F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2016 BMW 340i Issues with BMW Assist? Thoughts
Studio RSR

12-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Mjolnir63
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

2016 BMW 340i Issues with BMW Assist? Thoughts

Hi Guys,

Bought mine new 12/4/2015 and every time I called BMW assist the operators thought I was in a collision and couldn't see my coordinates. Took it back to the dealer first time and they told me it was something wrong with BMW Assist and use SOS to call again in a month. They reset the software but still couldn't find the issue. Had to leave the car with them overnight for the reset. I looked at the report and it said "fault was stored in the telematic control unit (TCU)

When I called BMW Assist to confirm this they said this is a known issue but only the dealership could fix it and there is nothing BMW assist could do on their end. In addition there have been cases where this issue was resolved.

Took the car back into dealer second time (12/10/15) and told them what BMW Assist told me, they said they have to call BMW Genius in BMW NJ and told me to take the car back.

Called them this Monday and now they needed to do a PUMA case on the car.
Took the car to the dealership in the same day and now they said they needed to do a PUMA case on the car and needed to hold it until Friday....

Anyone with a new 2016 BMW having this issue? If so what did you do or what did the dealer do to fix this. I bought a brand new car and I barely got to drive it. It's very disappointing and frustrating to have this happen as a first time BMW owner. With my first month payment coming up it's not the best feeling to know the new car I just bought needed to be fixed within weeks of owning it.

Thoghts? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive Msport

I picked up my 340 a couple weeks ago. A few days later I started getting an "emergency call malfunction" error message upon every start up. Everything still seemed to work including a test SOS call. Dealer said I needed a new TCU module which is still on order. This is obviously somewhat different than your issue but potentially different symptoms of the same defective TCU issue?
      12-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Mjolnir63
United_States
Rep

I am sorry to hear that cardsdoc. I did bring up the possibility of a faulty TCU to the technician at the dealership but they said TCU isn't faulty since operator was still able to hear my voice. They also ran my TCU number for a test and said everything checks out.

The technician said it was something with the network, with the analogy of a phone able to make a call but not send a text. However, if it was really just the network that would mean other 2016 340i would have the same issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
turbodiesel38
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Competition

My new 340i is having the same issue with sending collision data instead of sending the information they're expecting to set up a new account (I got my car four days ago and hit SOS yesterday to set up the account). It's going in for service next week for this issue. I agree, frustrating to have a new car going in for service. Did they resolve your car's issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I just had this on my 2015 i3 May 2015 build.

Error in the code and reinstalled software.

No BMW assist from the car
Traffic updates not active
iRemote not talking to car
ConnectedDrive not active in car but active otherwise.

No issues since.
      01-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
Mjolnir63
United_States
Rep

@ turbodiesel38: My dealer did resolve the issue after initiating a PUMA case. The fix for me was actually an software update. Apparently in Munich they found out all 340is need to be updated but somehow this information never got to my dealership.

On another note my car is now having another issue......head up display shifts up and down randomly every time I start engine. Filed a formal complaint and they now are going to swap the entire HUD unit. Make sure yours doesn't have time problem as my issue got worse and worse gradually.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
turbodiesel38
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by psde2F30 View Post
@ turbodiesel38: My dealer did resolve the issue after initiating a PUMA case. The fix for me was actually an software update. Apparently in Munich they found out all 340is need to be updated but somehow this information never got to my dealership.

On another note my car is now having another issue......head up display shifts up and down randomly every time I start engine. Filed a formal complaint and they now are going to swap the entire HUD unit. Make sure yours doesn't have time problem as my issue got worse and worse gradually.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the update! Hopefully it's just a software update for me too. So far so good on everything else -- I'm glad my new car isn't going in for something mechanical. We'll see what they have to do to get my car's Assist fixed.
Appreciate 0