F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Winter Tires for F30
Studio RSR

10-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #177
yoyobimma
Rep
Drives: 335 ix

anybody try the nokian hakka 7 or 8 for winter?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #178
Jimminez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobimma View Post
anybody try the nokian hakka 7 or 8 for winter?
Both are studded tires and not permitted in Ontario if you are looking for normal road tire. Nokian does have a great non studded tire in the Hakkapeliitta R2. I had the previous gen and found it to be a great tire and heard these are an improvement over them. Getting mine installed tomorrow.

Past - F31 M Sport Estoril Blue - Thread - Pic

Current - 2021 Audi RS6 Avant
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #179
yoyobimma
Rep
Drives: 335 ix

studs optional

Hi I was at the tire place yesterday , you can get the hakka8 without the studs.
I have hakka7 s on my other car .
you are correct no studs in ontario but in quebec it is ok between certain dates. i am plated in ontario so no studs for me , with a lot of highway its too noisy with studs.

I am wondering about size , I would like the narrowest tire that will fit on a 335ix with m brakes , all is see is 225 /45 18 for now but am wondering if there is anything narrower that will fit
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #180
75fusca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 30i

Hi, I'm looking at getting Hakka R2 mounted on steel rims. BMW only sells mags but they gave me the right specs:

7,5 Jx 17
ET 37
M14 x 1,25 Bolt Pattern

Please I need advice: If I have the Hakkas mounted on the regular steel rims, anything to be aware regarding the tyre pressure sensor or whatnot?

Thanks!
      10-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #181
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I believe you can go even smaller, if you want steel rims.

Front & Rear alloy wheels: 16x7" ET31
part number: BMW 36106786353
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #182
75fusca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

Thank you bobblehead!
Cannot find the part available in Canada or US I'm afraid. I will give it to the dealer parts section and see if they would get it (probably not since they don't want to sell it here....).
      10-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #183
bforbryan
Private
Rep
Drives: FAST

Looking for decent winter rims. You guys on the East coast know anything about http://replikawheels.ca/ ? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #184
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Look like I might go with the Nokian Hakka 8 as well. Does anybody know a place with good deal on them in the Montreal area?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #185
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Cdn company established by Fast wheels. Braelin is another name Fast wheels created as well.

Quality is questionable at best and don't expect them to last too long. They are normally made in China, gravity cast wheels. Some say the finish may last only a year or two due to salt and winter debris.

It looks like the wheels are made in China and then they are shipped to Canada for final machine drilling (bolt pattern) for the various needs for different cars, thus claiming the wheels are made in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbryan View Post
Looking for decent winter rims. You guys on the East coast know anything about http://replikawheels.ca/ ? Thanks!

Last edited by bobblehead; 10-24-2014 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #186
75fusca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Thanks again bobblehead!

I managed to get a set of the OEM BMW ones you told me on eBay.de for $485.53 CAD including DHL shipping to Ottawa. And got the Hakkas R2 16'' FR for $206 each vs the 17'' at $269 each (Tiresbyweb.com).

Question:
Would I need to ad any type of sensors or special valves to make them readable by the tire pressure system?
Or I can have them mounted and installed just like regular tires?
      10-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #187
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75fusca View Post
Thanks again bobblehead!

I managed to get a set of the OEM BMW ones you told me on eBay.de for $485.53 CAD including DHL shipping to Ottawa. And got the Hakkas R2 16'' FR for $206 each vs the 17'' at $269 each (Tiresbyweb.com).

Question:
Would I need to ad any type of sensors or special valves to make them readable by the tire pressure system?
Or I can have them mounted and installed just like regular tires?
I remember someone saying we don't have tpms. We use abs to detect the tire pressure
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #188
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
I remember someone saying we don't have tpms. We use abs to detect the tire pressure
This is right, we still have the rubber valve stems so no TPMS.

Earlier the question of studded tires in Ontario was asked - that is true for the south. In Northern Ontario they are allowed. With all the freezing rain that we get we should allow them outside the GTA.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #189
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Yup. bmw changed to indirect tire pressure many years ago. It should really call Flat Tire Monitor instead of TPM because it does not give out actual reading on the FTM.

Like the poster above said, if your factory oem comes with rubber stem valves, then that's the proof that TPMS is NOT used. Thus, no need to get them.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #190
BMW_Mouse
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive sedan

Re: winter RTF, Nokian & EH2+ wheels

Going through this thread, forum board and the internet, it’s clear the post below repeats a lot of information found here and there. But hopefully my recent experience shopping for an alternative to BMW’s approved winter tire + wheel package will help with info in one place.

Ottawa, Canada. My 2015 328i xDrive sedan (I don’t have M Sport or Performance Braking package). BMW approved winter package for my vehicle is Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Series II RFT 225/50R17 94H + 17" V-spoke style 413 wheels, 7.5 J x 17", ET:37, bolt pattern: 5 x 120mm, hub bore: 72.56mm, bolts: M14 x 1.25. First experience owning a BMW, indeed any car with run-flat tires. Have always bought winter tires for my previous cars. Of course, need wheels because the all-seasons are 18”.

What I learned:

1. Run-flat winter tires or not? I don’t have a spare in my trunk and don’t want to gamble. Plus my BMW salesperson stated that if I had tire troubles, required warranty/roadside assistance, and didn’t have winter run-flats on, it would be declared “non-compliant operation of vehicle” (my words) – and all on my dime.

2. Which tire? Five reputable local shops had five different opinions. But one name surfaced all the time – Nokian.

3. If I’m travelling out-of-town and catch a flat, is there a tire dealer nearby stocking a Nokian replacement or am I in trouble? That’s important – for any winter tire brand.

4. Nokian Hakk 8s. New in 2014, includes run-flat sizes, normally a studded tire, is available *exclusively* in Quebec studless. Caution: if you’re stuck with a flat anywhere but in or across the border from Quebec, the local Nokian dealer *won’t* stock a studless Hakk 8.

5. Nokian Hakk R2s have a run-flat version in the size I seek, but their speed rating is “R” (170km/h) not the BMW approved “H” speed rating (210km/h) of the Pirellis. Possible issue? The Nokian Ontario territory sales manager stated that as long as I understood the “R”-rated tire would not be as “performing” in dry conditions compared to a stiffer “H” speed rated winter tire, then there was “no incompatibility” with an “R”-rated winter tire on my car. The stiffer “handling” winter tire vs. softer “snow/ice” winter tire debate. Back at my BMW dealership, I asked specifically if putting an “R”-rated (run-flat) winter tire on my car would affect my BMW warranties/roadside assistance. No one said that was an issue.

6. Tire pressure monitor sensors (TPMS)? My car doesn’t need them, as tire pressure is monitored though the ABS.

7. Wheels specifically designed to mount run-flat tires have the EH2/EH2+ designation. There is a design difference between “conventional” and “run-flat” designed wheels. Differences include extra lip on rim of EH2/EH2+ wheel to support run-flat sidewall, and stronger construction to handle increased shocks transmitted through stiffer run-flat sidewall.

8. Must you have EH2/EH2+ wheels for run-flat winter tires? Apparently it depends on the tire manufacturer. Nokian’s website claims “Nokian Flat Run system tires can be installed on conventional wheels”. I contacted Bridgestone about this, but have received no reply as yet. The five local shops I spoke to were all over the map on this one. Interestingly, tirerack.com glosses over this question completely when you use the website’s “snow tire & wheel package” advisory system – no mention whatsoever if any of the recommended wheels are EH2/EH2+. What does my BMW dealership say? No guidance, really – and no clear answers whether using “conventional” wheels impacts BMW warranties/roadside assistance.

9. Does an EH2/EH2+ after-market wheel for my car exist? I found one made by RWC, a Montreal-based company. A 17” BMW replica wheel exactly to match F30 3-series dimensions, with EH2+ designation. I found RWC wheels sold by two local shops at least. One of the shops told me they had a 5-year history with supplier RWC and “no issues”.

My point is not to tout Nokian or RWC. I don’t have first-hand experience whether the Nokian Hakk R2s are that much better (or worse) that a competitor’s tire. I do not know if RWC wheels are as good as (or worse than) any other after-market wheel, and whether any of them can hold a candle to BMW OE wheels.

I meant this post to flag some decision points and options: run-flat winter tires yes or no, run-flat designated wheels yes or no, and “R” speed rated tires yes or no on a new BMW 328i xDrive sedan.

Safe winter driving all.

Last edited by BMW_Mouse; 10-27-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #191
bforbryan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Cdn company established by Fast wheels. Braelin is another name Fast wheels created as well.

Quality is questionable at best and don't expect them to last too long. They are normally made in China, gravity cast wheels. Some say the finish may last only a year or two due to salt and winter debris.

It looks like the wheels are made in China and then they are shipped to Canada for final machine drilling (bolt pattern) for the various needs for different cars, thus claiming the wheels are made in Canada.
Thank you very much Bobblehead. I have a dealership discount from a friend who works as a service manager and he suggested those. Not too sure how familiar he is with the brand hence my inquiry on the board. Although, I'm not looking to spend a fortune on Winter rims, I do want them to last and be transferable. I'll keep looking and be happy to hear any economical suggestions out there. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #192
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

If the clearcoat & paint do come off after 1 yr or so, you can have them powder coated for $750 or so (set of 4). Of course, you will then ask "What's the point of this, I would be better off by buying a more decent set to begin with".

TSW or Enkei may be a better alternative. Price them out to see if it meets your budget.

Quote:
Thank you very much Bobblehead. I have a dealership discount from a friend who works as a service manager and he suggested those. Not too sure how familiar he is with the brand hence my inquiry on the board. Although, I'm not looking to spend a fortune on Winter rims, I do want them to last and be transferable. I'll keep looking and be happy to hear any economical suggestions out there. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #193
malikphd
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xDrive

the new winter set up
replika r141a 18x8, 35 offset
XIce 3 225 45 18
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #194
malikphd
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

close up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #195
bforbryan
Private
Rep

Thanks Malik. They look nice actually. But I'm concerned about quality. What do you think of them so far and how's the fit? Does weight matter?

By the way anyone know of a tire/rims guide for dummies? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #196
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Just got the contis installed with BMW alloy wheels, set for the snow...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #197
malikphd
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Malik. They look nice actually. But I'm concerned about quality. What do you think of them so far and how's the fit? Does weight matter?

By the way anyone know of a tire/rims guide for dummies? Thanks.
I'm not too worried about the quality. I've used replicas for several cars without issue. Decent sidewall and being careful helps. Haven't cracked or bent a wheel yet (fingers crossed). For what it cost, if I did damage one and buy a new one id still be way ahead had I gone oem or high end aftermarket. So far so good. These are my winter wheels so I'm less concerned. Summer wheels different story.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #198
bforbryan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malikphd View Post
I'm not too worried about the quality. I've used replicas for several cars without issue. Decent sidewall and being careful helps. Haven't cracked or bent a wheel yet (fingers crossed). For what it cost, if I did damage one and buy a new one id still be way ahead had I gone oem or high end aftermarket. So far so good. These are my winter wheels so I'm less concerned. Summer wheels different story.
True. In your pic, those are the replicas? They even got M logos?
Appreciate 0