F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport +
Extreme Powerhouse

05-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Monaco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jaguar XF Portfolio Sport

Sport +

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I generally never play around in Sport +. Well this morning on my way back from the gym, I hit an open stretch of twisty road and threw it all the way into Sport +.

What is confusing to me is the display tells me "Dynamic Traction Control Activated" but then the icon for traction contol "OFF" is illuminated. Photo below

What is really going on here? Are there any other advantages to Sport + versus plain old Sport?

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

As far as I know, the only difference between Sport and Sport+ is that traction control is turned OFF (Or severely reduced, at least) I believe the throttle response and steering is the same between Sport and Sport+
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Monaco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jaguar XF Portfolio Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
As far as I know, the only difference between Sport and Sport+ is that traction control is turned OFF (Or severely reduced, at least) I believe the throttle response and steering is the same between Sport and Sport+
That was always my understanding as well, except the dashboard's verbiage is confusing when it says "traction control activated"
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Pressing Sport + or DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) once turns on DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) which is a part of DSC. This optimises forward momentum with reduced vehicle stability. So that means that if wheel slip is what will optimise forward momentum, it'll let it slip. But because of this, there is less stability control so the car will slide about more until the system (DSC) intervenes severely.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Normal traction control will kick in to eliminate ALL slippage. DTC will only intervene if you're spinning wheels in any direction other than straight ahead - in which case dynamic stability control will kick in.

In a nutshell, it'll allow you to do burnouts all day long so long as you don't crank on the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Sport+ is a great way of having a bit of safety left as TC/DSC is not turned completely off. But it allows you to have some wheelspin. I cannot deal with SPORT as it cuts power on my 1-2 and 2-3 shift, bogging the car. Sport+ allows the wheels to spin.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I generally never play around in Sport +. Well this morning on my way back from the gym, I hit an open stretch of twisty road and threw it all the way into Sport +.

What is confusing to me is the display tells me "Dynamic Traction Control Activated" but then the icon for traction contol "OFF" is illuminated. Photo below

What is really going on here? Are there any other advantages to Sport + versus plain old Sport?
Yeah, BMW does a bad job of labeling the various traction/stability control modes. Basically, Dynamic Traction Control is a mode of traction control that allows for more wheel spin. So in SPORT+, full-nanny traction control is off and Dynamic traction control is on.

Find yourself a deserted, obstacle free parking lot - an autocross would be ideal - and test out full-throttle tight turns. You'll find the engine power severely cut back to prevent wheel spin while in SPORT, but in SPORT+ it wont be nearly as intrusive.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

For some reason I feel that Sport+ is a tiny bit more aggressive than Sport. If you really want to kill all nannies just hold down the DTC button for like 5 seconds. That will turn off DTC and DSC.
Appreciate 0