F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Anyone able to get their Automatic Start Stop System recoded in the DMV area?
GetBMWParts

08-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Serenitygal3
Formerly bmwluvr3 on e90post.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport

Anyone able to get their Automatic Start Stop System recoded in the DMV area?

Hi,

Has anyone been able to get this ASS recoded to "last user setting" at their service department for free? BMW of Fairfax wanted $299 for 3 hrs of labor!

So if you've had success at a one of the dealership around here and could let me know along with the name of the Service Advisor that helped you, I would really appreciate it!
AT with Shift Paddles - AW/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Aluminum with High Gloss Black Trim - Cold Weather Package - Premium Package - Driver Assistance Package - Driver Assistance Plus - Dynamic Handling Package - Technology Package - Parking Assistant - Harman Kardon Surround Sound System.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
Eric500
um...
Rep
Drives: LC500

I haven't attempted it yet sorry
      08-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
BigDadyCool
Finally after so much BullS#&$!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

should be free the 1st time other dealerships will charge being u didnt do business with them
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
kokopuffs405
Yup
Rep
Drives: BMW?

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
I thought it would be free....
      08-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
sirdrebin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MY2013 335xi sedan ordered

F-30 Recoding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenitygal3 View Post
Hi,

Has anyone been able to get this ASS recoded to "last user setting" at their service department for free? BMW of Fairfax wanted $299 for 3 hrs of labor!

So if you've had success at a one of the dealership around here and could let me know along with the name of the Service Advisor that helped you, I would really appreciate it!
Check other threads on this site which have the complete text of the relevant Service Bulletin which states that the recoding is FREE to the customer and done at their specific request. If you bought it at Fairfax, then call them & wise them up....if they still want $$ then I'd call BMWNA and blow the whistle on them!! Don't settle for that rip-off!! If you bought it elsewhere, then call the SA or Service Dept. at that dealer.

FYI: My car just arrived at Baltimore and I've arranged with my SA to have the re-coding done before I pick it up..probably next week.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Serenitygal3
Formerly bmwluvr3 on e90post.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdrebin View Post
Check other threads on this site which have the complete text of the relevant Service Bulletin which states that the recoding is FREE to the customer and done at their specific request. If you bought it at Fairfax, then call them & wise them up....if they still want $$ then I'd call BMWNA and blow the whistle on them!! Don't settle for that rip-off!! If you bought it elsewhere, then call the SA or Service Dept. at that dealer.

FYI: My car just arrived at Baltimore and I've arranged with my SA to have the re-coding done before I pick it up..probably next week.
Thanks for the tip about contacting BMW NA. I'm going to call around to see if I can get a service center to do the coding free of charge but I've just been too busy. I hope I succeed but if I don't, I'm going to get in contact with bmwna and let them know. Can you let me know if your dealership does the recode for you? Thanks
AT with Shift Paddles - AW/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Aluminum with High Gloss Black Trim - Cold Weather Package - Premium Package - Driver Assistance Package - Driver Assistance Plus - Dynamic Handling Package - Technology Package - Parking Assistant - Harman Kardon Surround Sound System.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
reidpath
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

I live up in Colombia, and can code it for you for free.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
sirdrebin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MY2013 335xi sedan ordered

Quote:
Thanks for the tip about contacting BMW NA. I'm going to call around to see if I can get a service center to do the coding free of charge but I've just been too busy. I hope I succeed but if I don't, I'm going to get in contact with bmwna and let them know. Can you let me know if your dealership does the recode for you? Thanks
Just picked up my car today, have been waiting for an X-Drive since February!
Anyway, the Service Bulletin you want to cite in any calls is SIB 12 15 12 which shows it's free, etc. Mine will be done (FREE) when the latest code "patch" comes in from Munich (estimate 1-2 weeks). My car was produced in August and, when they tried to recode it before delivery, they found the car had later software than the current dealer version! I have a written "We Owe You" form to use as soon as the new version arrives. If I were you, I'd start making those calls: the first to your dealer &, if stiffed, the 2nd to BMW NA. GRRR!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
RJCrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M4 ZCP SO/SO

I got mine done at Casey BMW in Newport News, VA for free. It took them 3 days to recode just because I was the first one to request. oh yeah they gave me a loaner for those 3 days. Now, it works like a charm.

RJ
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
jkyf30
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Hi,

I'm sorry. I'm a newbie. What does the re-coding do?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
skeeny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkyf30 View Post
I'm sorry. I'm a newbie. What does the re-coding do?
Looks like no one responded....do a google search for SIB 12 15 12...you can have ASS set to Last User Mode....

I attempted to get this completed at BMW of Sterling when I picked up my car last week. At first the CA said that there would be a labor charge, then said that I would have to take ownership of the car first before they would recode. Finally, the service department said that they will no longer perform the recode. I stopped short of accusing the guy of lying to me. I subsequently sent my CA the text of the SIB (how can they claim to not see these bulletins?!?!).

I'll live with it as is until I feel like a confrontation...too busy enjoying the car now!

skeeny
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Got mine recoded at no charge and right before pick-up at the dealer. No big deal.
Appreciate 0