F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Who's Getting A 335i M-sport?
ARMA SPEED

11-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #67
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Hovering around the 20s is just depressing. It's what prompted me to get rid of the MPS even though I've loved this car more than any of the other twenty or so I've had.

my old man's about to retire and looking to buy his "dream car" to keep for the foreseeable future. He's currently favouring a Porsche Panamera to replace his 530DGT and whilst it's an epic car, 20mpg has gotta grate over the years ... but then you consider cruising to his house in the Dordogne in a Panamera and suddenly it makes sense
Been their and got the t-shirt, yes it does "grate" even when you can easily afford it, I remember when I bought the M6 and the wife never usually drives my cars so does not know just how much they cost me, however on this occasion she needed to use the M6 which had just been brimmed ( she was with me at the time) anyway 240Miles later she was on the phone in London saying " the car's packed up, it's dead and the fuel gauge reads zero".
I said you've run it out of fuel, she hit the roof, after getting it sorted she never asked to use the car ever again and at very filling station "I got it in the neck" It had to go soon after for piece of mind and the fact I was going deaf.
These cars are great BUT the times they get "stretched" in a year you can count on one hand and they end up a status symbol rather than a usable tool. Yes I can run them but I ask myself WHY now when most cars can do 70/90 MPH!!! without having one eye in the rearview mirror.
      11-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #68
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
It is said that a good driver can save up to 35% on fuel, compared to a bad driver, over the same route.

A European study on reducung fuel consumption, concluded the biggest fuel savings could be made by 'driver training' on how to drive for fuel efficiency.

So many variables, but we still read across the forums, magazines, etc., "my car doesn't get the mpg the manufacturer states....", as if there is one rate of consumption.

I still come across folks who don't grasp electrical load uses fuel.

HighlandPete
Or a really good driver can use 35% more fuel on a fast run

Quote:
Why I oughta put you over my knee and spank yo' ass. In a purely parental way, you understand, not ... you know ... gay or owt.
Wha
      11-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #69
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Or a really good driver can use 35% more fuel on a fast run
There's an interesting twist on it. Shame that is not the only reason for poor economy.

I remember an old lady driver who used the whole rev range, all the time, but hardy went over 30mph. I wonder if her car ever used 3rd gear.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #70
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Wha
Well I is not a batty innit.
      11-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #71
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

I considered getting the 335i. My purchase is for personal use, so was weighing it up, albeit briefly.

But it's true you look at the figures on paper and performance wise there's hardly anything in it.

I was advised only to get the diesel if you do the miles or if the diesel is cheaper to buy than the petrol.

After joining this forum, people saying the pickup/torque on the 30d day to day is a lot more noticeable/effortless. My mind was made up.

I plan to do a few road trips when I get my 330d. I think if I had the petrol, it would 'grate' on me too having to plan ahead for fuel stops.

Watching the fuel gauge waving goodbye to a full tank of petrol
      11-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #72
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Well I is not a batty innit.
True, a few other things do spring to mind

Have you sold you Mazda yet btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
I considered getting the 335i. My purchase is for personal use, so was weighing it up, albeit briefly.

But it's true you look at the figures on paper and performance wise there's hardly anything in it.

I was advised only to get the diesel if you do the miles or if the diesel is cheaper to buy than the petrol.

After joining this forum, people saying the pickup/torque on the 30d day to day is a lot more noticeable/effortless. My mind was made up.

I plan to do a few road trips when I get my 330d. I think if I had the petrol, it would 'grate' on me too having to plan ahead for fuel stops.

Watching the fuel gauge waving goodbye to a full tank of petrol
I think thats the misconception - the 35is are getting are getting fuel consumption, but will never get anywhere near the same as a 30d.

You have made a great choice and i love the 30d. The only niggles i had were lack of revs, diesel tingle, and the noise when cold. But the huge torque and mpg made up for that.

I think in a way the 330d is an great GT. Bu then as the 35i is getting 40 mpg on a crusie...that too can GT very well.
      11-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #73
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Have you sold your Mazda yet btw?
Not yet mate. It comes back from Northumberland this week

Anyh00 - I think one thing we can all definitely agree on is that the latest gen of BMW engines are all amazing. All of them.
      11-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #74
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

I know the 35i can get very good fuel consumption. Stating the obvious now, but depending on the way you drive it can vary a lot.

The way I drive, I don't really pay attention to the mpg and I think the performance/economy of the diesel suits my driving behaviour more.

As in I probably appreciate the torque and economy more in the diesel over the performance and sound of the petrol, 99% of the time.

EDIT: But still no one getting a 35i?
      11-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #75
simon_e
Rep
Drives: 3 series coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
I know the 35i can get very good fuel consumption. Stating the obvious now, but depending on the way you drive it can vary a lot.

The way I drive, I don't really pay attention to the mpg and I think the performance/economy of the diesel suits my driving behaviour more.

As in I probably appreciate the torque and economy more in the diesel over the performance and sound of the petrol, 99% of the time.

EDIT: But still no one getting a 35i?
yes - as per previous post 335i M Sport on order! really looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #76
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Hi guys,

Just my '2 cents on 35i vs 30d:

I currently have a 135i, and have just ordered an F30 330d. Recent car history is MINI Cooper S Works (JCW), E92 335d, E82 123d, E82 135i.

I needed to look for a new car that was more practical for family reasons (bigger in the back, 4 doors), and the F30 is really the first 4-door car I have ever liked or considered. I borrowed a 330d last weekend before I ordered; and while it lacked the out-and-out pace of both my 135i and 335d when flooring it, in normal driving it still felt very capable; and the F30 vs both the E92 and E82 is just night and day, the quality, ride and refinement is so, so much better.

Obviously the 335i is a slight step away from the 135i/M135i as far as it's perhaps not (intended to be) quite as raw or focused, but most of this will apply to both.

I love the 135i, its sound on cold start up, and when pushing on, is fantastic; its very exciting, rewarding, so smooth, quiet, and it's definitely a more involving drive - perhaps just due to the sound, and the fact you have to work a bit harder to get the best out of it (though it does have a good amount of torque for its type of engine, just a lot less than the 335d or new 330d, so it's a different driving experience [that some will prefer]).

Though I absolutely loved whizzing around in it when in the mood, there were a few things that I didn't like, when compared with my previous 335d (and also the new 330d, as the engines are now so similar):-

-Straight away I missed all the torque of the big diesel engine. Because that diesel 'shove in the back' just wasn't there, it never felt that fast to me; though there is no doubt it was actually faster. It also took more effort to eg overtake at normal speeds; it lacked the effortlessness of the 335d; though obviously it's all just relative and comparative - it was a very fast car, and 'effortless' for a similar petrol engine

-It's just more relaxing to drive in the 335d/330d. Because of all the torque, it's easier to just have a 'normal' drive, while still having a lot of power to motor on when you want to. In the 135i, though it was relatively easy to drive slowly and normally compared with other similar petrol engines without the 135i's torque and turbo(s), it was more difficult for me personally, to drive it in a 'normal', calm manner. When overtaking, I always felt a bit conscious because of all the noise the car makes on the outside, even when not completely flooring it. I didn't want to give any old dears a heart attack - I just wanted to be going a bit quicker than they did! That sound and character of the engine is, of course, what drew me to the 135i in the first place (from the 335d), but I realised I actually missed the 335d when I got it (the 335d was my first diesel, and my first auto;?both being revelations). Sometimes you don't want to be tearing around all over the place; sometimes you just want to have a nice leisurely drive, without any drama, and - though possible to achieve - that's not really what the 135i was about, so it didn't suit that style of driving as well. For me (it won't be the same for everyone), I felt like the engine was encouraging me due to its character and sound; and I found myself driving no differently to how I would in my Cooper S at age 18; which to be honest, I didn't really find fun or fulfilling anymore, and which wasn't always appropriate!

-With the 335d and now 330d, I feel it's a good compromise: 'waftability', refinement and effortlessness when you want it, but also some decent grunt (and actually a pretty nice, meaty, muted roar under hard acceleration, which s particularly nice for a diesel!), I feel it's a much better all-rounder, and a lot more flexible, while still having a very sporty edge

-Specific to the 135i (not 335i) going to any F30: as well as the practicality, my needs and priorities have really changed recently. For over 10 years I've had hard, bumpy suspension, I've had suspension and engines tuned and modified etc (in my Mini), and I feel I'm personally done with tearing around all over the place. I now feel I want a bit more comfort and 'luxury' when driving about, but still with the option to have some fun, and the power to be able to get around others - or manage situations - as I've always been used to, if the need arises. I've spec'd the Adaptive M Sport suspension in the 330d, which I'm hoping will give me a very comfortable and compliant ride in Comfort mode, but will then transform the car when in Sport mode, when I'm in the mood. But I just want the choice now.

Obviously this won't be the same for everyone, but this is my personal experience and my own personal views on the cars, and what I want from a car now. Both are brilliant and exceptional cars and engines, but are just very different.

I loved the 135i, and will be sorry to see it go; but, for me, it's time to move on, and I'm sure that the fantastic new F30 - particularly with the Adaptive Suspension - will be the best of both worlds for me. And obviously the significant improvement in fuel consumption will be a nice bonus! The emissions @ 129 are also ridiculous for the size and performance of the engine - what an achievement! It's not just economy that draws people (including me) to Diesel engines now; it's also the torque difference, and with BMW Diesel engines being so responsive and sporty, and even sounding pretty nice, there are even fewer advantages to getting the petrol equivalent now, than there used to be. For me, a big 6-cylinder diesel is the way to go, and they'll only keep getting better!

Last edited by MarkW83; 11-18-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #77
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

From what you have described, sounds like you did the right thing, especially with adaptive. Have you gone for variable sports steering too?

I agree like you, I'm done with revving the nuts off cars to get performance from it. Nothing wrong with a high revving petrol engine and they do sound better but day to day, a diesel is easier to live with 95% of the time IMO in terms of performance on tap.

Interesting to hear the 335d still felt a bit quicker than a F30 330d despite the 330d 0-60 being quicker. To be expected though as the bhp and torque is more in the 335d.

Last edited by dopper99; 11-18-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #78
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
From what you have described, sounds like you did the right thing, especially with adaptive. Have you gone for variable sports steering too?

I agree like you, I'm done with revving the nuts off cars to get performance from it. Nothing wrong with a high revving petrol engine and they do sound better but day to day, a diesel is easier to live with 95% of the time IMO in terms of performance on tap.

Interesting to hear the 335d still felt a bit quicker than a F30 330d despite the 330d 0-60 being quicker. To be expected though as the bhp and torque is more in the 335d.
No I didn't go for the VSS, did a lot of research on it and it seemed to only really make a difference when the wheel is turned past a certain point, and is mainly for very tight turns and also parking, so I didn't think there'd be much of a benefit, had to rein in the options somewhere!!

Definitely; the 35i engine is sublime - it was a nice change for me from the diesel - but in the end, the diesel engine's advantages far outweighed the petrol's advantages. I will feel like I'm coming home with the diesel I think, I really missed the 335d when it went. I tried to convince myself that the sound and responsiveness made up for it, but in the end, it didn't.

Yes definitely, the 330d didn't push you back in the seat half as much when in kick-down. As well as the smallish difference in bhp, and even smaller difference in torque; with the 330d getting significantly better mpg (57 vs 42 for the 335d), I guess the engine may be set up differently to be ale to achieve that mpg? Again, the 0-60 puts the 330d significantly quicker than the 335d (5.6 vs 5.9, and actually mine was the old pre-Efficient Dynamics 335d, which I believe was even slower than that), so the figures speak for themselves; but simply from its power delivery, and the feeling it gave you, subjectively, it didn't feel as urgent. But at lower speeds and lower revs, unless kicking-down, I'd say it was pretty much identical.

All in all, I think I'd still have got the 330d this time even if a new 335d was available; it seems a brilliant compromise!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #79
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for sharing dude. It's nice to hear from someone with first hand experience of so many engines
      11-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #80
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Mark a very intune and personal write up, I am pretty sure most of us have experienced your views at some point ... as Maestro says ... thanks for sharing dude!

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #81
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

No worries guys! The engines are just both very different, but so close in actual performance, that it's difficult to choose between them; but in my opinion the diesel has a lot more benefits than just the extra economy Both great engines in their own right, but just for different sorts of drivers I guess!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #82
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
No worries guys! The engines are just both very different, but so close in actual performance, that it's difficult to choose between them; but in my opinion the diesel has a lot more benefits than just the extra economy Both great engines in their own right, but just for different sorts of drivers I guess!
Yep agree with your findings.
Everyday driving Diesel all the way.