F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > chargepipe and exhaust
Studio RSR

06-11-2015, 03:57 AM   #1
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

chargepipe and exhaust

i have some questions regarding the chargepipe and exhaust from downpipe to the end, and maybe stage 1 piggyback. Its for n20 engine.
After these mods, is it OK to not have it tuned? Or getting it tuned is absolutely necessary? I wonder if not getting it tuned would cause the car to run rich or something. I know getting it tuned brings the most power out of each mod but the budget won't allow it yet.
      06-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthis View Post
i have some questions regarding the chargepipe and exhaust from downpipe to the end, and maybe stage 1 piggyback. Its for n20 engine.
After these mods, is it OK to not have it tuned? Or getting it tuned is absolutely necessary? I wonder if not getting it tuned would cause the car to run rich or something. I know getting it tuned brings the most power out of each mod but the budget won't allow it yet.
Your post is hard to understand. A Stage 1 piggyback IS an aftermarket tune.

A chargepipe (imo) is pointless without a tune. The stock one should be fine for stock boost. Even a Stage 1 tune, it is not necessary.

A downpipe + exhaust will give you some more power, and a lot more noise. But a tune would be able to utilize those mods better.

If you can't afford a $300-500 tune,
1) why are you driving a roughly $40k car?
2) save your pennies for the tune before doing other mods. you will notice the most benefit with the tune first and supporting mods will be at their full potential
      06-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

I was talking about ecu tuning which is more expensive then stage 1 piggyback.
I thought with ecu tuning, you can make fine adjustment rather than just upping powering.
so i guess my question is, after downpipe+exhaust, chargepipe, and maybe intercooler, is it necessary to put the car on dyno and smoothen out the curves using ecu tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post

A chargepipe (imo) is pointless without a tune. The stock one should be fine for stock boost. Even a Stage 1 tune, it is not necessary.

A downpipe + exhaust will give you some more power, and a lot more noise. But a tune would be able to utilize those mods better.

2) save your pennies for the tune before doing other mods. you will notice the most benefit with the tune first and supporting mods will be at their full potential
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

No need for an ECU tune.
If anything the Piggy at this stage is a lot more powerful and has more features than the ECU tune.

If you are looking for sound, get an exhaust

If you want power, start with a JB4 + CP + Catless DP + FMIC.
In this order.

If you do not want to get catless DP, get a stage 1 instead of the JB4.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 02:11 AM   #5
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
No need for an ECU tune.
If anything the Piggy at this stage is a lot more powerful and has more features than the ECU tune.

If you are looking for sound, get an exhaust

If you want power, start with a JB4 + CP + Catless DP + FMIC.
In this order.

If you do not want to get catless DP, get a stage 1 instead of the JB4.
I was actually thinking about this order : Catless DP -> Stage 1 -> CP +FMIC.
i thought that if i'm changing either CP or FMIC then why not change them out at the same time.
Do you think these would work without having to worry about running the car too rich or too lean? And this setup would bring pretty good amount of power?
      06-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
i thought that if i'm changing either CP or FMIC then why not change them out at the same time.
Do you think these would work without having to worry about running the car too rich or too lean? And this setup would bring pretty good amount of power?

Changing the intercooler and charge pipe at the same time is a very good idea.
You probably want to also add the turbo to intercooler charge pipe to as well.

If you are getting a DP, you should get the JB4 instead of the stage 1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
goon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i AW

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
catless DP will bring a CEL along with it, so you'd need a JB4 if you want it auto-cleared.
      06-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goon View Post
catless DP will bring a CEL along with it, so you'd need a JB4 if you want it auto-cleared.
i did a search and it says that i could get the CEL canceller which would only cost like $20. would that work?
      06-13-2015, 01:08 AM   #9
r33_RGSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthis
Quote:
Originally Posted by goon View Post
i did a search and it says that i could get the CEL canceller which would only cost like $20. would that work?
If you don't mind keep clearing the CEL everytime it pops up.
Also, keeping the car ECU on learning mode on every reset, which causing the car not running fully optimized.
I would just leave the CEL light instead of spending $20 and the hassle. It does the same thing but with the engine will be optimized.
Regarding your mods, I would do in this order:

- Chargepipe (since I wouldn't want it to break, because it does break under stock boost)
- Tune (RaceChip Ultimate or BMS Stage 1 if you are not planning for catless downpipe, but BMS JB4 Stage 2 if you are going with catless or just ignore the light)
- Catless downpipe
- FMIC (I put this in last since the stock one is sufficient enough. But would be better if you got the budget to do it. Ideally, labor wise would be more cost efficient to do it together with the chargepipes).

Good luck and I hope this help answer the question.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
hevykevy420
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post

I was in the dealership lobby and a service advisor told the grandma sitting next to me that her chargepipe was cracked, and that he would replace it under warranty and he was surprised it broke running stock boost. She replied something to the affect of "guess I have a lead foot" . Don't know for sure, but she did not look like a member of the tuner/mod crowd. I think the chargepipe can fail even running an all stock car and OEM boost levels.

Some folks would argue money spent on making your car more reliable is always the best money spent and strengthening components that receive additional stress from other mods before those mods are installed should be prioritized.
1977 Yamaha XT500
1975 BMW R90/6 & 1969 R69S
Appreciate 1