F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Pwg vs ewg
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #67
chaungo
=D
chaungo's Avatar
Canada
498
Rep
1,431
Posts

Drives: 13' 335ix
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
I'm sure that's part of it, I'm just wondering if the effort is worth to track down pure ethanol to run an e40 mix since I don't have e85 gas stations here. If someone had a dyno showing a 10hp increase I think I would save myself the hassle.
Nah, don't bother with the stock PWG turbo, just slap on a pure stage 1 or 2, or any other turbo kit that is out for F30s. You're so limited on the PWG turbo it's not even funny, you'll max it out really quickly, and even then, it's really not worth it as maxing out a turbo is not good for the turbo itself.

Take it from someone who tried literally EVERYTHING to get the most out of the PWG turbo. As you can see I gave up and just bought a PS2 and 400whp is so easy, I'm on shitty 91 octane. On 94, I can probably easily squeeze out another 50whp with a custom tune. There's no huge cliff drop after 5k rpm, and it just pulls.
__________________
2013 335i xDrive
Bootmod3 S2, Pure Stage 2, Pure Inlet, GFB DV+, ER CP/TIC CP, ER Catless DP, CTS Turbo FMIC, Borla ATAK, Dinan CF Intake, Dinan Springs, Dinan Shockware
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #68
akgambino
Private
5
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: F30 335xi M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Saskatchewan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
I'm sure that's part of it, I'm just wondering if the effort is worth to track down pure ethanol to run an e40 mix since I don't have e85 gas stations here. If someone had a dyno showing a 10hp increase I think I would save myself the hassle.
Nah, don't bother with the stock PWG turbo, just slap on a pure stage 1 or 2, or any other turbo kit that is out for F30s. You're so limited on the PWG turbo it's not even funny, you'll max it out really quickly, and even then, it's really not worth it as maxing out a turbo is not good for the turbo itself.

Take it from someone who tried literally EVERYTHING to get the most out of the PWG turbo. As you can see I gave up and just bought a PS2 and 400whp is so easy, I'm on shitty 91 octane. On 94, I can probably easily squeeze out another 50whp with a custom tune. There's no huge cliff drop after 5k rpm, and it just pulls.
Sounds expensive lol
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #69
chaungo
=D
chaungo's Avatar
Canada
498
Rep
1,431
Posts

Drives: 13' 335ix
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Sounds expensive lol
Not really, it's pretty cheap for what you get.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:19 AM   #70
SeanWRT
Major
SeanWRT's Avatar
523
Rep
1,095
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Shanghai

iTrader: (0)

My take on 3.5 and 4 inches turbine outlet difference.

Back pressure will be a bit different and there’re a lot of advantages to take from less back pressure with turbocharged motor. As a matter of fact, BMW even uses 4.5 on B58 turbo. While catback pipe that is downstream of downpipe has always been 3 inches. It makes sense as exhaust cools down and shrink as it travels and needs a smaller diameter to keep velocity.

Here is the thing: Far too many PS2 on the road are being pushed far beyond what it is designed for. But there is only so much PS2 can flow. In squeezing last bit power of it, meth, ethanol and a bunch of other dirty tricks play more important roles than half an inch outlet difference.

Probably less back pressure out of 4 inches will net you 15-25whp depends on boost, but PS2 power varies from 400 to 550whp depends on setup, making that difference look insignificant.
__________________
Lemania 2320
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 03:18 AM   #71
enemigo13
Private First Class
27
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 335xi '13 stg1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: LT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Some very early 435i came with PWG. It was VERY rare, and if you were one of the unlucky few
false. no bmw parts catalogue gives 435i with PWG turbocharger and I believe them more than someones rumours.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 03:47 AM   #72
SeanWRT
Major
SeanWRT's Avatar
523
Rep
1,095
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Shanghai

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Some very early 435i came with PWG. It was VERY rare, and if you were one of the unlucky few
false. no bmw parts catalogue gives 435i with PWG turbocharger and I believe them more than someones rumours.
Unfortunately 435i PWG exists.

One of my friend had one and upgraded to Vargas stg2 turbo, before trading it in for a F82.
__________________
Lemania 2320
Appreciate 1
Jadar1087

      10-17-2017, 04:48 AM   #73
Jadar
Brigadier General
Jadar's Avatar
Serbia
1087
Rep
4,076
Posts

Drives: 2013 F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan Ave.

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
false. no bmw parts catalogue gives 435i with PWG turbocharger and I believe them more than someones rumours.
Its actually true. IT was an early 4 series launch that PWG made its way into. Very few actually exist but they do. I believe theryre know as factory sale cars. Basically like dealer demo sort of thing. However I cant confirm locations, not positive if any made their way into the USA.
__________________
FBO-PS1 and stuff
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #74
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
2737
Rep
56,558
Posts


Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N54tuning.com

iTrader: (90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
Its actually true. IT was an early 4 series launch that PWG made its way into. Very few actually exist but they do. I believe theryre know as factory sale cars. Basically like dealer demo sort of thing. However I cant confirm locations, not positive if any made their way into the USA.
We've seen one as well.. They shouldn't exist but BMW is famous for putting parts into cars when they aren't supposed to

Mike
__________________

****BLACK FRIDAY SALES NOW LIVE! - CLICK HERE!!****
N54 Catless Downpipes - 349.00 Shipped!! EVOLUTION RACEWERKS BLACK FRIDAY 25% OFF (+ Free Ship) PURE TURBOS - ON SALE + Free Shipping! JB4s on SALE!! + FREE SHIP
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #75
yoandry
Lieutenant Colonel
yoandry's Avatar
United_States
217
Rep
1,610
Posts

Drives: 13 F30 335i & JGC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
I'm sure that's part of it, I'm just wondering if the effort is worth to track down pure ethanol to run an e40 mix since I don't have e85 gas stations here. If someone had a dyno showing a 10hp increase I think I would save myself the hassle.
e40 will give you more than 10hp for sure. I will say around 30+/- depending on the IC temp and a popper tuning, which you are doing wrong; map5 is auto tuning which octane and temp are the main factors to get higher boost up to 17psi, Thats why you says it feel slow sometime, because it is. So you need e85 for it, otherwise stay in map2.

As hp for pwgs everyone' car is different with different dynos, weather, etc, assuming they have the same mods. But it goes yes from 340whp to 400whp. So you are fine saying "around" 400hp till you actually dyno.
__________________
JB4, VRSF DP, CP, FMIC Race 6, AFE Mtum Intake, MPPK, MP-Alcantara S/Wheels W/race display, MPE, MP-Susp, MP-Brakes, 437M, MP-interior trim, MP-Lip, MP-Diffuser, MP-Spoiler, MP-Rocker Panel, MP-Sills, MP-Pedals, MP-Grille, MP-Mats. Coming Soon: PS2+DV+Inlet+Meth+BM3
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #76
akgambino
Private
5
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: F30 335xi M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Saskatchewan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
I'm sure that's part of it, I'm just wondering if the effort is worth to track down pure ethanol to run an e40 mix since I don't have e85 gas stations here. If someone had a dyno showing a 10hp increase I think I would save myself the hassle.
e40 will give you more than 10hp for sure. I will say around 30+/- depending on the IC temp and a popper tuning, which you are doing wrong; map5 is auto tuning which octane and temp are the main factors to get higher boost up to 17psi, Thats why you says it feel slow sometime, because it is. So you need e85 for it, otherwise stay in map2.

As hp for pwgs everyone' car is different with different dynos, weather, etc, assuming they have the same mods. But it goes yes from 340whp to 400whp. So you are fine saying "around" 400hp till you actually dyno.
Hmmm so need e85 mixture to run map 5 on jb4? Why then did i send a log to BMS to review that was done on map 2 with 94 octane fuel (with 10% ethanol) they told me map 2 was a bit aggressive for the octane (potentially improperly rated 94 octane gas that they told me often happens) and stick to map 1 or 5. I set it to map 5 and it has felt pretty good since.

This is exactly what i am talking about with these cars and tuning, everything is super subjective, there is conflicting information everywhere, and everyone thinks they are right lol
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #77
yoandry
Lieutenant Colonel
yoandry's Avatar
United_States
217
Rep
1,610
Posts

Drives: 13 F30 335i & JGC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Hmmm so need e85 mixture to run map 5 on jb4? Why then did i send a log to BMS to review that was done on map 2 with 94 octane fuel (with 10% ethanol) they told me map 2 was a bit aggressive for the octane (potentially improperly rated 94 octane gas that they told me often happens) and stick to map 1 or 5. I set it to map 5 and it has felt pretty good since.

This is exactly what i am talking about with these cars and tuning, everything is super subjective, there is conflicting information everywhere, and everyone thinks they are right lol
Ok, I thought you were using map5 for more boost as that's what everyone normally use it for as it goes from 12psi up to 17psi. If you want to use less boost than map2 which is 14psi then stick with map1 @ 12psi. Why to use map5 for low boost which is so inconsistent.
__________________
JB4, VRSF DP, CP, FMIC Race 6, AFE Mtum Intake, MPPK, MP-Alcantara S/Wheels W/race display, MPE, MP-Susp, MP-Brakes, 437M, MP-interior trim, MP-Lip, MP-Diffuser, MP-Spoiler, MP-Rocker Panel, MP-Sills, MP-Pedals, MP-Grille, MP-Mats. Coming Soon: PS2+DV+Inlet+Meth+BM3
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #78
enemigo13
Private First Class
27
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 335xi '13 stg1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: LT

iTrader: (0)

lots of wrong info here, like tuned 335i pwg is slower than stock 335i ewg etc, its BS. Don't waste your time reading everyone's opinion, here is +- correct guideline from Peter @ Pureturbos (power is crank hp of course) :

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=94578



Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Hmmm so need e85 mixture to run map 5 on jb4? Why then did i send a log to BMS to review that was done on map 2 with 94 octane fuel (with 10% ethanol) they told me map 2 was a bit aggressive for the octane (potentially improperly rated 94 octane gas that they told me often happens) and stick to map 1 or 5. I set it to map 5 and it has felt pretty good since.

This is exactly what i am talking about with these cars and tuning, everything is super subjective, there is conflicting information everywhere, and everyone thinks they are right lol
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #79
chaungo
=D
chaungo's Avatar
Canada
498
Rep
1,431
Posts

Drives: 13' 335ix
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
lots of wrong info here, like tuned 335i pwg is slower than stock 335i ewg etc, its BS. Don't waste your time reading everyone's opinion, here is +- correct guideline from Peter @ Pureturbos (power is crank hp of course) :

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=94578
What do you mean wrong info

I'm speaking of my own experience, I did a pull with my friend with a EWG and I KNOW it's slower.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:10 AM   #80
enemigo13
Private First Class
27
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 335xi '13 stg1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: LT

iTrader: (0)

stock 335i EWG does more than 360-380 crank hp? sir are you ok? or maybe you can show me _stock_ 435i or 335i ewg which does 0-160km/h (0-100mph) in less than 10 seconds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
What do you mean wrong info

I'm speaking of my own experience, I did a pull with my friend with a EWG and I KNOW it's slower.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:24 AM   #81
chaungo
=D
chaungo's Avatar
Canada
498
Rep
1,431
Posts

Drives: 13' 335ix
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
stock 335i EWG does more than 360-380 crank hp? sir are you ok? or maybe you can show me _stock_ 435i or 335i ewg which does 0-160km/h (0-100mph) in less than 10 seconds?
Here's why ewg is faster.

When you go from a roll or once you get up to speed, you spend 99% of the time above 4500-5k rpm. PWG falls off a cliff after 5k rpm and ewg starts falling after 5800-6k rpm. That extra power band is huge for top end which pwg is lacking.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 03:50 AM   #82
enemigo13
Private First Class
27
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 335xi '13 stg1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: LT

iTrader: (0)

you mentioned your theory several times. pwg falls off the cliff after 5500rpm, and it does 0-160km/h a little below 10 seconds (you can shift earlier to stay on powerband), so I'm asking once more, can you show _stock_ 435i or 335i which could do it also? all I see is 435i with mppk doing 0-160km/h (0-100mph) in about 10.8-11 seconds, I'm not talking about stock at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Here's why ewg is faster.

When you go from a roll or once you get up to speed, you spend 99% of the time above 4500-5k rpm. PWG falls off a cliff after 5k rpm and ewg starts falling after 5800-6k rpm. That extra power band is huge for top end which pwg is lacking.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #83
yoandry
Lieutenant Colonel
yoandry's Avatar
United_States
217
Rep
1,610
Posts

Drives: 13 F30 335i & JGC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Here's why ewg is faster.

When you go from a roll or once you get up to speed, you spend 99% of the time above 4500-5k rpm. PWG falls off a cliff after 5k rpm and ewg starts falling after 5800-6k rpm. That extra power band is huge for top end which pwg is lacking.
Stock for Stock, yes ewg could beat you because of what you are saying, but pwg can also shift early to stay in powerbad as enimigo said. Modded vs stock is something different. You doing something wrong and also yours is xi which if you did a roll race you will lose some power there vs rwd.
__________________
JB4, VRSF DP, CP, FMIC Race 6, AFE Mtum Intake, MPPK, MP-Alcantara S/Wheels W/race display, MPE, MP-Susp, MP-Brakes, 437M, MP-interior trim, MP-Lip, MP-Diffuser, MP-Spoiler, MP-Rocker Panel, MP-Sills, MP-Pedals, MP-Grille, MP-Mats. Coming Soon: PS2+DV+Inlet+Meth+BM3

Last edited by yoandry; 10-18-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 12:28 PM   #84
sicmadek
Captain
126
Rep
699
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i sportline
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: louisiana

iTrader: (0)

Wheres all the stock ewg turbo time slips? I can prove what my pwg ran.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #85
chaungo
=D
chaungo's Avatar
Canada
498
Rep
1,431
Posts

Drives: 13' 335ix
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Stock for Stock, yes ewg could beat you because of what you are saying, but pwg can also shift early to stay in powerbad as enimigo said. Modded vs stock is something different. You doing something wrong and also yours is xi which if you did a roll race you will lose some power there vs rwd.
Both cars were xi when we ran.

And even if you shift early to stay in powerband, you're losing 1000rpm which is huge, he's able to stay longer in a gear and make the same amount of power.
__________________
2013 335i xDrive
Bootmod3 S2, Pure Stage 2, Pure Inlet, GFB DV+, ER CP/TIC CP, ER Catless DP, CTS Turbo FMIC, Borla ATAK, Dinan CF Intake, Dinan Springs, Dinan Shockware
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #86
Jadar
Brigadier General
Jadar's Avatar
Serbia
1087
Rep
4,076
Posts

Drives: 2013 F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan Ave.

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
lots of wrong info here, like tuned 335i pwg is slower than stock 335i ewg etc, its BS. Don't waste your time reading everyone's opinion, here is +- correct guideline from Peter @ Pureturbos (power is crank hp of course) :

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=94578



Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Hmmm so need e85 mixture to run map 5 on jb4? Why then did i send a log to BMS to review that was done on map 2 with 94 octane fuel (with 10% ethanol) they told me map 2 was a bit aggressive for the octane (potentially improperly rated 94 octane gas that they told me often happens) and stick to map 1 or 5. I set it to map 5 and it has felt pretty good since.

This is exactly what i am talking about with these cars and tuning, everything is super subjective, there is conflicting information everywhere, and everyone thinks they are right lol
But you?re also the one spreading incorrect info because lack of experience or seeing something physically just because you didn?t find any parts catalogues listing a PWG 435i and in fact that unicorn does exist. So which shoe are you wearing, just asking don?t take it the wrong way friend.

You?re absolutely correct there are a lot of comments in a lot of threads that are spread and are not true or here-say but there?s also a lot of experienced true facts and comments as well. Bottom line I think we?re all here to help and be helped.
__________________
FBO-PS1 and stuff
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #87
enemigo13
Private First Class
27
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 335xi '13 stg1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: LT

iTrader: (0)

tell about loosing rpms to heavily modified diesel owners like bmw 35d or bmw triturbo 50d with nearly 500hp, they will smoke any modified ewg 335i while revving max up to 4500rpm. If you think that horsepower at e.g. 8000rpm is more real than same horsepower at 4000rpm - you are wrong. horsepower is horsepower. You did not answer my question if any stock ewg 335i could do 0-100mph in less than 10 seconds? Every that I've tested was doing it 1.5-2 seconds later and as you probably understand - it's huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Both cars were xi when we ran.

And even if you shift early to stay in powerband, you're losing 1000rpm which is huge, he's able to stay longer in a gear and make the same amount of power.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #88
enemigo13
Private First Class
27
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 335xi '13 stg1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: LT

iTrader: (0)

I see no pwg turbo options for 435i in any of bmw parts catalogues. That's it, if bmw made preproduction models with pwg turbos - would be interesting to enter its vin and see what turbo and ECU (pwg is mevd17.2.6 while ewg is mevd17.2.g) part catalogue would offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
But you?re also the one spreading incorrect info because lack of experience or seeing something physically just because you didn?t find any parts catalogues listing a PWG 435i and in fact that unicorn does exist. So which shoe are you wearing, just asking don?t take it the wrong way friend.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST