F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPod not working
ARMA SPEED

04-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #111
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30 View Post
Ok, my apologies for spreading any inaccuracies, I must have missed that when I looked at the base model sticker.

Unbelievable though! BMW should be ashamed of themselves. They advertise all this connectivity, they advertise on their website "iPod" and USB adaptor as a basic level feature.

So annoyed!

What the heck is a comm box? Why would a comm box make the computer recognize an iPod?
BMW have left the expensive option out because a large portion of their customers dont use it, thus saving them money. They have been given the choice not to pay for something they dont want.

You can still easily connect the Ipod with the Y-cable and get most functions.

For the small amount of customers that want full functionality, they can
choose options that allow that.

The Combox is a multifunction units that controls things like Audio, Video and GPS. It has hardware and software on it developed with Apple to allow full Ipod functionality and control through the Idrive system.
      04-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #112
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Car must have been fitted with enhanced USB or one of the other required options. No changes have been made

BMW USA just sent out in early April a bulletin stating the cars require the Y-cable if not fitted with the options that add combox.
E90Fleet,
What are your comments on Technic's responses in this thread?
He does not contradict what you said re: combox requirement, but is saying the combox media should be standard on US F30s.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...13#post6778113
While we are at it, why do some non-nav US cars get 6WA extended panel and some do not?

Post #4
Quote:
According to the latest (02/12) parts database, the Combox Media should be standard equipment in the USA F30. Therefore the white Apple USB cable should work.
Assist upgrades it to the Combox Telematics. No Telematics = No BMW Remote = No BMW Search.

Technically the only difference between the Combox Media and the Telematics is the GSM module in the Telematics. All the Combox features -BMW Apps, BMW ConnectedDrive, Bluetooth Audio, BMW Live, BMW Internet- are available in the media version but not activated. BMW Apps can be retrofitted by the dealer according to the same parts database, the rest can be retrofitted by aftermarket vendors.
Post #8
Quote:
What I know is that there's no MULF module anywhere in the 02/12 F30 parts database. The MULF is the Bluetooth/USB module that requires the "old" BMW iPod cable. The Combox uses the Apple white USB cable.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #113
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i E88 Black

Dear Fleet,
"BMW have left the expensive option out because a large portion of their customers dont use it, thus saving them money. They have been given the choice not to pay for something they dont want.

For the small amount of customers that want full functionality, they can
choose options that allow that."
I understand that you want a job with BMW. But this comment seems very "stand behind your man"... There is literature that BMW has published that is MISLEADING regarding iPod compatibility. This is the year twentytwelve. The iPod/iPhone is prevalent throughout the world now. Support and integration with such devices is common throughout the auto industry. The expense of maintaining functionality for which the company claims support should not be considered expensive, but competitive. The 2012 F30 claims to have standard support for the device and should therefor support the device completely. Supporting the device half heartedly for people who purchase a 45 to 50 thousand dollar car is a travesty and simply unethical.

"You can still easily connect the Ipod with the Y-cable and get most functions."

"Most functions" doesn't include the same integration with iDrive (iDrive? Really? could we be more Applecentric????) It's sad.

I had no idea that getting the enhanced bluetooth and bmw assist option got me better integration with my iPod. The original poster optioned a very nice, very expensive vehicle and he to had no idea he wasn't getting the same integration. Lets face it. If you can afford this vehicle you are more than likely an intelligent person who can read a manual and read a configurator. If it isn't readily apparent that there is a difference to us, then it is the fault of the people creating the documents. The description "Enhanced Bluetooth" doesn't quite spell iPod support. And there is very little documentation explaining what that option really means.

Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #114
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

+1 previous post. There seems to be some kind of fuzzy logic behind this. I wouldn't dare ordering my car without 6NL Enhanced Bluetooth. Since we don't have BMW Assist in Sweden we can buy that option quite cheap.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #115
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30 View Post
Dear Fleet,
"BMW have left the expensive option out because a large portion of their customers dont use it, thus saving them money. They have been given the choice not to pay for something they dont want."

"You can still easily connect the Ipod with the Y-cable and get most functions."

"Most functions" doesn't include the same integration with iDrive (iDrive? Really? could we be more Applecentric????) It's sad.

Thanks for reading.
Excuse me, has anyone ever used an iPod on an e90 with out iDrive? That was frustrating . You had two lines of previewed text and when looking through your library, depending on how large it was would take forever. Had to use the Y-cable in order for it to work, but the audio was great (at times limited by the hifi-package as I didn't have HK option).

I'm guessing that you can now scroll by artist letter, you have more lines of text to see Artist, Album, Track, etc. Definitely an improvement on the prior "base" setup as iDrive is now "base." In terms of the other options, they are icing on the cake. Ok, so your white apple cable doesn't work, get the Y-cable and all will be fine. Besides, who cares about the Album Art, most people don't even use that function.

All I can say is never assume, I did initially as well well but I had some time to make amendments to my order and added BMW Assist. BMW makes it a little confusing but over I don't think all the marketing material is misleading, you just have to read the fine print.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #116
wmo168
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
That's what I thought too, but some of the first people to get cars said it did not work if their config was no Nav and no Assist - they had to use the Y-cable. Even that BMW omniscient E90Fleet confirmed it.

Now another poster says that it should work, given some build config data as of Feb builds. Who knows? I don't have my car yet, but I ordered both Nav & Assist so that won't tell us anything.
I just went to Germany and pick up a April 22 production F30 with no Nav and No assist F30 335i and confirm the Apple cable won't work alone on a new ipod 8gb I had, I have to use the BMW Y cable I bought and it work. How ever with the Y Cable, I was able to display the Album name on the Speedometer cluster and not just the idrive screen.

[ED Photo 12'] [ED Photo 11'] [ED Photo 09'] [PCD Photo 09']
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #117
Frankisme
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Alpine White

I have the y cable with my iPhone 4s and it works great on my 328. I do not have the nav. The question I have is, is there any other USB port besides the center console that can support a thumb drive? I would love also to have a 16gb flash drive if its possible, so I don't have to plug my phone every time.

My manual states there is one in glove box, but was wondering if that only applies to NAV equipped 328
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #118
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F30 310i > G20 310i

E90fleet, based on what u mentioned, if I have option 6NK, I should be able to connect my iPod classic to the USB port using standard apple white cable and it should work fine?

From what I've read so far, the confusion is largely due to different option and package that went into each car
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #119
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Ok, I just read through this entire thread...WTF?

I ordered a 328i over the weekend, with Tech Package (Nav + Head's Up Display) but I DID NOT get the BMW Assist w/Enhanced BlueTooth & USB.

Does that mean I won't be able to use the Apple cable but will HAVE to purchase the BMW Y-Cable in order to use iDrive with my iPod? If so that is CRAP. My Volkswagen has built-in iPod integration, why in the world would a brand-new BMW not have that?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #120
tcraft
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 X40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
Ok, I just read through this entire thread...WTF?

I ordered a 328i over the weekend, with Tech Package (Nav + Head's Up Display) but I DID NOT get the BMW Assist w/Enhanced BlueTooth & USB.

Does that mean I won't be able to use the Apple cable but will HAVE to purchase the BMW Y-Cable in order to use iDrive with my iPod? If so that is CRAP. My Volkswagen has built-in iPod integration, why in the world would a brand-new BMW not have that?

Sorry to say this but that's exactly what it means.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #121
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcraft View Post
Sorry to say this but that's exactly what it means.
Other people are now saying their cars came with a Y-cable included in the plastic wrap on their manuals in the glovebox.

I've also heard other people saying that if you have NAV (regardless of BMW Assist/Enhanced USB/BT) then you can use the standard Apple cable. Basically, it sounds like no one actually knows wtf is going on.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #122
PrazVT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M240i 6mt (soon)

Before I ordered my car, I head read somewhere else that current BMWs didn't require the y-cable, so I didn't really think too much about it when I ordered my car. After reading this thread I see that that information was wrong.

The BMW configurator doesn't even mention how the USB is enhanced. The fact that BMW is still going with some archane USB + y-cable combo when everyone else simply uses a fully functioning USB is idiotic.

This question has been asked a few times in the thread - but haven't seen an answer. Can anyone comment on how much the sound quality is degraded by having to use the Y-cable? My dad has the upgraded sound system and y-cable in his '09 335i, and if the cable shifts while he's driving, you can hear one of the channels go out slightly - maybe he needs a better cable.

My iPod 160GB is filled w/ apple lossless files, but it looks like I'll have to convert all my music to wav and stick it in a large hdd.

Anyway - I called my CA after I read this thread and asked if it was still possible to add BMW assist and he says it's too late. He got the VIN and the car is in production. I'm a little irritated with him too - when I'm having to explain the differences between options to HIM, doesn't give me a lot of faith in the guy.

Sorry, I'm just irked ..I thought I had ensured this wouldn't be an issue (and was looking fwd to hear the upgraded HK system in my car).
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 02:29 AM   #123
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrazVT View Post
Before I ordered my car, I head read somewhere else that current BMWs didn't require the y-cable, so I didn't really think too much about it when I ordered my car. After reading this thread I see that that information was wrong.

The BMW configurator doesn't even mention how the USB is enhanced. The fact that BMW is still going with some archane USB + y-cable combo when everyone else simply uses a fully functioning USB is idiotic.

This question has been asked a few times in the thread - but haven't seen an answer. Can anyone comment on how much the sound quality is degraded by having to use the Y-cable? My dad has the upgraded sound system and y-cable in his '09 335i, and if the cable shifts while he's driving, you can hear one of the channels go out slightly - maybe he needs a better cable.

My iPod 160GB is filled w/ apple lossless files, but it looks like I'll have to convert all my music to wav and stick it in a large hdd.

Anyway - I called my CA after I read this thread and asked if it was still possible to add BMW assist and he says it's too late. He got the VIN and the car is in production. I'm a little irritated with him too - when I'm having to explain the differences between options to HIM, doesn't give me a lot of faith in the guy.

Sorry, I'm just irked ..I thought I had ensured this wouldn't be an issue (and was looking fwd to hear the upgraded HK system in my car).
There is a major flaw in the configurator here. It's letting people specify a HK system with a jack plug connector to the iPhone. That is clearly inappropriate.

It looks like their marketeers have tried a multi price point approach to technology but it has only resulted in confusing their customers.

Last edited by arnsbrae; 05-26-2012 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: Better grammar!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #124
F30 320d SE
BMW F30 320d SE
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d SE

Enhanced Bluetooth not needed - just that BMW cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
You need the enhanced bluetooth option, i think its likt $600, but you cant bluetooth stream if you dont have the option.
Not true I think.

I don't have the enhanced BLuetooth but mine works fine.

The trick as has been said is that you need the BMW cable. Bit of a con, but it does work.

Why not go to the dealer and have them plu a proper cable in to prove or eliminate that.

It takes few moments to sync everything when connecting but works fine after that.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 05:43 AM   #125
BonanzaNLD
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: waiting for...328i (F30)

I've said it before and I will say it again: that whole combox blahblah does not convince me. I don't buy that bs.

BMW claims (quoting E90Fleet) that not a lot of their customers are using this expensive option.

1) "Not a lot of customers" --> I am very certain that a lot of BMW owners do use an iPhone or an iPod. Or are they living on Mars??

2) "this expensive option" --> that is the problem of BMW r&d. I am sure their tech guys are able to deliver a cheap solution for full iPod/iPhone integration, but they just didn't. Maybe the management is hiding between excuse (1) and want to get an additional 700 EUR from their customers, I don't know.

If you are able to deliver things as a HUD, Lane Assist, etc, you must have full iPod/iPhone integration standard.
      05-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #126
dmontic71
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Garage List
Sorry if this is redundant, I don't feel like reading 6 pages. Mine is US spec w/o BMW apps or enhanced Bluetooth, etc. it came with the black cable from BMW and the iPod does interface with playlists, etc.

As a side note the cable did not give a good audio connection but luckily I "forgot" to return previous Y cable when I turned in my 528i lease, and I used that one. If my car didn't come with the cable I would definitely have pressured the dealership to give me one free!
      05-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #127
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmontic71 View Post
Sorry if this is redundant, I don't feel like reading 6 pages. Mine is US spec w/o BMW apps or enhanced Bluetooth, etc. it came with the black cable from BMW and the iPod does interface with playlists, etc.

As a side note the cable did not give a good audio connection but luckily I "forgot" to return previous Y cable when I turned in my 528i lease, and I used that one. If my car didn't come with the cable I would definitely have pressured the dealership to give me one free!
This concerns me...it seems like some people on this forum have gotten a y-cable sealed with the manuals, and others have not. I don't want to have to fight with the dealer for a cable.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #128
mfear
South Florida Elite
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i - Crimson Red/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
This concerns me...it seems like some people on this forum have gotten a y-cable sealed with the manuals, and others have not. I don't want to have to fight with the dealer for a cable.
didn't get w/ our 328i.. did get it with the X3.. i just told the dealer to give us one for the 328, he did.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #129
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfear View Post
didn't get w/ our 328i.. did get it with the X3.. i just told the dealer to give us one for the 328, he did.
I hope it's that easy, I don't want an awkward argument when I'm picking up the new car I just want to be happy about everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #130
PrazVT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M240i 6mt (soon)

For those that are interested, I did a test of various formats on my dad's 09 335.

ALAC, WAV, WMA lossless.

Only formats that work: wav 16/44, wma lossless 16/44.

For the majority of my lossless music that is fine, but any of my high res music will need to be downsampled. I'm going to take my ipod and a 240GB ssd and see which dac sounds better.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #131
Stellvertreter
Autobahn User ;)
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW E92, 330dA xDrive

*BUMP*

Hi there!

I am from Germany.

As you know the configuration options recently changed (http://www.automotiveworld.com/news-...r-spring-2013/)

The simple USB and Bluetooth is now standard.

Interesting is a new option which is called:

Enhanced Bluetooth functionality with USB audio interface
(in German it's called: Komforttelefonie mit erweiterter Smartphone-Anbindung) Code: 6NS

This has nothing to do with Assist and/or Nav. It's a little different from the previous options but includes some features.... plus it adds some. I only have the German description:

"Erweiterte Freisprecheinrichtung ermöglicht die Verbindung von bis zu
zwei Mobiltelefonen und einem Audioplayer gleichzeitig über
Bluetooth mit dem Fahrzeug. Die Bedienung der gekoppelten
Endgeräte erfolgt über die Bedienelemente des Fahrzeugs.
Erweiterung durch optionalen Snap-In-Adapter für Ladefunktion und
Verbindung zur Außenantenne möglich.
Informationen zur Endgerätekompatibilität und Verfügbarkeit Snap-In
Adapter unter www.bmw.com/bluetooth.
Erweiterte USB-Schnittstelle mit Anschlussmöglichkeit für
MP3-Player, Apple iPhone/iPod oder USB-Speichersticks zum
Abspielen von Audiodateien über das Audiosystem des Fahrzeugs.
Drahtlose Wiedergabe von Audiodateien ausgewählter Geräte über
Bluetooth möglich (Audio-Streaming).
Spracheingabesystem Bedienung von Fahrzeug Ausstattungen wie
z. B. Telefon, Navigationssystem, Radio oder Fahrzeugeinstellungen
über gesprochene Kommandos.
"

I just ordered mine and chose this option. I did not order the Nav.

Now I am not sure if I should remove this option. What I want is: Use my iPod Touch and have the best possible integration. I know that this should still work with an Y-Cable. I called the hotline and they told me that this new option gives you better(?) control over your iPod. Not sure what that means Since you can control it when using an Y-Cable I don't know what should be better... The option is 500 EUR and I am not willing to pay that only to have the possibility to use the standard white USB cable instead of an Y-Cable.

In case I find out more details, I am gonna post them here.

Album art is still not shown without a Nav. That's what they told me for sure. Even with this option.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #132
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
I have a nov. 2013 build date on my 320ixdrive, base system, I purchased the black y adapter, plugged in my apple gen 2, and it reads on the screen, shows title, time elapsed ect, but no audio.. am I missing something?? yes volume is up..lol..
Appreciate 0