F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Aftermarket Tuner Bug Issues? Or Coincidental F30 Bug Issues?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sportline AW

Aftermarket Tuner Bug Issues? Or Coincidental F30 Bug Issues?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So far I have put about 800 miles since upgrading by JB4 from the Stage 1 unit to Stage 2 with the correct new wiring harness and downloading the new firmware and updating the Stage 2 box per the instructions.

A few odd bugs have started happening with the electrical components which I am not sure why they happen and then a few minutes later of after a motor restart they go away...

1). Getting more frequent now a rough motor idle (like a poor tune running too lean) upon start up sometimes even when the motor is still warm around 200 degrees F or more frequently occurring around 165 degrees F. It used to be on/off only on cold morning starts 2 weeks after installing the update. The rough idle doesn't throw any codes just shakes the car pretty badly even when I give it a few light revs to try to compensate.

Currently running MAP 2. I run 93 octane premium Shell or Chevron gas only.

2). This only happened once. All of a sudden I lost all my radio presets/GPS addresses/split screen content went blank. I went into the Settings menu selected and unselected the Split Screen option and everything came back.

3). This happened yesterday. I did a hard run from Houston to Baton Rouge for Memorial Day weekend averaging around 95 MPH the entire way. Also maxed out the car to top speed a few times. About half way during the trip the a/c all of a sudden started to no longer be able to blow past low.

The a/c temp was still cold just for some reason the fan was not able to push air our fast enough to cool the cabin. The a/c display still showed that a/c was on and that I still had all functionality including MAX A/C and fan speed. I could hear the varying speed of the fan blowing hard as usual just barely any cold air came out the vents. I had to open the windows for about 15 minutes until randomly I had control of the fan again.

Weird all of these odd behaviors seem to occur after a few months of upgrading to Stage 2 with no other modifications done to the vehicle.

Anyone else having these issues with or without a tuner?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
No issues since new, no tuning other than factory MPPK. It sounds like your A/C was "freezing up" due to low freon - you may want to have the A/C checked for that. Your other incidents may be due to your JB tune and its required wiring.

Regarding your "averaging 95 MPH" trip from Houston to Baton Rouge, I'll assume you took Interstate 10? Driving that speed on that lousy stretch of road, and especially "topping out" is nothing short of crazy, what with LA state police constantly on the hunt for out-of-state speeders. Were you driving at 3AM?

I ask this only because I recently moved from SA to the Wlimington, NC area and drove I-10 from SA to Mobile, AL. As soon as I crossed the state line into LA, the pavement became very rough and the journey was pretty unpleasant until crossing into AL. Can't imagine driving 95mph on that surface!

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
No issues since new, no tuning other than factory MPPK. It sounds like your A/C was "freezing up" due to low freon - you may want to have the A/C checked for that. Your other incidents may be due to your JB tune and its required wiring.

Regarding your "averaging 95 MPH" trip from Houston to Baton Rouge, I'll assume you took Interstate 10? Driving that speed on that lousy stretch of road, and especially "topping out" is nothing short of crazy, what with LA state police constantly on the hunt for out-of-state speeders. Were you driving at 3AM?

I ask this only because I recently moved from SA to the Wlimington, NC area and drove I-10 from SA to Mobile, AL. As soon as I crossed the state line into LA, the pavement became very rough and the journey was pretty unpleasant until crossing into AL. Can't imagine driving 95mph on that surface!
agreed on the shitty pavement in LA!!! wth its a rough ride on I-10 through LA lol. but 95 is fairly reasonable, i drove from Beaumont to Charlotte NC and when i wasnt stuck behind a car i was going 95-100.

but top speed?! u went 160?!

as far as ur issues i havnt experienced any of that, other than sometimes my exhaust note, at idle, will have a slight repition to it, not a constant note. Or my car will have a random hard shift from 1-2 if the engine is cold. I think it could use a little tweaking on the tune but otherwise is AMAZING how it brought my car to life.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel View Post
agreed on the shitty pavement in LA!!! wth its a rough ride on I-10 through LA lol. but 95 is fairly reasonable, i drove from Beaumont to Charlotte NC and when i wasnt stuck behind a car i was going 95-100.
You're pretty brave...I was doing 75 and had my head on a swivel plus my R2D2 set on max sensitivity. I was passing other cars, but not many were passing me at that speed. Of course, that's how I maintained a 34 MPG average over the 1400+ mile trip.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Yea, not something I'd do now, but can say I did travel that stretch a few times above the legal limit but def not pushing 160. (maybe got 120 for a moment when I was in college...)

As for the issues, dont think they have anything to do with the tune as I dont think it touches anything related to what you described.

One note on the A/C, under WOT the car is supposed to give preference to the engine and will cut whatever it needs from other demands. So perhaps that was the issue? Grasping for straws... I do notice if i have the A/c going and go WOT it seems to cut off the air to give the engine all the juice it can.

Another note, unless you have an aftermarket down pipe with 93 fuel, you shouldn't run anything other than map 1 (well unless you're running meth/e85 with the flex fuel wires, etc.) Or so is the direction Terry gives with the F30 Stage 2 instructions.
Appreciate 0