F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > M sport steering wheel damage?
Studio RSR

07-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #1
gmharoun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i

M sport steering wheel damage?

The f30 msport steering wheel was never cleaner from 2012!!! so I decided to give it a go... used just cleaners and it did not work.

Then decided to use leatherique, which really did not do a good job (the abrasion is from extended scrubbing after the prestine cleaner)

Lastly I tried the magic eraser which I think gave the best result, but I don't how to fix the upper part? I have a feeling that I should use more of the magic eraser to have the whole steering wheel look like this, but part of me thinks I'm damaging it? How do I go about this!!

photos:

Last edited by gmharoun; 07-08-2017 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

I work in refurbishing pre-owned vehicles for a high-end manufacturer and the only time I ever see this is when the top coating begins delaminating from the leather below, usually from the products the previous owner uses on their hands. May have also been caused by vigorous scrubbing.
      07-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
gmharoun
Australia
Rep

Thanks! I think in this case vigorous scrubbing.

But isn't the new steering wheel meant to be grey matte and not black?
And how do i fix it?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
gmharoun
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
I work in refurbishing pre-owned vehicles for a high-end manufacturer and the only time I ever see this is when the top coating begins delaminating from the leather below, usually from the products the previous owner uses on their hands. May have also been caused by vigorous scrubbing.
So what do you think i can do to have this fixed??

George
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmharoun View Post

George
I'm always confused about the stock m sport wheel finish, I once sat in a brand new f30 at a dealer and the wheel was super matte and grey ish, yet since then I have never ever seen a brand new car without a satin/slightly shiny black look to them..

IMHO it looks like you've scrubbed the laminated leather off the top area.. magic erasers are really abrasive and can be super damaging. The leather on those wheels isn't as hard wearing like what might be on your seats, so a very mild leather cleaner is your best option for cleaning these wheels and whatever result you get you've got to live with.
      07-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Ask your local dealer, high-end used car dealer or quality body shop to have their interior/trim restorer take a look at it. They will be able to respray a leather dye on it. Then keep the magic eraser away from your leather!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #7
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Thanks! I think in this case vigorous scrubbing.

But isn't the new steering wheel meant to be grey matte and not black?
And how do i fix it?
Whoops! Sorry for the late response. I'd find a local leather repair place, they can clean the whole wheel for you (should at least be satin if not matte) and then respray the section to make it like new.
      07-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

Shouldn't this NOT be normal on a $50K car? My wheel is doing this too and I never used any abrasive cleaners. Other than just water on a microfiber towel. I complained to my dealer and their "regional asshole" said too bad it's normal wear and tear.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 05:18 AM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I'm going to say try reconditioning it with a proper leather balm. You may be able to nourish it to the point it masks it. Then protect it and clean it every few weeks thereafter or as and when required.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #10
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport

im having same issue ... i thought a good scrubbing on it would take care of it but looks it its not
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

i have a box of these at home...the magic eraser is an abrasive so it looks to me like you have abraded away portions of the top layer of your steering wheel...maybe time to get a new wheel?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 02:16 AM   #12
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

This happened to me after I used Dr Leather wipes on the steering. The wipes are fine for the seats but must be too strong for the seats.

I normally use a product called LTT leather cleaner but I have leant it to my father in law so didn't have it to hand. It is a 2-3 stage kit and works well.

As the steering was quite dry and marked like in the photos above I used two coats of this:

http://www.renapur.com

How to apply:
1. Use the soft application sponge supplied with the product. Don't use any other sponge like a magic eraser.
2. Be gentle with application. The steering will look shiny and horrible. Allow the product to absorb over night. Preferably avoid driving. Try to avoid plastic parts of the steering.
3. Repeat next day if necessary.

It's one week on and the steering still looks and feels like new. Major marks are so minimal you can't even notice them unless you are glaring at the steering for minutes you might notice a bit.

Great product. Water proof to an extent. Definitely nourishes leather to restore natural chemical balance. Use it regularly on my horses saddle.
Appreciate 0