F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > "Additional phone" setup - bluetooth
Extreme Powerhouse

10-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Ravina
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i, 2007 e90 335i

"Additional phone" setup - bluetooth

When setting up my iphone with Bluetooth there is an item to check off for "additional phone". What is that for? To add to that I would like to add my Ipad in addition to my iphone so they are both connected. Is that possible. So ultimately I'd like kids to be able to play ipad audio over car audio but still have my iphone connected in case a phone call comes through. Is that possible?

Also, can my iphone be connected via cable and my ipad be connected via Bluetooth at the same time?

And lastly, if there are 2 iPhones in the car paired, will both be connected and receive calls over Bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Additional phone allows 2 phones to be paired at the same time. Making a call from the car will always use the primary phone.

If a call is received on either phone, the car can control the call (pick up, hang up, speakers and mic are active).

Yes, you should be able to connect both. Your phone will handle calls and you can play audio from the iPad via the CD/Multimedia function. The iPad (and phone) should show up as available for streaming.

iPhone via cable and iPad via Bluetooth should be ok, but I have not tried it to say for sure. I think if you connect your phone via the cable, it disables Bluetooth on the phone.

Yes, both phones can receive calls when one is designated as primary and the other as Additional. We use this feature all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Ravina
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i, 2007 e90 335i

That's great to hear Frogman, thanks. Can 2 iphones and the ipad be connected at the same time. I'm thinking no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Additional phone allows 2 phones to be paired at the same time. Making a call from the car will always use the primary phone.

If a call is received on either phone, the car can control the call (pick up, hang up, speakers and mic are active).

Yes, you should be able to connect both. Your phone will handle calls and you can play audio from the iPad via the CD/Multimedia function. The iPad (and phone) should show up as available for streaming.

iPhone via cable and iPad via Bluetooth should be ok, but I have not tried it to say for sure. I think if you connect your phone via the cable, it disables Bluetooth on the phone.

Yes, both phones can receive calls when one is designated as primary and the other as Additional. We use this feature all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravina View Post
That's great to hear Frogman, thanks. Can 2 iphones and the ipad be connected at the same time. I'm thinking no.
I just tried. At least for me (old NAV system), you can have multiple devices paired, but you can only have one active streaming Bluetooth device at a time.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Yeah, disables BT streaming from a phone if it's also plugged in the USB
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

I have two iPhones (work and personal) paired to my car.

Setup as follows:
Work: telephone
Personal: additional and audio

When I leave my work phone at home, and only have my personal phone with me, the cell signal strength does not display on the idrive and the phone book does not populate. I can make and receive phone calls though.

To get my address book and cell signal indicators back, I have to change the Bluetooth setup of my personal phone and remove the "additional" phone setting.

Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Stokkes
Grand Pumba
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi Sport Line (GS/Red)

Which phone did you pair first? Could be the issue. Maybe try removing both phones from the iDrive and then re-pair your "home" phone first, then your work one.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboi View Post

Setup as follows:

When I leave my work phone at home, and only have my personal phone with me, the cell signal strength does not display on the idrive and the phone book does not populate. I can make and receive phone calls though.

To get my address book and cell signal indicators back, I have to change the Bluetooth setup of my personal phone and remove the "additional" phone setting.

Is this normal?
Make your personal primary phone and audio... either by BT or usb. My setup is personal = primary and usb audio, work = secondary and BT audio
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboi View Post

Setup as follows:

Is this normal?
Make your personal primary phone and audio... either by BT or usb. My setup is personal = primary and usb audio, work = secondary and BT audio
Thank you for the reply.

I will place with the settings.
Appreciate 0