F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Replacing Side View Mirror Glass
GetBMWParts

04-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Replacing Side View Mirror Glass

Hi,

I am changing out the side view mirrors on my F30, but need some help.

I know I have to pry the old mirror out of the holder and have a plastic pry tool to do so. My question is what do I pry?
* Do I pry behind the mirror itself (in front of the lip) (#2 in the attached picture) OR
* Do I pry behind the lip (#1 in the picture)?

I know that it will take some force to pry them loose, but just am concerned that I don't mistakenly break something

Again, appreciate your help

Thank you very much
Attached Images

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic
Hi,

I am changing out the side view mirrors on my F30, but need some help.

I know I have to pry the old mirror out of the holder and have a plastic pry tool to do so. My question is what do I pry?
* Do I pry behind the mirror itself (in front of the lip) (#2 in the attached picture) OR
* Do I pry behind the lip (#1 in the picture)?

I know that it will take some force to pry them loose, but just am concerned that I don't mistakenly break something

Again, appreciate your help

Thank you very much
I successfully remove mirrors on two E60s but did not use a pry tool. I looped a string ( it might have been several strands of dental floss) and pulled evenly on both ends. I did this on the right side of the mirror, top to bottom.
Good luck.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmink View Post
I successfully remove mirrors on two E60s but did not use a pry tool. I looped a string ( it might have been several strands of dental floss) and pulled evenly on both ends. I did this on the right side of the mirror, top to bottom.
Good luck.
ChazMink,

Terrific idea; did you go behind the lip of the plate that the mirror is mounted on?

Thank you very much

BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good luck.
ChazMink,

Terrific idea; did you go behind the lip of the plate that the mirror is mounted on?

Thank you very much
I looped the string around the right edge, then slid it to the left (both top and bottom) about two inches as I recall. There are wires connected to the mirror so you really don't have to worry about it falling when it pops out of the socket. Just pull evenly and steadily on the string.

Are you installing an aspherical mirror?

Good luck.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
I looped the string around the right edge, then slid it to the left (both top and bottom) about two inches as I recall. There are wires connected to the mirror so you really don't have to worry about it falling when it pops out of the socket. Just pull evenly and steadily on the string.

Good luck.
Chazmink,

Sure am; picked up a set that are auto dim, heated and aspherical from an eBay seller in Lithunia (USWomanSeller) and they are in terrific condition.

BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
picked up a set that are auto dim, heated and aspherical from an eBay seller in Lithunia (USWomanSeller) and they are in terrific condition.
Mind posting some comparison photos? I was thinking about this for the longest time and would think this would be a useful mod, even though I set the mirrors far out.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck.
Chazmink,

Sure am; picked up a set that are auto dim, heated and aspherical from an eBay seller in Lithunia (USWomanSeller) and they are in terrific condition.
Cool. I was considering doing the same but was concerned that the connections might be different since I had Driver's Assistance Plus with blind spot warning. I vaguely remember reading that somewhere but never fully sorted it out.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #8
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
Mind posting some comparison photos? I was thinking about this for the longest time and would think this would be a useful mod, even though I set the mirrors far out.
Timbit93,

Even though I also set mirrors far out, I always am concerned with blind spots (and am not ready for the blind spot detection system), I saw that you can these for F30. Of course, new (even through ECS Tuning) the cost was quite steep, but I as I said above, I found these on eBay and they are in terrific condition.

Sorry, I do not have them mounted yet, but please see attached picture.

Hope that helps
Attached Images

BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
Timbit93,

Sorry for being tardy in providing a complete response, but got busy and didn't get around to swapping out the mirrors and taking pictures.

Indeed, the old mirrors came out with the lip/rim; then all that was to be done for the new mirrors was to connect the heater (two lines) and auto dim and snap the new mirror in.

The BEFORE (Conventional) picture is first, followed by the AFTER (Aspherical) -- unfortunately, I didn't take them on the same day, but believe you can see the difference quite well. Please note that you can see the side of our other car parked in the garage (Blue Mini); also have noticed that I can see a car in the mirror now that used to be a dead spot.
Attached Images

BMW CCA
Appreciate 0