F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Leather bump inspected
GetBMWParts

06-20-2015, 01:48 AM   #1
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Leather bump inspected

I noticed a bump on the rear leather seat. I took it to the dealer and got it inspected by a BMW Fields Engineer (lucky that the Engineer was on-site at the same time). He said that leather got this defect because of an insect bite. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm curious to know how can a insect bite cause the leather to deform like this.

They gave me the option to have it replaced but dealer will have to order the seat from Germany. I was wondering if I should go ahead and get it replaced? Please advise as I'm scared the dealer might create a new issues or damage something in the car during the replacement process (or am I over thinking???).
Attached Images

2009 BMW 328i

Last edited by buckybadger; 06-20-2015 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

This is on the back seat? I'm not even sure what I'm looking at and yet you went to the dealer for this?

That seat covering was once an animal, animals get bit and get scarred all the time. The leather supplier thought you wouldn't notice and it passed QC.

Me, I would have never taken something so trivial to the dealer, especially a REAR seat. Furthermore, there is NO WAY I would let them replace it as the probability of them screwing something else up is relatively high.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
This is on the back seat? I'm not even sure what I'm looking at and yet you went to the dealer for this?

That seat covering was once an animal, animals get bit and get scarred all the time. The leather supplier thought you wouldn't notice and it passed QC.

Me, I would have never taken something so trivial to the dealer, especially a REAR seat. Furthermore, there is NO WAY I would let them replace it as the probability of them screwing something else up is relatively high.

Good luck.
The mark is noticeable and its a new car still under warranty so why not get it replaced if dealer is willing to?

I mean how hard is it to replace a back seat for the dealer? I thought it was just pulling the thing out and putting the new one in.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
Please advise as I'm scared the dealer might create a new issues or damage something in the car during the replacement process (or am I over thinking???).
This always happens to me. Go in for a small issue car comes back dirty, scratched, grease all over the interior. I say leave it alone. Plus think of the cow that died for your backseat that you're gonna just throw away.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
Nonamesplease
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

I can empathise with this issue, once had to put something heavy in my mini roadster on the front seat and it marked the leather, once seen the defect always bugged me.

If your dealer will do it under warranty I'd say why not?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys!

Can color matching be an issue?
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 07:12 AM   #7
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks guys!

Can color matching be an issue?
Of course if the leather comes from a different dye lot. But remember, it'll be the back seat and you'll never notice.

You should do Individual and ask for free range leather next time. That should help with the perfect leather you so desire.

Sorry, I think you're just asking for trouble. Again, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #8
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
I noticed a bump on the rear leather seat. I took it to the dealer and got it inspected by a BMW Fields Engineer (lucky that the Engineer was on-site at the same time). He said that leather got this defect because of an insect bite. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm curious to know how can a insect bite cause the leather to deform like this.

They gave me the option to have it replaced but dealer will have to order the seat from Germany. I was wondering if I should go ahead and get it replaced? Please advise as I'm scared the dealer might create a new issues or damage something in the car during the replacement process (or am I over thinking???).
BMW of SD is willing to give you a new seat cover/whole seat? My driver seat also has one of these long bumps, but it does not bother me. It is part of the leather and for all you know the new one will have some defects as well. Leather is far from perfect, but if the dealing is willing to give you a new cover or even the whole seat then go for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 02:24 AM   #9
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone.

I have decided not to replace the seat (Yes this is the base). I had a quick chat with my adviser and he said that there's always a chance for a slight color mismatch because the original and replacement leather dyes will be different. The BMW fields engineer recommends to keep the seat because everything matches and is intact in my car. For lighter colors the difference will be more noticeable as compared to darker ones. On top of this, there might still be imperfections on the replacement seat. Since most of us have such blemishes on the Dakota leather and its a natural mark, I'm okay with it. No point of breaking my mind on this and opening a new can of worms (if I replaced it).

Just going to enjoy the car as it is!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0