F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Highest HP N20 with ECU tune only
Studio RSR

04-28-2015, 11:16 PM   #67
PedM5
Rep
Drives: '02 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded View Post
would you mind answering my question in post number #57.
Sure,

The stock ECU has checks and balances in place and will run the maximum boost pressure/ignition timing for the fuel it has. The car's knock sensors will detect pinging when it occurs and adjustments are made at the millisecond level. Utilizing the stock ECU gives the added benefit of using all the stock safety parameters and "asking" the ECU for more power. If it can't make the power safely it will bleed boost or pull timing depending on the severity of knock just like it does with the stock calibration. Our tune on an F13 M6 for example using a 91 octane tune makes an additional 50whp+ when it runs race gas. Not sure if this link works but here it is at shift sector where he beat every other tuned M5/M6 at the event:

https://www.facebook.com/JoweKyuLee/...3778842186111/

If you pay attention to some of the dyno videos or dyno graphs out there for the FXX cars, you will see some dyno runs where the car doesn't rev out all the way and starts backfiring/spitting flames before hitting redline. Although it looks cool it's the ECU going into component protection mode. This can happen when the ECU sees more boost than it's asking for in the various boost control maps and when the car tries to bleed boost and is unsuccessful it will close the throttle and dive extremely rich causing the backfiring and flame spitting. This also causes the dreaded "drivetrain malfunction" code that pops up. This happens a lot on the dyno but it also happens on the street you just are less aware. In DCT cars it will upshift very early when it detects this type of problem and in a manual it will just not rev out.

We make a proper tune where the car is not surprised by how much boost or ignition timing it's getting and it prevents these issues from arising and is much more consistent than utilizing a piggyback. Also if you log the car you will see that power up top suffers severely from IAT increase, the stock turbo isn't very efficient up top so if you couple a tune with down pipes and an intercooler you will be in a whole new world. Go to a reworked turbo and these will be killer cars capable of taking down the CLA45 AMG's.

Hope that explanation makes sense.
Appreciate 3
      05-01-2015, 04:10 AM   #68
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedM5 View Post
Sure,

The stock ECU has checks and balances in place and will run the maximum boost pressure/ignition timing for the fuel it has. The car's knock sensors will detect pinging when it occurs and adjustments are made at the millisecond level. Utilizing the stock ECU gives the added benefit of using all the stock safety parameters and "asking" the ECU for more power. If it can't make the power safely it will bleed boost or pull timing depending on the severity of knock just like it does with the stock calibration. Our tune on an F13 M6 for example using a 91 octane tune makes an additional 50whp+ when it runs race gas. Not sure if this link works but here it is at shift sector where he beat every other tuned M5/M6 at the event:

https://www.facebook.com/JoweKyuLee/...3778842186111/

If you pay attention to some of the dyno videos or dyno graphs out there for the FXX cars, you will see some dyno runs where the car doesn't rev out all the way and starts backfiring/spitting flames before hitting redline. Although it looks cool it's the ECU going into component protection mode. This can happen when the ECU sees more boost than it's asking for in the various boost control maps and when the car tries to bleed boost and is unsuccessful it will close the throttle and dive extremely rich causing the backfiring and flame spitting. This also causes the dreaded "drivetrain malfunction" code that pops up. This happens a lot on the dyno but it also happens on the street you just are less aware. In DCT cars it will upshift very early when it detects this type of problem and in a manual it will just not rev out.

We make a proper tune where the car is not surprised by how much boost or ignition timing it's getting and it prevents these issues from arising and is much more consistent than utilizing a piggyback. Also if you log the car you will see that power up top suffers severely from IAT increase, the stock turbo isn't very efficient up top so if you couple a tune with down pipes and an intercooler you will be in a whole new world. Go to a reworked turbo and these will be killer cars capable of taking down the CLA45 AMG's.

Hope that explanation makes sense.
That makes a lot of sense, that's the reason I got Jb from first place before ECU flash existed for Fxx. I had previously 2012 328i with penumetic solenoid I used RON92 with st. 1 which obviously was stupidity from me because I thought 91 U.S is same the car always had CEL (drivetrain malfunction) even when I started using octane when car goes in heatsoak it's damned, the only way I can avoid this is to remove tune to find proper gas and octane and that was a disaster then I saw JB4 and it came to rescue because of the map change, I stay stock till I find proper gas and check avg_ign and ign advanced then it's good to go..

so if your flash lets the car handles everything even with boost higher as you explained and I will not see car slower or same as stock in very high temperature (reaches 45 degree Celsius) then that's defiantly on my list more priority than the turbo upgrade
      07-04-2015, 11:14 PM   #69
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
PedM5 any updates?

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #70
wyt2209
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i N26

very impressive increase by hp
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 04:13 AM   #71
Mid_Night_F20
Private
Rep
Drives: 125iM N20

old topic i see, who do you guys currently recommend for a stage 2 flash tune on the N20 motor? i got FBO....

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 07:13 PM   #72
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Check with Matt, he's still around.......
      11-05-2017, 04:40 AM   #73
Mid_Night_F20
Private
Rep
Drives: 125iM N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
Check with Matt, he's still around.......
umm which Matt? what's the username ?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #74
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M Sport 6MT

This was BPC DME tune only at the time.
Attached Images

*M Performance Big Brake Kit
Appreciate 1
CalCarNut1060.50
      11-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #75
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
jailbreaktuning@gmail.com for Matt @ HD Tuning (new name)