F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Velos Designwerks ECU tune via OBD 2 for BMW F series vehicles
proTUNING Freaks

05-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Velos Designwerks ECU tune via OBD 2 for BMW F series vehicles

Hey Members,

Spring is here and we are offering our OBD2 Tuning Solution for the N2x engines. We will launch with special pricing for all forum members and then follow up with Spring Pricing for a limited time.

Velos Designwerks’ software engineers are able to communicate with the vehicle’s engine management systems carefully scrutinizing all areas of the control module in doing so our engineers acquire an understanding for what the powertrain is capable of delivering in terms of reliable power. The benefits to this method lie in the fact that all safety parameters instilled by the factory engineers are maintained and all other operation modules and computers such as traction control, stability management systems and transmission control modules are aware of the changes and thus are able to work harmoniously just as the factory intended. Velos Designwerks performance software has been at the forefront in terms of technology and strives to deliver exceptionally reliable, user friendly software packages for the daily driven luxury or exotic vehicle in your garage.

Velos Designwerks performance software key features include but are not limited to:

Improved Throttle Response
Re-calibrated settings for a smoother part throttle transitions
Re-calibrated settings for a smoother and more linear power delivery
Raised RPM thresholds (where applicable)
Increased Boost levels (where applicable)
Re-calibrations for end user’s available premium fuel (91/93oct. or 100oct)
Off road only/track use tunes available.
Top Speed Limiter removal
Exhaust burble & “pops” (where applicable)

Dyno:
Peak gains @3900 rpm / hp: +53 & tq: + 67 (+41 hp +55 tq to the rear wheels)
Car pictured has 335i rear valence and dual exhaust******

Some features will vary from vehicle to vehicle. Please do not hesitate to call us at 786-401-6520 or email us at info@velosdesignwerks.com with any question pertaining to your vehicle. Don’t forget to include year/make and model.

Last edited by carlos@velosdesignwerks; 05-31-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      05-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

How do you compare to your competitors? What does this have to offer over flash tunes and at what price?

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
How do you compare to your competitors? What does this have to offer over flash tunes and at what price?
Not sure what others have to offer other than some piggybacks that I have seen. The tune we offer is a full remap of the DME in which we read, edit and write to the vehicle (commonly known as a flash tune). We are also just a phone call/PM/email away to help with whatever a customer may need. I will PM you current early bird pricing.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen@velosdesignwerks View Post
Not sure what others have to offer other than some piggybacks that I have seen. The tune we offer is a full remap of the DME in which we read, edit and write to the vehicle (commonly known as a flash tune). We are also just a phone call/PM/email away to help with whatever a customer may need. I will PM you current early bird pricing.
Well, I'll mention probably the biggest one for the N2X is bootmod3 (BM3) from Protuning Freaks. After that would be Active Autowerke. MHD is around there for other engines and another big competitor. How do you stack up against them?
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Any other supporting features offered? Like datalogging, code reading/clearing, ability to customize basic variables, burble adjustments, VMAX removal, etc? I'm really interested to see another flash tune available for the N20, and equally interested to see what you guys have to offer .
      05-16-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

DYNO showing baseline and after flash

I dont get how even BM3 dont have this info. Being in the industry i thought it wouldnt be that difficult

Get your test car, dyno it, flash it, dyno it, flash it to stage 2, dyno it
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by x328x View Post

I dont get how even BM3 dont have this info. Being in the industry i thought it wouldnt be that difficult

You do know its not them that does or provides it right? They offer the product and its up to the Customers to provide the results if they wish.

Some people are cheap or don't care enough to pay for a dyno.

All the results are normally for the N55/S55/N63TU motors because theres alot more people that mod them and their motors can take the power. Not many people want to mod n20/n26 motors because they are fragile motors that can barely hold 300whp before it blows up.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:57 PM   #8
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
You do know its not them that does or provides it right? They offer the product and its up to the Customers to provide the results if they wish.

All the results are normally for the N55/S55/N63TU motors because theres alot more people that mod them and their motors can take the power. Not many people want to mod n20/n26 motors because they are fragile motors that can barely hold 300whp before it blows up.
I'm sure there are plenty of "fragile" N20's around on the verge of "blowing up" that would show 335i's their taillights at a stoplight (probably not yours with the mods you have but you get the point). N20s can take 300whp without issue, and drive home to tell the story.

You call it cheap, I consider not paying for a dyno smart savings, as I don't really care what kind of numbers my car puts down on a dyno, one can guess with reasonable accuracy for a stg. 1 tune. Dynos are good for marketing purposes, but for my car 1/4 mile times and seat of the pants feel is all I really need unless you're dealing with a real fast car that is making much more power than what you see from N20s. And most N20s that have substantial modifications have been dynoed. There's not much value in dynoing a car that is only running stage 1 unless it's for advertising like you said.

Last edited by rjd_F30; 05-17-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #9
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Don't want thread-jack though, let's keep talking about the Velos Designwerks tune.
      05-17-2018, 03:27 AM   #10
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post

Yes but they are offering a product that claims better response, more power, linear power etc so why not show us.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #11
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I'll mention probably the biggest one for the N2X is bootmod3 (BM3) from Protuning Freaks. After that would be Active Autowerke. MHD is around there for other engines and another big competitor. How do you stack up against them?
All great companies, confident on our gains and willing to do before and after for anyone local who doesn't mind their vehicle being shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Any other supporting features offered? Like datalogging, code reading/clearing, ability to customize basic variables, burble adjustments, VMAX removal, etc? I'm really interested to see another flash tune available for the N20, and equally interested to see what you guys have to offer .
Options such as burble, vmax removal & Downpipes for off road applications are available. Likewise, the dyno is big and will have this shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x328x View Post

Im sure the gains are on par with what they advertise but I agree we need the dyno chart and we are big supporters of it. Just need one that we can show.

Quote:
Don't want thread-jack though, let's keep talking about the Velos Designwerks tune.
A little off topic convo never hurt anyone.

On another note just got the go ahead to do 3 deeper deals for forums members. Shoot me a pm if interested and I will continue to work on getting a before and after for the members.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #12
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

sub
competition is great.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      05-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Are you flashing via ENet or CAN? I see it's OBD2 obviously, but which method?

Do you guys offer multiple stages for each flash?

What amount of boost are we seeing on a Stage 2 flash?

Caveating off another question, do you guys offer code reading and clearing capabilities?

Can you customize your maps at all or are they locked down completely?

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #14
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Love that you guys are confident in the product, and that there's some new competition in the flash tuning game for this platform like madmortar said.

Quote:

Caveating off another question, do you guys offer code reading and clearing capabilities?

+1 All good questions. We'd love to learn more about the tune and accompanying platform, and hopefully someone will want to be the guinea pig so we can get some real world impressions and/or dyno numbers.
      05-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #15
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

OBD2 via Can. Enet was the solution prior to new communication tools being available for this platform. For this vehicle we offer a stage 2 as standard mapping and a detuned stage 1 (believe us we get the request) and a stage 2+ for off road setup with DP. No end user modification or customization available and the tool is simply a communication tool that allows the end user to store their stock file, tuned file, and in some cases multiple files when or if necessary. Straight forward solution while staying within what we consider a headache free area.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #16
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Love that you guys are confident in the product, and that there's some new competition in the flash tuning game for this platform like madmortar said.

+1 All good questions. We'd love to learn more about the tune and accompanying platform, and hopefully someone will want to be the guinea pig so we can get some real world impressions and/or dyno numbers.
Would love to have a member on board, no guinea pigs though.. just straight forward results they will be able to enjoy
Appreciate 2
rjd_F301999.50
      05-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #17
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
OBD2 via Can. Enet was the solution prior to new communication tools being available for this platform. For this vehicle we offer a stage 2 as standard mapping and a detuned stage 1 (believe us we get the request) and a stage 2+ for off road setup with DP. No end user modification or customization available and the tool is simply a communication tool that allows the end user to store their stock file, tuned file, and in some cases multiple files when or if necessary. Straight forward solution while staying within what we consider a headache free area.
Is there a reason you went with CAN over ENet? I think it would've been cool if you guys had developed your same device, but with ENET in order to cut down on the ridiculous CAN times.

What about custom tunes? Any plans for that and being able to work with outside tuners?

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #18
nemobanks
Nemo banks
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 328i

Quote:
Would love to have a member on board, no guinea pigs though.. just straight forward results they will be able to enjoy
I live in Miami Full Bolt on 328i and active on the Forums . You can use my car my dme is already unlocked.
FBO N20, G-Plus Oil Cooler , Injen Cold Air Intake, MST turbo inlet, AFE Charge Pipe, BMS Oil Catch Can, Forged Motorsport Blow of Vavle, Wanger FMIC, Circuit Werkes Catless Downpipe, Full Straight 3inch exhuast. Stage 2 Active Auto Werke.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #19
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemobanks View Post
I live in Miami Full Bolt on 328i and active on the Forums . You can use my car my dme is already unlocked.
I think they're looking for people to buy it and not just use the car.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #20
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is there a reason you went with CAN over ENet? I think it would've been cool if you guys had developed your same device, but with ENET in order to cut down on the ridiculous CAN times.

The majority of our end users are not ‘hands on’ and have no problem. On this platform your total ‘time’ is under 30 minutes including the read stage as well as transferring the file to your PC and emailing it. The only platform I can think of that is what I would consider ridiculous is an E9X M3 and even then… Ultimately I see your position but we will be sticking this this method or bench for the few that still choose that (we do have clients that do it regularly, follow our IG for more on daily happenings).

What about custom tunes? Any plans for that and being able to work with outside tuners?
As of right now the focus on this platform is providing clients with a no worries solution for added power. Our plans are always open and our dealers and end users satisfaction is priority.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #21
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemobanks View Post
Hey I know we got one today we are working on but in the mean time shoot me a PM with the mods you have and will get back with you.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #22
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
I am interested in this tune as well.

The process sounds identical to my last tuned vehicle which used EFI Live.

Definitely holding out for a proper flash tune over a piggyback.
Appreciate 0