F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Please help... nasty smell....
Extreme Powerhouse

12-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Please help... nasty smell....

Hey,
I really need some advice on a problem I am having. I bough my car used from a bmw dealer and I am noticing now that I am using heat there is a rancid smell coming from the heater when it's blowing apx the same temp as the outside air. When the heater is cranking heat it's not so bad when the AC is on its not noticeable at all. However when the heat is on and its near the outside temp the smell is awful, smells like an old pair of shoes that have been worn for years and were left in a sealed gym bad for a few years.

What do I check, where do I look and how the F**** do i eliminate this.

Please help, I can't stand this smell I would rather freeze then run this heater. Fortunately it's warm enough here to get by without much heat but come on.... who wants to have a car with no heat. It's rather embarrassing when ppl are in the car and they look at you like your feet smell worse then the local dump.

Thanks..... I know someone here can help me out.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
anhizer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

There are a few things you can check- first thing I would do is open the hood and look in the cowl just underneath the windshield. This is usually where leaves/dirt/debris gather and is typically where the HVAC system pulls air in. Clean out everything & anything that is in there. Second thing to do is to replace the cabin air filter. Im not sure how to do this but im sure its not too difficult. Lastly, if the problem still persists you can buy some cleaner for the ducting, similar to this one: http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...freshener.html

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

How many miles you got? Probably time to change out your cabin air filter. I changed mine out and the funky smell went away.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Ichiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhizer View Post
There are a few things you can check- first thing I would do is open the hood and look in the cowl just underneath the windshield. This is usually where leaves/dirt/debris gather and is typically where the HVAC system pulls air in. Clean out everything & anything that is in there. Second thing to do is to replace the cabin air filter. Im not sure how to do this but im sure its not too difficult. Lastly, if the problem still persists you can buy some cleaner for the ducting, similar to this one: http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...freshener.html

Good luck.
+1 great advice from anhizer
The Einszett Klima is a fantastic product. You can also try a product called Glen 20 and spray it into your A/C intake vents at the bottom of the windscreen as you run the fans on high. It's an anti-bacterial spray and should help in eliminating the smell.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Thanks for the advice, I am going to find the cabin filter tonight. I appreciate the cleaner you suggested.

Ill update you when I find the issue.

I have 32k on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhizer View Post

Good luck.
+1 great advice from anhizer
The Einszett Klima is a fantastic product. You can also try a product called Glen 20 and spray it into your A/C intake vents at the bottom of the windscreen as you run the fans on high. It's an anti-bacterial spray and should help in eliminating the smell.
This ^. Used it on my fiance's car after changing the cabin filter etc. It was the only thing that got rid of the smell.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0