F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Monster Pothole Ripped off Lift Point
Studio RSR

07-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

Monster Pothole Ripped off Lift Point

I hit a major pothole the other day which caused the car to bottom out and rip off the lift point behind the front driver's tire. A bit of the plastic shielding and a metal part it attaches to peeled back which the dealership pinned back up along with the lift point.

I asked them to take a look at the suspension to make sure everything was okay and they said it was fine.

The car was actually brought in to perform the fuel pump recall and re-apply a trunk spoiler that was falling off (again). Part of me feels like they didn't even look at the suspension and just said everything was fine.

I've noticed the two following issues:

1) Noise from driver's side rear tire well when getting into or out of the car. Sounds like a squeaking spring.

2) When going over low speed bumps it sounds like there is "air escaping" from the front driver's side. It sounds cheap like an old Buick bouncing over bumps. Is this normal?

What are some parts that could be causing this issue? I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow to schedule a date to bring it in but I would appreciate if anyone could provide any insight that would better prepare me to make sure this is taken care of by the dealer.

Car tracks straight, some slight vibrations coming through are probably bent wheels which I won't be fixing at nearly $200 a pop...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:31 PM   #2
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHL102 View Post
I hit a major pothole the other day which caused the car to bottom out and rip off the lift point behind the front driver's tire. A bit of the plastic shielding and a metal part it attaches to peeled back which the dealership pinned back up along with the lift point.

I asked them to take a look at the suspension to make sure everything was okay and they said it was fine.

The car was actually brought in to perform the fuel pump recall and re-apply a trunk spoiler that was falling off (again). Part of me feels like they didn't even look at the suspension and just said everything was fine.

I've noticed the two following issues:

1) Noise from driver's side rear tire well when getting into or out of the car. Sounds like a squeaking spring.

2) When going over low speed bumps it sounds like there is "air escaping" from the front driver's side. It sounds cheap like an old Buick bouncing over bumps. Is this normal?

What are some parts that could be causing this issue? I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow to schedule a date to bring it in but I would appreciate if anyone could provide any insight that would better prepare me to make sure this is taken care of by the dealer.

Car tracks straight, some slight vibrations coming through are probably bent wheels which I won't be fixing at nearly $200 a pop...
1) That's normal. It's the parking brake. Just pull it up some more.

2) Normal. Sounds like the shocks. Should be coming from all four corners.

If you don't feel anything while driving, I wouldn't worry about anything. Just take it easy and bring it in to the dealer. I'm sure they will confirm what I just stated.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
fshubert
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

That was some pothole!!! Hope all is well.
      07-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
I can't see driving it with a bent wheel. The vibration at speed alone would drive me crazy and probably cause the tire to wear prematurely and 'funny'. At the very least, have it removed and checked at a tire shop (or dealer) to see if its still in balance or it it does indeed wobble. If it's minor enough, maybe additional wheel weights could be a cheap bandaid for now........
      07-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
I can't see driving it with a bent wheel. The vibration at speed alone would drive me crazy and probably cause the tire to wear prematurely and 'funny'. At the very least, have it removed and checked at a tire shop (or dealer) to see if its still in balance or it it does indeed wobble. If it's minor enough, maybe additional wheel weights could be a cheap bandaid for now........
Vibrations are very minor. I think the SA said he had balanced them as best as possible. I had bent rims in my old W204 that weremuch worse - I would feel fatigued just holding the wheel! That needed fixing regardless of cost. Inc omparison, this is very minor and is generally indiscernible from driving on imperfect roads (everywhere in NJ). At $180 a wheel I would rather invest in a set of winter wheels down the road or a gently used set.

LaBeef - Thanks for the input. I haven't noticed the parking brake squeak/rattle again.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #6
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshubert View Post
That was some pothole!!! Hope all is well.
Agreed.

now, OP, you said metal was ripped off the jack point? Now, to be clear, the jackpoint most people see and refer to is the pinch welds for the rocker and floor. There's nothing covering those. now the lift point for a shop lift are under plastic covers under the car, guessing that's what you are referring to, hopefully the metal was just a clip/attachment and not the body of the car.

I think when a pothole causes the car to bottom out on the road it is officially categorized as a "crater". I hope you reported that to the road department, that's a major safety issue.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #7
325MBKK
F30 -> F80 Conversion
Thailand
Rep
Drives: F30 325d

Fixing the bent wheel and checking the suspension would be my number one priority. Just a major safety issue in my opinion.
      07-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #8
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
Agreed.

now, OP, you said metal was ripped off the jack point? Now, to be clear, the jackpoint most people see and refer to is the pinch welds for the rocker and floor. There's nothing covering those. now the lift point for a shop lift are under plastic covers under the car, guessing that's what you are referring to, hopefully the metal was just a clip/attachment and not the body of the car.

I think when a pothole causes the car to bottom out on the road it is officially categorized as a "crater". I hope you reported that to the road department, that's a major safety issue.
I actually meant the jack point, the SA referred to it as the "lift pad". It is the little rubber block that is used for the spare tire jack. One behind each front wheel and in front of each rear wheel. This was hanging off the bottom of the car. Immediately behind it, the first plastic rivet that fits into a metal part (of the body I assume) popped loose and caused the plastic cover to come loose. The metal part that it plugged into was bent. The actual bend was about the size of a thumbnail, the part seems to be part of the body. I can take a picture, maybe someone here can identify the part.

Bent wheels were not covered under T&W protection, although I've had 1 or 2 covered in the past due to bends. Two tires were replaced for bubbles.

I asked the SA to check the suspension as well and they did not find anything wrong with it, which I found a little hard to believe considering the hit the car took. They are a busy dealer, but I can't imagine any dealer would deliberately ignore something they could bill for. If what Labeef said about the two issues I mentioned are true, then maybe it's just me worrying.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHL102 View Post
I actually meant the jack point, the SA referred to it as the "lift pad". It is the little rubber block that is used for the spare tire jack. One behind each front wheel and in front of each rear wheel. This was hanging off the bottom of the car. Immediately behind it, the first plastic rivet that fits into a metal part (of the body I assume) popped loose and caused the plastic cover to come loose. The metal part that it plugged into was bent. The actual bend was about the size of a thumbnail, the part seems to be part of the body. I can take a picture, maybe someone here can identify the part..
I've sheared a few of those off on my E92.. they look the same on the F3X.. You can get them from the parts department, they will pop back in with a bit of persuasion. I call them sacrificial anodes, well designed to take the hit and damage and still leave the underside frame rail and rocker panel intact. As I recall, they aren't very expensive. Typically if they hit, the pothole is long and abrupt at the near end, so there is hope that the outbound slope is gentler and more wheel friendly..