F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan or H&R
GetBMWParts

05-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
TPA335
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport 6MT

Dinan or H&R

I'm looking to slightly lower my '14 non-DHP 335i and I see that the most popular spring is the H&R, but the Dinan claims that its okay to use with the factory dampners. My question is are there people running the Dinan springs on non-DHP cars that are happy with the overall result of this modification? The Dinan website states a drop of 20mm but I don't know if that will settle even lower. Just by looking at pictures, it seems that both the Dinan and H&R provide nearly the drop from an asthetics aspect. I would like to track the caronce in a while (an by once in a while I mean once or twice a year if I'm lucky) but my main priority is drivability on the street and the occassional rip through back roads. Lastly, how difficult is the install? I've tried searching but haven't come across any DIY's on this.

Thanks in advance
      05-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Revms1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I'm waiting on my springs to arrive by Friday and having them installed next tuesday. Based on my conversations with the Dinan rep for NY, they state that handling and nose dive is dramatically reduced on non dhp suspensions. So I took the plunge and are awaiting the springs. I can review next week to see the difference from stock vs Dinan springs

Last edited by Revms1; 05-19-2014 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
oscie4me143
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 M340i, 04 E46 M3

ive had both the H&R sport lowering springs and dinan. I switched from H&R to dinan because every little bump I had with the H&R it felt like my car was going to fall apart. Dinan does not drop as low as the H&R but still looks good and you dont have to sacrifice as much comfort compared to the H&R. hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
TPA335
Private
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks as though the Dinan springs will work best for me as I'm not looking to go too low.

Revms1, I look forward to your review next week. Please keep me posted.
      05-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
andrew 330i
it can never be too clean...
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport Wagon

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscie4me143 View Post
I switched from H&R to dinan because every little bump I had with the H&R it felt like my car was going to fall apart.
~ did you have the h&r sports or h&r super sport springs? thanks!

kw v1 coilover kit / 19" staggered 351 M double spoke wheels / upper strut bar /
sport line grille & exhaust tips / 50% tint / painted reflectors / debadged / complete clear bra
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
andrew 330i
Rep

Quote:
Dinan does not drop as low as the H&R but still looks good and you dont have to sacrifice as much comfort compared to the H&R.
~ any pics of your car with the dinan springs in place?

thanks!!!

kw v1 coilover kit / 19" staggered 351 M double spoke wheels / upper strut bar /
sport line grille & exhaust tips / 50% tint / painted reflectors / debadged / complete clear bra
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

I had the Dinans on a non dhp car and did not like the ride. I'm on 20s. I ended up switching to the MPS setup. Best investment yet.
      05-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:
ive had both the H&R sport lowering springs and dinan. I switched from H&R to dinan because every little bump I had with the H&R it felt like my car was going to fall apart. Dinan does not drop as low as the H&R but still looks good and you dont have to sacrifice as much comfort compared to the H&R. hope this helps
I have a totally different experience with H&R Sport Springs, but I have DHP so that's probably why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPA335 View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks as though the Dinan springs will work best for me as I'm not looking to go too low.

Revms1, I look forward to your review next week. Please keep me posted.
Keep in mind that H&R have 2 options: Sport and Race. Race is obviously lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew 330i View Post
~ did you have the h&r sports or h&r super sport springs? thanks!
By the way he said he had Sports ^

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
TPA335
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
I had the Dinans on a non dhp car and did not like the ride. I'm on 20s. I ended up switching to the MPS setup. Best investment yet.

VIP, I read your review on the Dinan but don't remember all of the specifics. Did you not like the ride because it was too stiff or too soft? Do you think it's because of the 20's? Was it an improvement over the stock M-Sport suspension? If you don't mind me asking, how much was the MPS? The price tag from the deal plus install cost scared me away from that option.
      05-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #10
andrew 330i
Rep

ok after speaking to dinan r&d... i am combining some components since very little is available for the wagon:

h&r sport springs & dinan bump stop kit

the h&r springs are designated for the 328xi wagon (part number # 28842-2)

and the dinan ‘bump stop kit’ is for a 328xi sedan (part number # D143-0013 - front $69 / # 335367627222 - rear $25.50 (each / requiring 2) - total $120)

according to dinan this will provide me with the best of both worlds considering the limited availability for m wagon... stay tuned for ride results.

cheers!

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPA335 View Post
VIP, I read your review on the Dinan but don't remember all of the specifics. Did you not like the ride because it was too stiff or too soft? Do you think it's because of the 20's? Was it an improvement over the stock M-Sport suspension? If you don't mind me asking, how much was the MPS? The price tag from the deal plus install cost scared me away from that option.
The dinan was a good setup, but i think it the shocks were too soft for the springs. I think its a better setup for DHP cars. I was also rubbing in the the front because 1) it was too low for my 20s and 2) the shocks in the front were soft (msport shocks that is).

MPS is $1555 shipped from getbmwparts.com. Install should be no more than $400. Mine was a little <$300. Took about 3 hours for the install.
      05-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
R12ax7
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 340xi

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
I installed the Dinan Springs 2 weeks ago and have had a grin on my face since. Just got my alignment done yesterday and boy has that made them even better. I cant believe how much of the body roll it eliminated. As others have said, this is how the car should have come from the factory.

As far as the install, let me preface by saying I do not have any formal mechanical background - really just started tinkering in thee last 5-10 years. I change oil, swap out my summer/winter wheels every season, and have done various cosmetic mods (blacklnes, reflectors) and installed a bunch of different BMS products over the years (JB+, OBX, JB), but it was a good thing I installed these springs at my friends house who had air tools and a lot more experience, because all of those other minor mods I have done definitely did not qualify me to install springs. That being said, it wasnt all that bad and with plenty of time to spare (and preferably air tools) I think i could do it by myself next time.

There are a couple threads on random tips and pitfalls - mostly detail things - but i followed a DIY for the e90 and that really was sufficient. The two toughest things were: (1) there is just not a whole lot of space up under the front fender to work with the spring compressors (we couldnt even get a decent ratchet wrench in let alone an impact) so you are left turning the compressor nuts with a regular old wrench, and (2) on the rear suspension assembly you have to raise the suspension assembly up in order to get this one particular bolt out which was just a little tough to figure out but easy once you understand it. The screw for the top of the strut is a little strange also and an impact gun made that a lot easier.

PM me if you want any specific details or a walk-through.

Here is the Video (from an e90) which was very helpful: http://www.f30post.com/forums/printthread.php?t=944121

Here is the thread on differences/challenges on the F30 suspension:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966817

Retired:
2018 330xi | 2016 340i 6MT | 2013 335i 6MT |
2011 328i 6MT (N52) | 2008 335xi (N54)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12ax7 View Post
I installed the Dinan Springs 2 weeks ago and have had a grin on my face since. Just got my alignment done yesterday and boy has that made them even better. I cant believe how much of the body roll it eliminated. As others have said, this is how the car should have come from the factory.

As far as the install, let me preface by saying I do not have any formal mechanical background - really just started tinkering in thee last 5-10 years. I change oil, swap out my summer/winter wheels every season, and have done various cosmetic mods (blacklnes, reflectors) and installed a bunch of different BMS products over the years (JB+, OBX, JB), but it was a good thing I installed these springs at my friends house who had air tools and a lot more experience, because all of those other minor mods I have done definitely did not qualify me to install springs. That being said, it wasnt all that bad and with plenty of time to spare (and preferably air tools) I think i could do it by myself next time.

There are a couple threads on random tips and pitfalls - mostly detail things - but i followed a DIY for the e90 and that really was sufficient. The two toughest things were: (1) there is just not a whole lot of space up under the front fender to work with the spring compressors (we couldnt even get a decent ratchet wrench in let alone an impact) so you are left turning the compressor nuts with a regular old wrench, and (2) on the rear suspension assembly you have to raise the suspension assembly up in order to get this one particular bolt out which was just a little tough to figure out but easy once you understand it. The screw for the top of the strut is a little strange also and an impact gun made that a lot easier.

Here is the Video (from an e90) which was very helpful: http://www.f30post.com/forums/printthread.php?t=944121

Dude, any pics?
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12ax7 View Post

Woah Thanks for the info !!

I am also on the same side as OP, where i want to lower my car but want the best compromise in terms of look, usability, comfort and price...

The shop owner i talk to, who has an F10 sport had his on H&R and recommended me the same.

I am considering Dinan Spring and swapping myself.
That would be most cost effective, saving on the labor, except for the Alignment.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
R12ax7
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mloyalty View Post
Dude, any pics?
Totally forgot about that. I will take some tonight or tomorrow and post them up along with a couple "before" pictures. Kinda curious to see the comparison myself. Nobody would notice the drop but it definitely looks more aggressive and purposeful. While spacers would still look good (especially on the rear) I think the stance is good enough that I will probably skip them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Woah Thanks for the info !!

I am also on the same side as OP, where i want to lower my car but want the best compromise in terms of look, usability, comfort and price...

The shop owner i talk to, who has an F10 sport had his on H&R and recommended me the same.

I am considering Dinan Spring and swapping myself.
That would be most cost effective, saving on the labor, except for the Alignment.
It really is no compromise at all (I guess technically its still a compromise of stiffness) but in comfort its still perfectly smooth unless you are on a really, really bad road - and believe me we have a lot of terrible roads here and i still have no complaints in that department.

If you have any experience at all i am sure you can do this one yourself, as i mentioned there are some annoying parts (I still havent gotten one plug back in) but i actually enjoyed getting in there.

One thing i would also consider, especially if you plan to track/autocross your car (and if you have an extra $300-$400 to spend) is to do the "OEM Swivel Bearing" or get some camber plates. DVC and Utenigma have a highly detailed thread going here (http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902335) about alignment specs. Now that I have the alignment done, i can see how the handling would benefit hugely from just a little more negative camber on the front. Either the swivel bearing or camber plates would do this and would literally add no time to the install so if it interests you, you might as well do it all at once. To summarize their thread, essentially the turn-in isnt as eager as you might like (especially in an autocross setting) and add just an extra half degree of camber apparently makes the turn-in much livelier and actually evens out tire-wear.

Retired:
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #16
driftazncy909
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

what about swift? H&R or swift?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #17
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep

2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #18
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Question Could someone here please confirm ?

Quote:
I totally agree with you.

So please find here a few from my car to incite others to do the same if not better.

Can someone here at least use my photos to indicate which bolts or screws to take out?

This is the Rear Right looking straight on:

This is the Rear Right looking from the 3/4 behind on top:

we obviously see the spring closer here:

The same Rear Right looking from on top:

The Rear Right looking down from the 3/4 front:

My guess is, swapping the spring will require to remove the two bolts indicated in red, the four in green (2 others are on the front side):

Can someone please confirm?

This is for the rear suspension. If someone could do the same for the front?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #19
R12ax7
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Disclaimer: Excuse my sometimes non-technical description of the various parts/bolts etc.

Starting with the bottom picture, the green arrows are for the pate under the suspension assembly, there are 2 i think on each side and if i remember correctly they are T-25 torx. Remove this plate first (its obviously very easy to do).

Now lets skip to your 3rd picture down where you are looking down from the top. There is a plastic piece that is attached to a control arm that kind of wraps around the strut. You can see it in this picture to the left of the strut, right below the BMW part number sticker. You can remove this bolt and move the arm entirely out of the way.

Still on the 3rd picture down, there is a bolt there you can partially see behind the dust shield. This requires someone hold the back piece of the bolt with some channel lock pliers so it doesn't spin (or you can do what we did and just use an impact).
Going back to your bottom picture with the arrows, first, I am 99% sure i did not remove the bolt with the triangular thing on it that secures a control arm (above the two white arrows), but the other two bolts are going to come out.

The white arrow FARTHER from the dust shield holds the strut in place. Take this bolt out and then you can remove the three bolts securing the strut at the top (these are the e-torx but you can also use regular sockets, i cant remember the size).

The white arrow closest to the dust shield is the long bolt that is kind of a pain in the ass to get in and out. Once you get this bolt out, you should be able to push the suspension assembly towards the ground and at that point you can really just pull the spring out and replace it with the dinan unit. I found getting this bolt back in was harder than getting it out.

For the strut, you will need to use the spark plug tool (or an impact) to get the nut at the top off to replace the bump stop.

I am trying to get a before and after pic up here but I wanted to try to get my car from the same spot/same position and right now someone is in that spot outside my office. I'll be watching for it to open up though so i can show side-by-side.

Retired:
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #20
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep

Awesome, now if we could only see what the drop looks like with Dinan springs.....
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #21
jrortiz
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Awesome, now if we could only see what the drop looks like with Dinan springs.....
+1
      05-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #22
tortoise808
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Installed the Dinan over the weekend and got it back this morning.

First impressions of driving, comfort is ok, suspension feels harder but firm, its not a significant drop in comfort compared to OEM.

Mating with the adaptive suspension seems ok, did not try sports yet as the roads are quite jammed. Did some corners close to my office and the car is more planted and roll is not evident, I'm running the M ARBs as well.

Feels that the current 36/39psi on my 20" Michelin PSS 245/275 setup might need to drop abit for better handling. Will try it out and FR.

The drop however is a bit worrying, the front has less than a finger gap and I cant negotiate a speed hump too fast.

Everything else is awesome
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
d_a_m92.50