F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan Axleback Exhaust - Burble and Pops?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Dinan Axleback Exhaust - Burble and Pops?

Hey All,

starting to narrow down my exhaust choice. The Dinan Free Flow exhaust tone is great - but I've noticed that in many videos there are no burbles and pops in the revs. The product description mentions additional burbles and pops, but I can't seem to find a video that confirms this.

Could anyone with the Dinan Free Flow Axleback only confirm whether the burbles and pops are present and/or more present than stock? If you have a video, it would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmin View Post
Hey All,

starting to narrow down my exhaust choice. The Dinan Free Flow exhaust tone is great - but I've noticed that in many videos there are no burbles and pops in the revs. The product description mentions additional burbles and pops, but I can't seem to find a video that confirms this.

Could anyone with the Dinan Free Flow Axleback only confirm whether the burbles and pops are present and/or more present than stock? If you have a video, it would be greatly appreciated
If I'm thinking of the video you're referring to correctly, then they only revved in comfort mode. The exhaust won't really increase the amount of burbles, just make them louder.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy4 View Post
If I'm thinking of the video you're referring to correctly, then they only revved in comfort mode. The exhaust won't really increase the amount of burbles, just make them louder.
Yeah I was thinking that but then I was watching several other videos and still haven’t heard and burbles and pops on revs . Have you heard it in person?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #4
flwbyu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M Sport 6MT

I have this exhaust and it does burble and pop but it's only noticeable once you get out of economy mode. Every now and then in economy mode you will hear it but not as often. I have a manual, so, this might be different with the automatic. Just my 2 cents.
      02-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

You're better off getting the Dinan midpipe (unresonated) and just leaving stock exhaust vs the axleback if this is what you are after
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #6
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb Mode View Post
You're better off getting the Dinan midpipe (unresonated) and just leaving stock exhaust vs the axleback if this is what you are after
That’s the other option I’m considering but I really love the deep tone of the muffler. If I can get the deep tone + burbles and pops then I’d probably lock it in. Also looking at the Remus axle back need to talk with my dealership to see if they’ll hassle me.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 11:06 PM   #7
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flwbyu View Post
I have this exhaust and it does burble and pop but it's only noticeable once you get out of economy mode. Every now and then in economy mode you will hear it but not as often. I have a manual, so, this might be different with the automatic. Just my 2 cents.
Awesome! Would you happen to have a video of you revving it in sport and comfort that I could take a look at?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 11:49 PM   #8
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb Mode View Post
That’s the other option I’m considering but I really love the deep tone of the muffler. If I can get the deep tone + burbles and pops then I’d probably lock it in. Also looking at the Remus axle back need to talk with my dealership to see if they’ll hassle me.
If you want deep and lots of burbles, reconsider your options and look into the full AWE system. Nice level of loud and no drone. It's by far the most aggressive exhaust for the car and surprisingly deep. The burbles and pops sound much more unique and punchier than any other exhaust for this car. Have extensive videos of it but videos do not do it justice. I will say that I had the full catback and even then it wasn't that loud with the windows up. I've heard people say that Dinan/Remus is/are quieter and tbh, I can't imagine having anything quieter than the AWE as it was already hard to hear the difference with the windows up aside from the pops.

I would look into doing either a full catback or downpipe + axleback.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #9
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you want deep and lots of burbles, reconsider your options and look into the full AWE system. Nice level of loud and no drone. It's by far the most aggressive exhaust for the car and surprisingly deep. The burbles and pops sound much more unique and punchier than any other exhaust for this car. Have extensive videos of it but videos do not do it justice. I will say that I had the full catback and even then it wasn't that loud with the windows up. I've heard people say that Dinan/Remus is/are quieter and tbh, I can't imagine having anything quieter than the AWE as it was already hard to hear the difference with the windows up aside from the pops.

The AWE sounds awesome on your car but I think the pops are a bit too much for what I'm looking for. Downpipe isn't in the stars for me since I'm in CA. I'm either going full catback now for whichever exhaust I go with or starting axle and getting the mids later if I want more.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The AWE sounds awesome on your car but I think the pops are a bit too much for what I'm looking for. Downpipe isn't in the stars for me since I'm in CA. I'm either going full catback now for whichever exhaust I go with or starting axle and getting the mids later if I want more.
Then I think you'll be happy with the Dinan exhaust

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

It does have the burble sound and you can increase by getting a flash tune

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #12
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Hey All,

I have the Dinan exhaust and mid pipe and just enough burbles and pops for me especially in Sport or Sport + mode. In comfort, the sound is more tame but still a lot better than stock.
Appreciate 2
Alarmin505.00
      02-21-2018, 09:46 PM   #13
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn1 View Post
I have the Dinan exhaust and mid pipe and just enough burbles and pops for me especially in Sport or Sport + mode. In comfort, the sound is more tame but still a lot better than stock.
Nice! What would you say is the volume increase of the Dinan Exhaust + Midpipe over stock? Still good for Daily driving?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #14
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn1 View Post
Nice! What would you say is the volume increase of the Dinan Exhaust + Midpipe over stock? Still good for Daily driving?
Any of the catbacks will be perfect for daily driving honestly, even valveless. I think you'll be disappointed by having just the axleback. None of the catbacks will drone, and the sound insolation in our cars is so good that it'll just sound slightly louder inside cabin with windows up. Only thing that takes getting used to is the cold start but it's really not that bad. Probably safe to do the axleback and then the midpipe. Stock exhaust is welded from catback so you'd have to cut it if you planned in adding a midpipe later

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #15
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Any of the catbacks will be perfect for daily driving honestly, even valveless. I think you'll be disappointed by having just the axleback. None of the catbacks will drone, and the sound insolation in our cars is so good that it'll just sound slightly louder inside cabin with windows up. Only thing that takes getting used to is the cold start but it's really not that bad. Probably safe to do the axleback and then the midpipe. Stock exhaust is welded from catback so you'd have to cut it if you planned in adding a midpipe later
Solid input man. Yeah cutting the muffler doesn't concern me too much. Need to narrow this all down, this decision making is exhausting lol
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #16
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Wassy is correct. You will be very dissapointed if you dont go full cat back... I use mine for DD and it is great. It is a tad loud at startup and then settles down quickly to a tame idle.... Then in Sport and Sport + it will growl and burp when accelerating. Also, I chose Dinan over Remus and AWE as Dinan had a deeper tone to exhaust, imo but all great options. I have not noticed any drone either.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #17
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Solid input man. Yeah cutting the muffler doesn't concern me too much. Need to narrow this all down, this decision making is exhausting lol
Doing a axelback will be underwhelming. Either go for midpipe or full catback.
wassy497.50
      02-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #18
Southern Jay
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i MSport GC

I had a Remus cat back installed on Monday. It burbles, pops, absolutely love it.
Current mods: Mperformance rear spoiler, diffuser, side vinyls and front grille, non OEM carbon mirror caps, Remus cat back exhaust, Eibach springs, TPI spacers 15mm rear and 12mm front, Maxton side blades and v2 front splitter, Pipercross direct replacement air filter, Remus Powerizer.

Current:
F36 440i M Sport GC STORMTROOPER

Previous:
F30 320d M Sport Xdrive STORMTROOPER
Appreciate 1
Alarmin505.00
      02-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #19
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post
Doing a axelback will be underwhelming. Either go for midpipe or full catback.
Yeah that seem to be the consensus I'm getting. Just curious how much louder just midpipe or the catback are over stock. I'm definitely down to be a bit louder but just don't want to be too 'in your face' about it since I open up the throttle a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #20
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Jay View Post
I had a Remus cat back installed on Monday. It burbles, pops, absolutely love it.
I think I was just watching the video you posted on it last night. Sounds great man! What's the volume increase like on comfort mode over stock?
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #21
Southern Jay
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i MSport GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Jay View Post
I think I was just watching the video you posted on it last night. Sounds great man! What's the volume increase like on comfort mode over stock?
Comfort mode is about the same as standard, bit more burbling maybe, sports is insane
Current mods: Mperformance rear spoiler, diffuser, side vinyls and front grille, non OEM carbon mirror caps, Remus cat back exhaust, Eibach springs, TPI spacers 15mm rear and 12mm front, Maxton side blades and v2 front splitter, Pipercross direct replacement air filter, Remus Powerizer.

Current:
F36 440i M Sport GC STORMTROOPER

Previous:
F30 320d M Sport Xdrive STORMTROOPER
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 07:26 PM   #22
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tanzanite 340i MPPSK

Quote:
Yeah that seem to be the consensus I'm getting. Just curious how much louder just midpipe or the catback are over stock. I'm definitely down to be a bit louder but just don't want to be too 'in your face' about it since I open up the throttle a lot.
I had axle back MPE on my 335i and now have MPPSK cat back on 340i. The MPPSK is louder overall and much more snap, crackle, and pops. I don't think you need to worry about the catback being too loud though. Yeah, cold start early am might wake a light sleeping neighbor and you will set off too sensitive alarms in parking garages. But it's overall pretty mild and you just tame it down with comfort mode when needed. Guy with a crazy Mustang rumbles by every morning and literally shakes the windows. It's not like that, more like a gentle roar followed by the firecrackers when in Sport mode. But compared to stock 340i exhuast it is definitely on another level.
Appreciate 0