accident has caused the damage to the thermostat. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. If I have to take this freakin car BACK to the damn shop that was supposed to "fix" it in the first place I will. This would be the THIRD damn time >

$7,000 worth of damages to the car and I swear to god there is more problems with it now than before the accident.
I can't say for sure. What did the shop say about the thermostat?

Quote:
I apologize for bringing back up this thread but my check engine light is still on and I'm still trying to figure out what these codes are.

Is there a list of diagnostic trouble codes for F30 series anywhere? (328i specifically)

I used my creator c110 to clear the previous codes but the light came back on and is staying on this time (last time it was intermittent).

DME:
0B,13,81,02
0B,1D,24,04

As before, if anyone reading this could run these and get back to me with:

1D,24,04

would be very much appreciated. I'm starting to wonder if I wasted money on this BMW scan tool because even though it can read the DME and give me back diagnostic trouble codes, I CANNOT for the life of me figure out what these codes are.

Thanks again in advance!
Attached the PDF for the bolded fault code.

It says Exhaust flap activation. Sounds electrical.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 138102 Exhaust flap activation.pdf (38.4 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by Polo08816; 10-06-2016 at 06:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
zerofire
Enlisted Member
Rep

Honestly I didn't take it back to the shop as the code comes up and disappears whenever the hell it wants. I tried clearing all codes and then it just pops back up and disappears again.

As for the exhaust flap, I may just remove the damn thing and put a performance muffler on there of some sort. Rather just not deal with the thing's non-sense in the first place (not sure why it isn't pressure actuated in the first place and instead electronically controlled).

I'm going to rummage around the engine bay and disconnect and reconnect any sensors I see that go anywhere near the water pump or thermostat.

I read online that the water pump is supposed to have fluid in/running through it at all times, otherwise it could cause a malfunction? I can't recall where I read it but I believe it was the n20 technical documents. Since this was just a body shop and not a BMW dealership who did the repairs, I fear they didn't follow ANY kind of procedures when repairing the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #9
zerofire
Enlisted Member
Rep

Still have the check engine light on, same codes, new question.

If the water pump is failing, not failed, would the car overheat? Just yellow check engine light only. The car's temperature pretty much stays dead solid at the 1/4 temperature mark (between 160-250 mark). Not sure what's going on with it still, going to check into all connections & sensors when I do some maintenance here over the weekend, contingent that all my parts show up on time.

I've been reading threads where people say that the water pump is notorious for failing, however, all of these people had their car overheat with red warning lamps.

The car still drives fine. BARELY even gets to the first line after the 1/4 mark after dogging the shit out of the car. Pretty much immediately / well under 5 min goes back to the first line - 1/4 mark when I go back to driving normal.

Since it's turbocharged, I don't just turn the car off when I park. I wait till it cools down to under the 1/4 mark cause I don't have a turbo timer. Sitting in back to back traffic the car has no issues staying cool either, so I honestly don't feel that the water pump is failing. Would anyone be able to provide me with some documentation that shows where the water pump's sensors / connections are?

Any & all constructive thoughts are very much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 05:30 AM   #10
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Still have the check engine light on, same codes, new question.

If the water pump is failing, not failed, would the car overheat? Just yellow check engine light only. The car's temperature pretty much stays dead solid at the 1/4 temperature mark (between 160-250 mark). Not sure what's going on with it still, going to check into all connections & sensors when I do some maintenance here over the weekend, contingent that all my parts show up on time.

I've been reading threads where people say that the water pump is notorious for failing, however, all of these people had their car overheat with red warning lamps.

The car still drives fine. BARELY even gets to the first line after the 1/4 mark after dogging the shit out of the car. Pretty much immediately / well under 5 min goes back to the first line - 1/4 mark when I go back to driving normal.

Since it's turbocharged, I don't just turn the car off when I park. I wait till it cools down to under the 1/4 mark cause I don't have a turbo timer. Sitting in back to back traffic the car has no issues staying cool either, so I honestly don't feel that the water pump is failing. Would anyone be able to provide me with some documentation that shows where the water pump's sensors / connections are?

Any & all constructive thoughts are very much appreciated.
Sounds like a stuck thermostat? Being at the 1/4th mark is unusually low. I'm only at 1/4 if I set the car to Sport or Sport+ mode, but I have an M Sport.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
zerofire
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hmm... Would you be able to work some magic and provide me with some documentation on how to replace the thermostat? Even at Sport+ and dogging the shit out of it (mine is a sportline model, not m sport) it barely gets to over a 1/4.
Appreciate 0