F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > SMART, or not to SMART
ARMA SPEED
View Poll Results: Would you SMART repair the damage?
Yes 4 23.53%
No 13 76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

02-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
KS_340i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue F31 340i

SMART, or not to SMART

The driver's side of our car (Tanzanite F31) has over the past 2 years collected a few scratches, all on the driver's side.

• keyed scratch on the rear quarter (as seen here http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1392888). This has since been painted in a bit by me using a cocktail stick and then polished by my detailer, but it's still pretty visible
  • A 1cm scrape on rear door, right on the crease where some muppet has banged their car door into it, and taken the paint completely off (pic below)
  • A small 5mm indent on drivers door, near handle, small amount of paint off (again another car park ding).

I've had a few quotes from reputable smart repairers and the prices/time estimates are reasonable.

However, it will require all three panels being painted in a fairly prominent area, and they seem to end up doing quite a bit of the panel to be able to blend it in.

I'd like all of the scratches to disappear but am concerned that no SMART repairer will ever be able to get the original tanzanite finish. Each one I have emailed say they use a special paint matching programme etc and it will be spot on etc, but I struggle to understand how they can match the fleck/depth of the original.

My detailer said a lot of the finishes initially look ok, but in the sun, stand out a mile. He had an example of a carbon black BMW where the smart repair looked really bad once the sun caught it (but otherwise looked like a good match).

So, am currently weighting up what to do. Fill in using the touch up pen and then get it polished down etc (i.e. lvie with some imperfection) or SMART repair it.

We are intending keeping this car a little while longer and I have a bit of OCD so last thing I want is to end up with something that's worse.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335Xd, E81 130i

Should it need blending?

I've had a repairer who does Lambo and Ferrari say he'll match panels off the car and just refit?!

Maybe BMW finishes are pretty easy to duplicate now? If you get the met right and clear orange peel using the same media types I can't see an issue. After all BMW do lots of panels not all at once these days.

I'd deffo avoid smart unless the person doing it will do it for free if you're not happy with the result for the money.

Mid metallic seem really hard to fill in and build up as the metallic fleck won't build how it would from a gun, so larger chips just stand out in my experience.

Not sure on Tanzanite but anything with strong metallic influence is less nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
Ian0304
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d 2014

I personally wouldn’t smart repair anything within eye line but I have previously to repair minor damage around the bottom of the car where it’s less noticeable. If your ocd as many are......I’d touch them up for now and save up to get the damage done properly or even claim on your insurance......if it stacks up cost, excess, no claims etc. We recently did the latter on my mrs car which was keyed and I negotiated with the body shop to lose her £100 excess in the invoice and also do a couple of other minor bits free. They agreed as they wanted £700 of work. Her insurance premium went up pence so really worthwhile on this occasion......
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Have you tried the "Dr Color Chips" stuff - does produce some reasonable results
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:36 AM   #5
KS_340i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Have you tried the "Dr Color Chips" stuff - does produce some reasonable results
Thanks for replies! Pretty much what i was thinking!

Tanzanite is very metallic with lots if big flecks in it, i can't see how they can get the depth close in a smart repair.

I'll invest the money instead with my detailer who is happy to do build up using the bmw stick, then wet sand/polish to get as good a finish as possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335Xd, E81 130i

Build up done well is ok. Not sure I'd want to pay a detailer to do a big job though as it'll be getting on for a chunk towards respray cost.

I'd just fill them a bit diy and see how you feel in 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whippy View Post
Build up done well is ok. Not sure I'd want to pay a detailer to do a big job though as it'll be getting on for a chunk towards respray cost.

Yeah that. You notice it more than anyone else because you will be looking for it. At 5 feet most people won't even notice. Save up and get it properly sorted if you are ocd type.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 02:20 AM   #8
KS_340i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whippy View Post

Detailer is getting it this spring anyway for a 2 year top up etc and to do away with some of the v light swirling (impossible to avoid no matter how carefully you wash it). So it'll be done at same time
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I have smart repairs that look like bodyshop repairs and have stood the test of time so I am confident a skilled Smart repair can achieve high end finish. I have also seen smart repairs that are a cover up and don't last. It depends on the skill of the repairer smart or not.
Appreciate 0