F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > 1st Aussie EB F30 M-Sport Thread
Extreme Powerhouse

10-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

1st Aussie EB F30 M-Sport Thread

Ok, so it's 1 day before I take delivery of my M-Sport 328i in Estoril Blue. Although I have been busy at work, I have been looking at the clock so often, it seems like today is dragging ON PURPOSE!!!

All systems go with an 0900 arrival at Bib Stillwell BMW, South Yarra tomorrow. Pay the man balance owing and go savour the moment when I first see my car.

I have my Nikon DSLR ready to go as well. Will take lots of photos & post them as soon as I can later in the day or the next day. I have relatives & friends who are keen to take a ride in my car, so they are the first priority.

It will be very interesting comparing my 325i E90, which still makes me smile driving it, especially in DS mode. It's a damn fast & responsive car, especially with the BMS piggyback giving it that extra push. It's up for sale on carsales.com.au priced a little too high, but that's ok. I'm testing the waters at the moment and will drop the price shortly. I hope it goes to a good home very soon.

It will be interesting to feel the AB comparison of the cars as I will still need to drive it from time to time during the selling perod, although I won't be pushing the F30 hard initially. Maybe a little, just quickly, so no one notices it.

Although this is my 4th new BMW from Stillwell BMW, I kind of know the drill, does anyone have any last minute words of advice? It's going to be a very exciting weekend for me, just like last week was for J1n.

Hurry up Saturday!!!
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Must be such an awesome sensation~! Congrats man and i'm sure I speak what's on everyone's mind.... TAKE HEAPS OF PHOTOS ~!!

Words of advice?... ummm how about "drive it like you stole it" haha ... jks aside, check the rust and other issues that have been previously reported and make sure yours isn't affected~!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
CrazyLatte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

PHOTOS!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
blt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

Hi David,

Just a couple of things which have cropped up on my car that you may want to check. These are mostly minor things, and you will know doubt forget them once you're up and running.

Knock or clunk from the front steering/suspension (mine was the right side) when going over a bump at a low speed and turning (left for me). More noticeable on sports mode, and hardly happens on potholes. Service reckons there is a bit more “give” than normal in the steering and a new rack is on order from Germany.

Brake pedal movement. Mine sometimes has a "loose" feel when taking your foot off the brake. You can notice it when you grab the pedal and move it from left to right. New brake pedal assembly is being ordered, again from Germany.

Slight rubbing noise coming from the steering wheel area, only noticeable when parking. Was easily fixed with a bit of grease and oil, or you could just crank up the sound.

Passenger side fog light was loose, and was easily fixed.

All the best with the delivery and have a great day!

Blt
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

WOO Im so excited for you.. Love that feeling going to pick up the car and the anticipation..

My routine is usually to go through the main components/problems I've listed at the dealer and when I get home and when emotions have settled, I will go through it in detail... such as paint defects, loose parts, test all the electronic components.

Do you mind sharing a contact at Bib, I'm looking to get some Perf parts fitted. Not sure if they'll have the same pricing at BMW Melb. but worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

It looks like you have enhanced connectivity, so if the dealer tries to offer you a "Y" cable, say no and ask for something more useful. The standard apple cable works much much better.
Make sure you have a cup holder cover on the centre console. Mine didn't, or at least that's how it appeared at the time. The dealer pinched another one from a display model. A couple of weeks later I found the original under the front seat.
Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
M-Sport328i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 328i

look forward to photos

My dealer told me the other day that my EB M Sport will be down in Canberra next week.....unfortunately I am away on business for a few weeks and cant collect until second week of November.. . Extended torture.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread. Almost time to head off to Stillwell and collect my car. LOTS more to come. Please be patient. Cheers.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
Do you mind sharing a contact at Bib, I'm looking to get some Perf parts fitted. Not sure if they'll have the same pricing at BMW Melb. but worth a shot.
I would suggest contacting Andrew at Southern BM for pricing. He will install & modify anything and everything BMW with the (BMW Perf & 3rd party)parts you want at very reasonable prices.

My only contact at Stillwell is my sales guy. I doubt he will do anything special. They just follow the book.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #10
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

Pics?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep

Probably won't hear from him for several days.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #12
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

So after a long, long Saturday 13th October 2012, just after midnight, I finally parked my car in our garage at home for the very first time. What a wonderful, surreal, at times 'foggy' (my perspective) day. Time to sleep as tomorrow is another fun day with my F30.
Thank you.

15 hours earlier:

Arrived at Stillwell BMW a little after 0900, dressed in my Estoril Blue T-Shirt or at least a very close match anyway. My wife and I were offered a drink upon arrival. After much debate as to what was suitable for 0915, we settled for water. Wait for Chris, our sales guy. Meanwhile, another Stillwell employee congratulates us on the car. He said it was stunning. Shortly thereafter our guy emerges from wherever he was. We don't waste any time in heading over to the car.

NOTHING, no description, no photos - no matter how well lit - can truly explain the WOW factor of the F30 clad in Estoril Blue paint. I will say that it is a standout from the crowd colour (and car). Even coming up behind a 745iL and an M3, my car later in the day, my car still stood out as so distinctive compared to those 2 flagship models. Just stunning.

So first, a long look at each & every panel of the car. I LOVE the bottom of the exterior mirrors in Piano black, teamed with the EB of the upper 3/4 of the cover. And to think I was considering the CF exterior mirror covers. No more!

Ahhhhh, Bridgestone tyres for my F30. Fantastic. Then I see the wheels. The word stunning is starting to lose its impact here, so let's use OMG for a bit (say it very, very slowly, one letter at a a time) but that's what the 19" M-Sport 403M wheels are. So imposing, matched perfectly with the Bridgestones. (Not thinking about the cost of replacing one of these tyres).

Every part of the car has been so beautifully designed and thought out. After waiting impatiently for 7 months and 4 days (I ordered the car on 9th March), all has been forgiven, making this day all the more exciting. Time for photos - see below. Then time to hop inside for a quick look. I sit in the driver's seat, my wife in the front passenger's and Chris in the back. Just a quick look before popping back to Chris' desk to fill out the paperwork & payment. One key fob has a small ///M keychain attached, the other an SMG keychain. I'm using the ///M one as my main fob.

Time for me to eat, so I chomp on some cut up fruit pieces I prepared before leaving home. They hit the spot as my head was already bouncing off the walls with excitement. I remember to ask about the BMW 360 offer. As I expected, it's for cars bought and delivered between 1st Sep & 31 Oct. Anyway, they will talk to BMW Australia on Monday to see if anything can be done. FF paperwork & balance of payment out of the way.

Time to have the induction lesson about the main features of the dash & iDrive etc. Back to the car we go, engage the ignition. 15kms on the odometer, specifically 15.1kms on the trip meter. That's what my STUNNING (there's that word again. I thought if I capitalised each letter it may improve its meaning today-it does!) 328i F30 M-Sport had on the clock when I first sat in the cockpit and lit up the dash. Ok, fine, to be expected, no worries.

Suddenly, I'm driving out of the dealership and off we go! then I hear tyre screeching - a number of them. No idea where they came from. Heavy traffic - then the cars in front of me move over to let me through. People on the footpath looking at my car, gasping. More tyre screeching. Everyone is letting me go in front of them in my 328i EB M-Sport, literally making way as quickly as possible as I approach them.

"Are you listening to me David?" asked Chris. "Please pay attention. This is important information for you!" Oh, yes, sorry Chris, I was daydreaming there for a bit."

So Chris explains the operational controls to me and I explain a few to him!!! After the lesson, it's time for a few more photos, customary handshakes and congratulatory & drive safe comments before leaving the dealership in my new car. If you have ever been to Stillwell BMW On Williams Rd, you will know how hard it is to turn right out of the dealership. Forget that today, let's go left.

Unfortunately, the other car drivers don't make way for me as I described above (my daydream past of the story) and we all drive in a formal order on the road. Nice morning, good weather.

I LOVE EcoPRO mode, especially along SLOW Malvern Rd. I LOVE comfort mode and I absolutely L O V E Sport mode. I do not have any issue with the 'light' steering feel in EP & C modes. I got used to it very quickly. Quite a lot of familiarity with switches from my E90. Heavy Saturday traffic, no matter which road I chose. Got it up to 70km/h along Dandenong Rd till I fought up with the traffic. LOTS of taxis. Oh yes, Caulfield spring racing carnival today.

Drove home, had more to eat, then sat in the car with my (almost) 22 year old son, Danny who is a super techno wiz. He setup certain parameters which were not previously done at the dealership as I wanted to customise them for me. No need for the manual, he just knows what to do.

I was excited about the DAB+ radio & hk system. We set up my favourite stations, make some tone & eq adjustments to the hk & crank up the techno music for a bit. No so hot. Try again with different settings. Again, I'm not feeling it. Disappointed. Keep trying. Maybe I should leave it & come back tomorrow. We notice that the extended BT with my iPhone had not been paired. Remove the current setup and Danny works out how to set both the phone & music together. Seconds later it was complete.

Tested out the music from the phone on my hk. Couple of songs & tests were all good. Move on to the next track - Fleetwood Mac's The Chain. Up the volume before starting the song. O M G. Suddenly the 16 speaker, 600 watt hk system sprung into life, the individual strings on the guitar came across the speakers loud & super crystal clear. "Listen to the wind blow" vocal were magnificent, bass was well defined and felt all over my body. The song boomed out of the speakers with great clarity. SUPERB!

So what's the big deal about stop/start? I think it's fine. I like it. For the most part, anyway.What I find a little disconcerting, just for a moment is the seatbelt tightens up as I drive away each time after I start up the car. Supposedly to take up any slack in belt tension. Something I have to get use to. Extended display is great with 3 little people icons lighting up green or red whether they are wearing seat belts or not. Yep, the reverse camera is very good but I like the lady's voice from my E90's navigation better than the F30's.

Head Up Display. If nothing else is selected, the minimum on screen display is digital speed. The spectacular M steering wheel has a scroll knob, when pressed adds the music display, showing playing station & other stations saved before and after in the list. If the navigation has been activated, it displays guidance info. Still lots to learn about it.

The rest of the day was taken up by showing family & friends my new toy. I have a few friends who really appreciate nice cars and none were disappointed, especially after such a long wait. So many points not covered but I will post my experiences with the car. So after a long, long Saturday 13th October 2012, just after midnight, I finally parked my car in our garage at home for the very first time.

I hope you enjoyed my short story and look forward to sharing many more posts with you.
Enjoy the photos

Cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

Very Nice~!!!! love the EBII colour~!

Love that M-Sport ass hahaha, and love the mini write up. glad to see it lives up to expectation
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep

Holy peacocks!! Yes, have to agree, the m-sport in EBII really is something special. Congratulations David. Not suprised you taught the sales person a few tricks
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
CrazyLatte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

wow!! that looks stunning! probably the best EB pics I've see!!
Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
M-Sport328i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 328i

oooooohhhhhhh......beautiful.......That is one gorgeous car David. Congratulations!!

Can't wait to see my EB in the flesh with it's Coral Red interior.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

just did a re-read on that David:
"I LOVE EcoPRO mode, especially along SLOW Malvern Rd"

you love the ecopro mode? I must confess I forgot to try this out on the demo when I tested the F30 (seems a lifetime ago)... but reading the other opinions on the main forum in regards to that eco pro mode and it seems many dislike it. Can you elaborate on your experience with it and why you love it?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #18
blt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

Congrats David and superb pics! EB looks fantastic and I can see why it would be a show stopper!

And I'm soooooo jealous, you got Bridgestones!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #19
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
just did a re-read on that David:
"I LOVE EcoPRO mode, especially along SLOW Malvern Rd"

you love the ecopro mode? I must confess I forgot to try this out on the demo when I tested the F30 (seems a lifetime ago)... but reading the other opinions on the main forum in regards to that eco pro mode and it seems many dislike it. Can you elaborate on your experience with it and why you love it?
Ok, so it's probably more me being cautious on day 1 than anything. My head was all over the place and yes, damn Melbourne weekend traffic is terribly SLOW.

The car starts off the line fairly gently in EP, even when you press down on the accelerator (until the kick switch). Not sure just yet, but maybe it starts in a higher gear than Comfort & Sport. It holds the higher gears longer, especially when coasting. This keeps the car moving (gliding) as opposed to changing down gears & using engine braking. This, in turn uses less fuel. I have been monitoring the instantaneous fuel consumption in the dash display.

By comparison, if I use Sport mode, the car moves to lower gears, causing engine braking & if I want to reach my destination a few meters ahead, I have to apply the accelerator to get there of course.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #20
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

Cool, thanks for the feedback David
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #21
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt View Post
And I'm soooooo jealous, you got Bridgestones!
blt, what'd your's come with?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #22
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

More photos for your viewing pleasure
Attached Images

Last edited by David328M-Sport; 10-15-2012 at 02:53 AM..
Appreciate 0