F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > CG vs Akrapovic
proTUNING Freaks

12-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

CG vs Akrapovic

Hey guys,

Can you give input about which exhaust in your opinion is better? I am slightly indecisive on what I might install during summer and I need to choose now so I clear it up with my dad.

Thanks
      12-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
ShlemonboostedM
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Akrapovich sound ... I would go with akropovich if I had to choose between those too .. Ps. ( I got meisterschaft Super GT for sale if you interested in that too steal of a deal )
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

i would go with CG
      12-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: M2C

I got the Akra. Love the sound, about 3 dB above the oem in comfort, just enough not to get tired from listening to it.
In sport you really wake it up.
It has no drone in any of the modes !
/Krelle
      12-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

The Akrapovic is definitely the leader for the best sound
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
CG Precision
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

I think CG has the best sounding and engineered exhaust! Haha

We have quite a few guys on here running our system. Do a quick search and read the reviews for yourself. I think you will get all the info you need!

We love the competition and are flattered that our small company is being compared to such an great, large company, such as the one mentioned in this post. So thank you very much!

And to the guys at Vivid.....we are only a a few miles down the road from you guys! We should meet up. You maaayyyyyy just change your mind.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

Running an Akra myself and quite like it. That said, it is really nice to see CG Precision on this forum and producing a product that compares favourably. Good on you!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

I think both are overpriced. $2k for a cat-back is just stupid. But, I guess that goes with the standard BS that you overpay for anything related to German cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
henkherrie
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2016 M140i

Hi guys,

New here, recently bought a 2012 335i. First mod is an Akrapovic, received it yesterday.
Here some quick pics:

Going to install it this saturday, will make some pics (and movies).
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep

i haven't heard Akra in person but know some people dislikes it as its not loud relative to him/us teenagers so i think it might be not the best if you like to go racing/autocross.

maybe it may sound good with downpipe
      12-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

Don't agree about loudness. When in sport mode and really wailing on it, it sounds the business with fabulous pops on upshifts. It is quiet on the freeway in comfort mode - isn't that the best of both worlds? Who wants drone on the freeway for hours on end?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
ilyabarankevich
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16" M135I / White / Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderuud View Post
Hi guys,

New here, recently bought a 2012 335i. First mod is an Akrapovic, received it yesterday.
Here some quick pics:

[img]http://duderuud.motor-forum.nl/BMW/Akra1.jpg[/img

Going to install it this saturday, will make some pics (and movies).

I want it,!!!!!
      12-19-2014, 03:52 AM   #13
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Don't agree about loudness. When in sport mode and really wailing on it, it sounds the business with fabulous pops on upshifts. It is quiet on the freeway in comfort mode - isn't that the best of both worlds? Who wants drone on the freeway for hours on end?
i have IPE and it doesn't drone even in open mode which is literally straight piped it doesn't drone unless you pass 50-60% throttle on high gears with low rpm.

and in closed mode it doesn't drone ever.

its like having comfort mode and Track mode
but the problem with it is you can't have something in between its either stock sound (comfort) or track race loudness.
      12-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #14
CG Precision
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Hi guys,

In case you are not familiar with our setup, hopefully this will answer some questions.

- Our system was designed as the only true 3.5" system from the cat connection back, with no kinks or crushing of the piping. It comes with a CNC V band adapter flange to mate to the factory DP, but when used with our DP it fully eliminates the restriction of the factory size piping and becomes a true 4" to 3.5" exhaust system.

- We recently released our catless DP and will be releasing a superior flowing catted DP in the months to come, after we have finished our testing.

- Our system was designed with 3D exhaust flow simulation (see below) in both open and closed modes to create a very free flowing system with a sporty sound worthy of the racetrack when open but subtle and stealth while closed.

- Because we tune the muffler to have 15% of the exhaust gas, of certain sound frequencies, muffled when the exhaust valve is open, there is virtually no drone even when the valve is open (See flow analysis below)

- Like the Akrapovic, our system can use the factory Comfort, Sport / S+ settings.

- We have also engineered a controller for the electronic valve (the VSC-1) so you can open or close the valve any time you want.

Exhaust sound is subjective and everyone has their own favorite. If you are looking for a very racy sound, but not obnoxiously loud, with the highest flow possible, and ability to control the exhaust valve, we think you would really enjoy what our system offers. Good luck with your decision and your build! Here is the flow analysis:

Appreciate 1
      12-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #15
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1 MSport

That was highly educational, Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #16
JMcQueen
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport

On sound alone I think the Capristo sounds the best.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #17
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: M2C

Capristo is nice and has many features but only fit the 428i and 435i.
I checked this before buying Akrapovic.
Krelle
      12-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #18
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I was split between Meisterschaft GTC-EV and Akrapovic. I researched multiple vendors, there seems to be missing pieces from the "base price" on both units. For the Meisterschaft - you need the AR piece to make a complete "cat-back" system. For the Akra, you would need the "link pipe". Adding those, both systems went over $3000. I like the deep loud note and 102mm dual tips of the Meisterschaft. I like the carbon fiber tips of the Akra but the sound is a bit raspy for me. If you like to control the valve, Meisterschaft gives you that option, Akra is ECU controlled.

Due to the annoyance of the previous 2 units' pricing scheme; I decided on the CG unit after viewing some members videos. It comes with 2 remotes to control the valve. The sound note is perfect! low but not raspy. Not that crazy loud; drones a bit at 1500-3000rpm, but that is ok by me - I need to know I have an aftermarket exhaust system. Afterall, who buys exhaust for HP? - if you buy for looks, then just buy the Cyba tips. CG's dual tips is just a little bigger (maybe 3-4mm?) than my old Sport exhaust tips. The manual is detailed enough for you to install yourself. This adds a whole new level of driving exitement - I dig it!

Last edited by _bdiddyb_; 12-22-2014 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #19
cjack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435X, EBII, 6MT, PPK + 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_
I was split between Meisterschaft GTC-EV and Akrapovic. I researched multiple vendors, there seems to be missing pieces from the "base price" on both units. For the Meisterschaft - you need the AR piece to make a complete "cat-back" system. For the Akra, you would need the "link pipe". Adding those, both systems went over $3000. I like the deep loud note and 102mm dual tips of the Meisterschaft. I like the carbon fiber tips of the Akra but the sound is a bit raspy for me. If you like to control the valve, Meisterschaft gives you that option, Akra is ECU controlled.

Due to the annoyance of the previous 2 units' pricing scheme; I decided on the CG unit after viewing some members videos. It comes with 2 remotes to control the valve. The sound note is perfect! low but not raspy. Not that crazy loud; drones a bit at 1500-3000rpm, but that is ok by me - I need to know I have an aftermarket exhaust system. Afterall, who buys exhaust for HP? - if you buy for looks, then just buy the Cyba tips. CG's dual tips is just a little bigger (maybe 3-4mm?) than my old Sport exhaust tips. The manual is detailed enough for you to install yourself. This adds a whole new level of driving exitement - I dig it!
Great notes. Can I ask if the CG exhaust has a drone when the valve is closed or only when it is open?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #20
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Precision View Post
Hi guys,

In case you are not familiar with our setup, hopefully this will answer some questions.

- Our system was designed as the only true 3.5" system from the cat connection back, with no kinks or crushing of the piping. It comes with a CNC V band adapter flange to mate to the factory DP, but when used with our DP it fully eliminates the restriction of the factory size piping and becomes a true 4" to 3.5" exhaust system.

- We recently released our catless DP and will be releasing a superior flowing catted DP in the months to come, after we have finished our testing.

- Our system was designed with 3D exhaust flow simulation (see below) in both open and closed modes to create a very free flowing system with a sporty sound worthy of the racetrack when open but subtle and stealth while closed.

- Because we tune the muffler to have 15% of the exhaust gas, of certain sound frequencies, muffled when the exhaust valve is open, there is virtually no drone even when the valve is open (See flow analysis below)

- Like the Akrapovic, our system can use the factory Comfort, Sport / S+ settings.

- We have also engineered a controller for the electronic valve (the VSC-1) so you can open or close the valve any time you want.

Exhaust sound is subjective and everyone has their own favorite. If you are looking for a very racy sound, but not obnoxiously loud, with the highest flow possible, and ability to control the exhaust valve, we think you would really enjoy what our system offers. Good luck with your decision and your build! Here is the flow analysis:

very helpful thanks!!!

For my point of view your exhaust is better of Akra
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #21
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
Great notes. Can I ask if the CG exhaust has a drone when the valve is closed or only when it is open?
When it's opened, very noticeable with windows down. Can still hear it with windows up.

When it's closed, can still hear it but not as LOUD with windows down. The road noise actually drowns it out. With windows up, can barely hear it.

Funny thing about this exhaust (not sure about others..), "comfort" mode is actually louder on accelation than "Sport/Sport+". Not sure why, so I found myself driving mostly in "comfort" mode.

For your information, the drone and acceleration note is kinda sexy. Not fart-can-like on the aftermarket civics,darts,acuras, evo's, etc; and definitely not v8-pretentious.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #22
henkherrie
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2016 M140i

Made a video of the Akrapovic in action today:

Last edited by henkherrie; 12-23-2014 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Can't embed Youtube for whatever reason
Appreciate 1