F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Upgrading turbo without upgrading downpipe/exhaust
ARMA SPEED

02-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M Sport 6MT

Upgrading turbo without upgrading downpipe/exhaust

By next week I will have ordered the Wagner Evo2 Comp FMIC and ER charge pipes which, for the most part, will complete my bolt on power mods of the BPC flash tune and M Performance Exhaust (more about sound I know...). Currently, the sound of the car is PERFECT for me and I definitely do not want to increase the sound or change the tone at all. Towards the end of Summer I'm brain storming about upgrading the factory turbo to something like the Dinan (or other top quality brand) turbo to pick up some power at the top end of the rev range. As I stated earlier, I do NOT want to do a downpipe or other modification that will increase the sound anymore on the car and I realize I won't be able to make as much power with a new turbo (car would of course be retuned after the new turbo). Has anyone went this route and can you provide some before/after feedback?
*M Performance Big Brake Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Stock cats aren't too bad these days. It will be fine with plenty to gain. Make sure you get the Pure stage 2 which is the only aftermarket turbo with an upgraded turbine. Any of the others and you'll end up with way too much exhaust back pressure from the combo of stock-sized turbine and stock cat.
Appreciate 1
x328x275.50
      02-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy5 View Post
By next week I will have ordered the Wagner Evo2 Comp FMIC and ER charge pipes which, for the most part, will complete my bolt on power mods of the BPC flash tune and M Performance Exhaust (more about sound I know...). Currently, the sound of the car is PERFECT for me and I definitely do not want to increase the sound or change the tone at all. Towards the end of Summer I'm brain storming about upgrading the factory turbo to something like the Dinan (or other top quality brand) turbo to pick up some power at the top end of the rev range. As I stated earlier, I do NOT want to do a downpipe or other modification that will increase the sound anymore on the car and I realize I won't be able to make as much power with a new turbo (car would of course be retuned after the new turbo). Has anyone went this route and can you provide some before/after feedback?
I would upgrade the downpipe, but you will be fine with the factory catback
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 12:36 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I would do catted downpipe for better flow without major sound increase

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0