F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Electric Steering Tune?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #45
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 Saphire Black/Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingtiger03 View Post
I didn't read through the ENTIRE thread, but IMO, if we could just get rid of that dead off balance feeling in the first 1-2% of the wheel or switching from on center to just off-center, that would be excellent, as everywhere else I feel the steering behaves great. Switchbacks or dead neutral to left/right hander... no, just no. I hate it.
That dead spot in the middle where the power turns off briefly to save a teaspoon of fuel a year sucks and took me a year to get somewhat used to. On top of that there is no road communication when driving like the prior series of 3ers. It feels more like a joy stick in a game.
      11-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #46
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danddd View Post
That dead spot in the middle where the power turns off briefly to save a teaspoon of fuel a year sucks and took me a year to get somewhat used to. On top of that there is no road communication when driving like the prior series of 3ers. It feels more like a joy stick in a game.
Pretty much exactly this, though I'm still not 'used to' it.

The steering blows on these cars and anyone who asserts otherwise is just full of

cope
o
p
e
Appreciate 1
Danddd74.50
      11-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #47
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingtiger03 View Post
I didn't read through the ENTIRE thread, but IMO, if we could just get rid of that dead off balance feeling in the first 1-2% of the wheel or switching from on center to just off-center, that would be excellent, as everywhere else I feel the steering behaves great. Switchbacks or dead neutral to left/right hander... no, just no. I hate it.
I've driven EPS like you describe, very "elastic band", but not in a BMW. I was driving an E91 with HPAS (some E9x models in Europe had EPS) and moved to an F11 with EPS and on-centre feel is virtually identical.

Seems to be a lot of variation across examples. I question the zero angle calibration of some steering systems.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #48
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danddd View Post
That is the bit I don't understand, do you really feel it like a switch? Pleased my car doesn't have that feeling.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #49
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 Saphire Black/Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
That is the bit I don't understand, do you really feel it like a switch? Pleased my car doesn't have that feeling.
My SA at Bill Jacobs BMW let me try some other 328s. They were all similar. He said a lot of people complain about the steering and there was an update sometime before 2016, the year it was improved.
      05-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #50
daac
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive Msport

I have 2016 340 with VSS. Steering definately has little road feel. Hard to tell what the wheels are doing in a turn. I saw a YouTube video where they were inquiring from BMW engineers about how the system is tuned. From what they said they specifically tuned out some of the feel for particular reasons. Things like if the road was grooved on an angle it could causing some vibration or torque on the steering why would you want to feel that. They added that by tuning this out the car it will continue to go on the path it is pointed regardless of these "negative" feedbacks you would normally have to fight. In doing this they have also tuned out some of the good. With the proper map I think it can be just as good.
Appreciate 0