F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW's ridiculous options pricing
Studio RSR

02-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

BMW's ridiculous options pricing

Unless the current custom build section on the BMW's US website is wrong, BMW has gone off the deep end along with Audi with trying to force buyers to take expensive option packages in order to get something as basic and desirable as an upgraded audio system.

This is forcing me to seriously consider telling the Germans to FK OFF.

I went to the BMW site and build an M240i and to get a supposed stand-alone HK audio system option, priced at $875, you have to accept the "premium pkg" at an additional $2250. It's really fk'ing stupid.
Given the requirement of getting the prem pkg, then just include the damn HK audio system in the prem pkg and price it at $3125. The end result is the same.

The only customer who will spend less is one who doesn't want at least a decent audio system but wants the Prem Pkg. items.

I have no need for NAV and thus have no need for BMW's Prem Pkg.
I do and always have picked the best audio option I can get.
And, BMW's HK system isn't that great in the first place.
It's decent, but I've heard standard item audio systems in cars that include it in the base price.
Audi does the same BS with their A3/S3.

BMW's pricing for the 3 series Msport is even more stupid-er.
A 330i Msport base with only adding HK audio, which requires paying for $2900 for it plus $875 for the HK audio, results in an MSRP of $49,325.
An M340i Msport base with no added options includes the HK audio system and has an MSRP of $49,500.
For someone like me who has no need for NAV, there is no reason to not get the M340i over a 330i Msport, none.

My 2016 340i Msport has only added leather, M adaptive suspension, and HK audio and came in around $51K.
A current 2018 340i Msport with same features, plus adding the 4/50K Ultimate Care +1, to get the same maintenance as mine, has an MSRP of $52,600.
Not a crazy increase for a 2 model year newer 340i Msport.

But, the options packaging has become really stupid and expensive for the so called "lower priced" 3 series.

Yes, for me, something this seemingly minor ticks me off, because I expect a high quality audio system in a "near luxury" car. The HK audio should be the standard audio system in N.A market, or a true stand alone option as it was.
BMW and Audi are going to lose some of us because of their stupidity and greed, as if it's something new to the Germans.

Last edited by RPM90; 03-12-2018 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

HK sucks. Don't get it. It's easier to upgrade the base stereo, too. I paid for HK and then ripped it out.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

BMW knows their core buyers lease (see their argument on annual fees for carplay) either strippers or fully loaded. Don't think new bundling practices will affect their core buyers. And the other set of buyers, used stuff, they buy the same way anyways

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Although, I don't always follow this advise "never buy new" ...it is the best advise.

Get all the things you want and save thousands by buying slightly used CPO.

But I agree, I hate how they combo price certain must have options.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Try going to the dealer rather than using the configurator to see what they can do.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Although, I don't always follow this advise "never buy new" ...it is the best advise.

This is true. CPO all the way. HK sucks. But I'm fine with the standard. I'm whatever about the sound system. Care more about how the exhaust sounds.
      02-20-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

You're right, OP. See if you can get what you want outside of BMW. For instance, Bimmertech provides electronic toys that are found on upgraded bimmers. My 335i is loaded with a bunch of electronics that I didn't want. I bought it used and all the packages didn't really affect resale much (not many wanted the 6-speed I guess). Some of those electronic bits I didn't want turned out to be kind of cool, though.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 07:23 PM   #8
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

That's true. But for picky buyers with certain must-have options, finding a CPO that gets you what you want can be challenging--HK without Premium, for example
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Unless the current custom build section on the BMW's US website is wrong, BMW has gone off the deep end along with Audi with trying to force buyers to take expensive option packages in order to get something as basic and desirable as an upgraded audio system.

I went to the BMW site and build an M240i and to get a supposed stand-alone HK audio system option, priced at $875, you have to accept the "premium pkg" at an additional $2250. It's really fk'ing stupid.
Given the requirement of getting the prem pkg, then just include the damn HK audio system in the prem pkg and price it at $3125. The end result is the same.

The only customer who will spend less is one who doesn't want at least a decent audio system but wants the Prem Pkg. items.

It's decent, but I've heard standard item audio systems in cars that include it in the base price.

A 330i Msport base with only adding HK audio, which requires paying for $2900 for it plus $875 for the HK audio, results in an MSRP of $49,325.
An M340i Msport base with no added options includes the HK audio system and has an MSRP of $49,500.
For someone like me who has no need for NAV, there is no reason to not get the M340i over a 330i Msport, none.

My 2016 M340i Msport has only added leather, M adaptive suspensino, and HK audio and came in around $51K.
A current 2018 M340i with same features, plus adding the 4/50K Ultimate Care +1, to get the same maintenance as mine, has an MSRP of $52,600.
Not a crazy increase for a 2 model year newer M340i.

But, the options packaging has become really stupid and expensive for the so called "lower priced" 3 series.

Yes, for me, something this seemingly minor ticks me off, because I expect a high quality audio system in a "near luxury" car. The HK audio should be the standard audio system in N.A market, or a true stand alone option as it was.
BMW and Audi are going to lose some of us because of their stupidity and greed, as if it's something new to the Germans.
The reverse could also be true. A car essentially 2 ways. Striped or Loaded.

Easier for BMW. Easier for Dealers.

Be glad you still have options.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:

My 2016 M340i Msport has only added leather, M adaptive suspensino, and HK audio and came in around $51K.
A current 2018 M340i with same features, plus adding the 4/50K Ultimate Care +1, to get the same maintenance as mine, has an MSRP of $52,600.

This is what happened to me when I built my car. The change over was somewhere around September or October of 2017.

When I first went to BMW.com to build my car, and get a build code to take to the different dealers to run prices, and in doing so, I chose the different options until I got it just right.

Then around October, when I was ready to order, I went back to the website to get a new build code and everything changed. No more individual options. It was all the packages such as the Executive and Premium.

That was one thing nice about ordering a BMW. You could make it the way you wanted. Now you have to order the packages just like a Buick.
Appreciate 1
RPM90889.50
      02-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Airman View Post
That was one thing nice about ordering a BMW. You could make it the way you wanted. Now you have to order the packages just like a Buick.
And those 2 brands just saw their J D Powers rating rise....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #12
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Airman View Post
Now you have to order the packages just like a Buick.
Think it just affected the 3 series in its last year. probably to streamline purchasing for dealers. the new BMWs like the X3 still have many individual options rather than the 3 series approach

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:27 PM   #13
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
And those 2 brands just saw their J D Powers rating rise....
Yup, but BMW was one of the last to change their ordering process to a "tier" based system. But now days they are all doing it. It simplifies the build process.

The Audi I looked at had only 3 tiers. Premium, Premium Plus, and Prestige. Then you added paint and accessories.

The Subaru we ordered, if you wanted EyeSight, (which is totally phenomenal by the way) you had to order the highest tier, completely optioned out.

The Tesla 3. People stood in line, hundreds of thousands of them, to order a car they couldn't even build, like they were ordering an iphone or washing machine. Now they have to wait years to choose their tier.

It's the new way to buy a car. The internet way. Clickity, click.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I went to the BMW site and build an M240i and to get a supposed stand-alone HK audio system option, priced at $875, you have to accept the "premium pkg" at an additional $2250.
If you want the Mark Levinson system in a Lexus IS300 F Sport you have to get it with nav and a bunch of other stuff for $2835. BMW isn't the first to go to packages, they're one of the last.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If you want the Mark Levinson system in a Lexus IS300 F Sport you have to get it with nav and a bunch of other stuff for $2835. BMW isn't the first to go to packages, they're one of the last.
I’d much rather pay $2800 for a ML system than $2800 for a HK System.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #16
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Packaging of options is driven by marketing and validated by engineers. Quite often, certain parts and wiring are easier (less expensive) to install at the same time. Vehicle margins are quite important for manufacturers to maintain. But - there is no such thing as a perfect assortment of options.
Appreciate 1
tex26702400.50
      02-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #17
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

The reverse could also be true. A car essentially 2 ways. Striped or Loaded.

Easier for BMW. Easier for Dealers.

Be glad you still have options.
Meh. With my order it was an issue with my dealer because of the specific things I wanted. The 704M wheels were almost impossible to find.. along with the track pack. Then the M Performance parts took a minute too.

It has gotten more confusing.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #18
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Meh. With my order it was an issue with my dealer because of the specific things I wanted. The 704M wheels were almost impossible to find.. along with the track pack. Then the M Performance parts took a minute too.

It has gotten more confusing.
If it’s not available, only 2 different packages, the Dealer won’t have the issues finding it as there are only 2-3 option packages....period.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #19
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

Quote:

Agree 100%. I recently purchased my 2015 335i as a CPO with 23,000 miles on it. Car looks and drives like new and I saved a lot on money not leasing, like I did on my previous 2 BMW's. All my future BMW's will be CPO's. If you search dealer inventories in the area you live in, it not hard to find a deal on a low miles CPO with all the options you want.

Regarding the HK, I had a 440i loaner for a week with HK. When I got my 335i back with the standard sound system, it was hard to tell much difference. I do plan on up grading to BavSound speakers at some point.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:08 AM   #20
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBro2002 View Post
Agree 100%. I recently purchased my 2015 335i as a CPO with 23,000 miles on it. Car looks and drives like new and I saved a lot on money not leasing, like I did on my previous 2 BMW's. All my future BMW's will be CPO's. If you search dealer inventories in the area you live in, it not hard to find a deal on a low miles CPO with all the options you want.

Regarding the HK, I had a 440i loaner for a week with HK. When I got my 335i back with the standard sound system, it was hard to tell much difference. I do plan on up grading to BavSound speakers at some point.
Not bad depending on what price you paid. I already have more miles than that on my 340 (prefer to drive it rather than preserve it). I do like the LCI update though with the new B58 and sport + modes as well as new headlights and tailights. You can score some awesome deals on the 2016 340's now that much of the depreciation hit has taken place. If you're interested in a 340 over a 440 it comes with HK standard in the US along with moonroof, comfort access and M Sport (beginning in MY2017) included in the base price
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:10 AM   #21
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Completely agree and my 340 reflects that.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 06:35 AM   #22
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Of course not. My father used to complain about this 30 years ago.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83722.00