F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Follow Our Live Updates on New BMW Navigation (Comes Nov.) and New iDrive Touchpad
Studio RSR
Closed Thread

07-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow Follow Our Live Updates on New BMW Navigation (Comes Nov.) and New iDrive Touchpad

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Follow Our Live Updates on New BMW Navigation (Comes Nov.) and New iDrive Touchpad
COMMENTS

On next Wednesday, we will be covering a BMW press conference on the latest innovations within BMW ConnectedDrive. The features being covered will include:

1) New BMW Navigation Professional
* Coming to all F30 3 Series models beginning with November production
* Coming to Activehybrid 3, 5 Series and 7 Series as of July production
2) Upcoming iDrive Touch with touchpad control (photos)
* For future models, not the F30 or any current BMW model
3) Updates to voice command system which will include a new dictation feature
4) The latest in App development as well as smartphone integration.

We'll be sharing the information being covered with you LIVE, right here in this thread during the press conference. Simply check back here beginning Wednesday, July 11th, at 1:00 PM EDT / 10:00 AM PDT.

When: July 11 - Wednesday @ 1PM EDT / 10AM PDT
Where: Right here in this thread
How: Simply reload the thread periodically for the live updates (in this first post)

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Quote:

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

I am prepared for the swath of angry 2012/2013 (especially 2013) people who have ordered/built their cars...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
bringonthenite
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive M sport

Thanks for the info Jason. I was on the fence about a week 35 build and Oct. delivery. This may have pushed me over.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezz View Post
I am prepared for the swath of angry 2012/2013 (especially 2013) people who have ordered/built their cars...
Not at all. I prefer my Nav the same way I prefer my Kindle - no touch screen means no fingerprints and cleaning all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
a_k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G31 M550d

Interesting... It seems that Oct production applies to F30 not F31. For F31 it should be from July production or at least I understood from referred thread.
Also there is no touch screen, but some kind of new controller if I understand correctly. Anyway, it seems that with BMW (due to delivery/production time) it does not matter what you order. Part of it will be obsolete before you get it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

damn, it's going to be hard to sell an F30 built in march.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
Not at all. I prefer my Nav the same way I prefer my Kindle - no touch screen means no fingerprints and cleaning all the time.
It's not a touchscreen, but a touchpad surface built onto the top of the iDrive controller. See spy photo image below.

And we won't see the touchpad iDrive in any current BMW model, but most likely starting with the next generation X5 (F15) which is due sometime late next year.

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Oh I see, very cool!

Always great to see tech coming along, however it's not going to lessen the smile when I take delivery of my factory order 328i in four weeks!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Quote:
* Coming to Activehybrid 3, 5 Series and 7 Series as of July production
Damn... miss out on it

But still... will love my F30 regardless
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
UPDATE: Per this thread, the new Navigational Professional system will be on all F30 models beginning with November production
Jason:

Besides the touchwheel on the physical iDrive controller, the rest of the upgrades are all software related.

Any hint as to whether those of us with the non-touch F30 iDrive will still get the software enhancements like faster response, realtime weather, etc?

BJ
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
realtime weather, etc?

BJ

They already have this - just open your sunroof or look out your window
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #13
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
Damn... miss out on it

But still... will love my F30 regardless
+1

Maybe I should update my sig to "June 2012 F30 with the older, better iDrive"

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #14
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Just spoke to the dealer yesterday about ordering a 335; but I think I'll wait for this stuff.

Thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Jason:

Besides the touchwheel on the physical iDrive controller, the rest of the upgrades are all software related.

Any hint as to whether those of us with the non-touch F30 iDrive will still get the software enhancements like faster response, realtime weather, etc?

BJ
While the iDrive controller and the display remain the same, there are other hardware changes. So there's no way to get a software update for the upgrades.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #16
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

There's always gonna be something new in the next production cycle. That's what keeps you coming back. I'll be happy with my '13.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #17
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
They already have this - just open your sunroof or look out your window
Joking aside, the point is more to have weather along your route, not where you are.
I drove in to Dallas yesterday from my PCD pickup and ran into a nasty thunderstorm about 50 miles out..
The rain was so heavy for a while you could not see more than 30-50ft and I was worried about hail as well.
(Luckily managed to find an exit and get to a gas station where I could shelter under the cover.)

So, realtime weather and animated weather radar when there is t-storm activity in the area would be nice.

2012 F30 335i 6MT - Imperial Blue w/Everest Gray: Sport, Adaptive M, Premium, Tech & Parking Pkgs, Assist, Apps
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
While the iDrive controller and the display remain the same, there are other hardware changes. So there's no way to get a software update for the upgrades.

Best regards,
south
Thanks South. In the original post on this topic in the Navi/Technical Subforum, these were the features called out as new:

The next generation Navigation Professional system (609) will be available on the 5 Series Sedan, 5 Series Gran Turismo, 7 Series Sedan and ActiveHybrid 3.

This new system offers faster processing and an enhanced design over the current system and incorporates several great new features:

• Streamlined radio/media menu structure
• Improved navigation submenu structure
• Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
• Weather information in navigation map
• POI enrichment*
• GoogleTM autocomplete*
* requires BMW Assist Convenience Plan.

Can you confirm that this is what's on the table for Wednesday? I'm getting a MY13 which is in production right now and what I'm seeing here looks like a subtle running-change and not some drastic overhaul (now that the confusion over the 'touch' is clarified). "Menu and submenu structures" save some steps but don't imply new functionality. "Advanced" traffic information might have more detail but not necessarily be any faster. "Map weather" and Google and POI stuff isn't a deal breaker.

Before we go crazy and start canceling orders, need to know if this is really all there is.

Thanks.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Thanks South. In the original post on this topic in the Navi/Technical Subforum, these were the features called out as new:

The next generation Navigation Professional system (609) will be available on the 5 Series Sedan, 5 Series Gran Turismo, 7 Series Sedan and ActiveHybrid 3.

This new system offers faster processing and an enhanced design over the current system and incorporates several great new features:

• Streamlined radio/media menu structure
• Improved navigation submenu structure
• Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
• Weather information in navigation map
• POI enrichment*
• GoogleTM autocomplete*
* requires BMW Assist Convenience Plan.

Can you confirm that this is what's on the table for Wednesday? I'm getting a MY13 which is in production right now and what I'm seeing here looks like a subtle running-change and not some drastic overhaul (now that the confusion over the 'touch' is clarified). "Menu and submenu structures" save some steps but don't imply new functionality. "Advanced" traffic information might have more detail but not necessarily be any faster. "Map weather" and Google and POI stuff isn't a deal breaker.

Before we go crazy and start canceling orders, need to know if this is really all there is.

Thanks.

BJ
We got to wait until Wednesday for all details but from my understanding you're spot on. I've spent about a day with cars equipped with the new Nav and it's a noticeable change but not even remotely as dramatic or revolutionary as the change to the current version back in 2008 (new controller). The menus look nicer and it's working quite a bit faster. For example, it allows you to zoom in and out way faster than before. If you had an October built I'd say wait that one more month but it's not worth waiting 3 or 4 more months IMO.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

i'm sure you can easily retrofit the new nav system if you really want to spend $3-$400 dollars on the combox when guys like bimmer-tech.net get their hands on em.

edit - more like $1K
      07-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
We got to wait until Wednesday for all details but from my understanding you're spot on. I've spent about a day with cars equipped with the new Nav and it's a noticeable change but not even remotely as dramatic or revolutionary as the change to the current version back in 2008 (new controller). The menus look nicer and it's working quite a bit faster. For example, it allows you to zoom in and out way faster than before. If you had an October built I'd say wait that one more month but it's not worth waiting 3 or 4 more months IMO.

Best regards,
south
Perfect, thanks. When I first saw this thread yesterday and searched around it appeared that this was going to be some revolutionary touch-interface system and an absolute must-have. But now that it appears it's just a bunch of subtleties I'm not as stressed.

Faster menus and zooms are great, don't get me wrong, but not enough of a dealbreaker to make me wait 3 or 4 months as you say.

Thanks again. I can enjoy my Sunday now.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Jason:

BJ
From elsewhere on this forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by makdeniss
We're not yet sure it is indeed new hardware. I dont think that was mentioned anywhere...
IT IS new hardware.

Intel processor 1.3Ghz vs Renesas 600Mhz
1Gb RAM vs 512Mb
8Gb flash vs 512Mb
Nvidia graphics vs Fujitsu
200Gb harddisk vs 80Gb
btw... new system has wireless chip inside. That opens up new possibilities.