F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > In service date prior to purchase
Studio RSR

06-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
dr adequate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
In service date prior to purchase

So my ARTTI stopped working in January, which was almost 2 1/2 years after I bought the car brand new. At my next service date in March I asked the dealership to check into it. They told me that the subscription had expired and I could renew it through BMW. In addition they told me that my car in service date per BMW was in Jan 2014, 7 months before I bought it with 211 miles on the odometer. After speaking with my CA she said that BMW (not the dealership, although I'm not sure I believe them) for some unknown reason had put the car in service early and that they had extended the warranty by 3 months to April 2018 or 55k miles. CA also said I could bring it in to get the arrti working again because it must just be a software issue.
I am not thrilled at finding all this out after 2 1/2 years, but I haven't made a big deal of it yet because I will probably hit 55k before April 2018 so it probably doesn't really matter. Dealership told me yesterday that the connected services are expired and they won't fix it even though I haven't owned the car for 3 years yet (which is the time all the connected features should be free).
Needless to say I am not happy and although I love my car I doubt I would have bought this particular one had I known all of this beforehand.
Just curious what options, thoughts, opinions you guys have on what to do about it
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

It may have been a loaner or executive demo unit. But if it had over 200 miles they should have sold it as Elite CPO, so the warranty should be to 75k miles/6 years from in service date. Not sure how the connected drive service works in that case as I only am aware of the warranty. It could be that it is only from the in service date that it is 3 years regardless of when you brought it. I thought for new cars it is something like 4 years for connected drive though. If they sold it as new the benefit to that is you do get free maintenance though for your model year you would still get free maintenance for whatever remains.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Is it 200 miles in every state? More than likely a demo, lender or "exec" driven by someone at the dealership.

Do a Carfax & find out who registered it.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Is it 200 miles in every state? More than likely a demo, lender or "exec" driven by someone at the dealership.

Just my opinion it should be considered a used car at 200 miles, not sure if there's a requirement by law though I think there is. Not sure what the specific mileage is.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
It may have been a loaner or executive demo unit. But if it had over 200 miles they should have sold it as Elite CPO, so the warranty should be to 75k miles/6 years from in service date. Not sure how the connected drive service works in that case as I only am aware of the warranty. It could be that it is only from the in service date that it is 3 years regardless of when you brought it. I thought for new cars it is something like 4 years for connected drive though. If they sold it as new the benefit to that is you do get free maintenance though for your model year you would still get free maintenance for whatever remains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post

Some states do not require the dealership to "punch" the title to the car for an exec/demo model, and they can be sold as new. I bought a CPO loaner, and the car was registered previously to the dealership--loaners I see generally have between 3000 and 8000 miles on them. But there are plenty of posts here where people are looking at advertised demos or exec models or loaners that are being sold as new, with 100s or 1000s of miles already on them.

But--that doesn't change the date that BMW considers it "in-service". Shouldn't OP's original paperwork have stated this? If not, I'd push for the dealer to pay for a 1-year subscription to extend the services.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #6
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Some states do not require the dealership to "punch" the title to the car for an exec/demo model, and they can be sold as new. I bought a CPO loaner, and the car was registered previously to the dealership--loaners I see generally have between 3000 and 8000 miles on them. But there are plenty of posts here where people are looking at advertised demos or exec models or loaners that are being sold as new, with 100s or 1000s of miles already on them.

But--that doesn't change the date that BMW considers it "in-service". Shouldn't OP's original paperwork have stated this? If not, I'd push for the dealer to pay for a 1-year subscription to extend the services.
Mine was an exec demo but it had something like 30 miles on it in 3 months. They did disclose the in-service date so I have 3 months less warranty but I got a deal on it for what is essentially a new car. They should disclose in service date when you buy the car.
Appreciate 2
tex26702412.50
      06-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
dr adequate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I just checked my original paperwork. It was sold to me as new, with no mention of demo use or change in warranty of services.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr adequate View Post
I just checked my original paperwork. It was sold to me as new, with no mention of demo use or change in warranty of services.
The finance person is supposed to provide some sort of disclosure at purchase making sure you understand the in-service date is prior to the sale date. That was what happened with me, as well as some paperwork that you sign saying you're aware of this and also when the warranty expires. Especially if it's something like 7 months earlier.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr adequate View Post
Well--you said the warranty wasn't the issue, because they pushed it out, like they do with any new car. My first "new" car was delivered with 7 miles on it, and my paperwork stated that the warranty ran at 50,007 miles or 4 years from my purchase date. No new cars are delivered with 0 miles, so the warranty is always pushed out by the number of miles a new car is delivered with on the ODO.

What you want to look for is if there is any paperwork which states the connected services expiration date, or if an "in service" date is specifically stated in your contract. If not, then that dealer should be paying the cost for a 1-year extension of those services, IMHO.
Appreciate 0